Who’s using pro mix? Jacks 321?

I used FFOF for my houseplants, and as a base soil for a couple years, and I can say with certainty that I don’t like it. It’s consistently K deficient, but also burned my young plants… so it’s both not enough, and too much. Once I repotted my house plants into a different soil they went from surviving to thriving. Just my 2 cents

4 Likes

It was just something I was thinking about. I’ve had great success just using straight up pro mix bx with bottle nutes. I thought there used to be a recipe floating around that people liked that was essentially pro mix and ffof with a few other things.

I think I’m gonna get the jacks 321 a shot with some liquid karma and silica blast. Have calmag on deck already if needed and a bag of mykos. Like I said I was gonna give the growers choice grow dots a shot but the jacks is just so much more cost efficient

2 Likes

I’ve thought about switching from botanicare because it’s expensive. BUT - it works, I don’t need to pH it, and I’m not going to mess with my whole system to save $15 or whatever it is.

4 Likes

You can use Pro mix in a soil based medium. Basically treat it as peat if you are using a regular recipe like KIS.
The trick is once mixed, let it ‘sit’ for a month. By ‘sit’ I mean keep it moist and turn it over a couple times. That seems to stabilize it.

Cheers
G

6 Likes

In addition to the extra perlite that kind member’s recommended, I would add dolomite lime (1/4 cup per gallon promix) to help keep your PH neutral.

2 Likes

I quit Promix. Now I buy bales of Canadian peat and an equal size bag off Perlite. Some lime as suggested, a little EWC. Call it good. YOU control any adds, nutes, etc. Not whoever mixed that million bags with a scoop loader in a parking lot. But that’s just me.

5 Likes

I thought about constructing my own version of pro mix but just bought the bale. I’m all about simplicity at the moment lol

1 Like

I feel this. Especially if I’m adding biochar!

4 Likes

Yeah I’m really on the fence. I’ve been reading and seen people use the jacks and just run it and not have any issues with ph.

I’m gonna do some more inter webs digging and see what else I can find :nerd_face:

@Foreigner and I share the same city… I have no idea how he gets stable PH using the same tap-water?!

2 Likes

@Pigeonman I’ve used city water, different well waters and never had any issues with ph lol never even checked it

1 Like

My water varies a lot. Never under 7 coming in. I just ph adjust and go. Ph hasn’t been an issue.

1 Like

I think it’s the combination of inputs. Our water is relatively neutral and the peat is very acidic.

1 Like

Lucky. Mine swings with the seasons for reasons beyond my understanding. So I test-test-test!
Though some mix combos settle the ph to 6.2-3 where i like it. Some mixes.

1 Like

According to the city of Toronto acceptable tolerance is between 7.0 and 7.5 (so it doesn’t eat the pipes)

My numbers are pretty close to that.

2 Likes

Yeah… :man_shrugging:

The last # is the total number of samples taken.

1 Like

Gotta luv neutral tap water. Ours is 7.0 also.

1 Like

I guess their numbers are taken at the source. Who knows what they move through to get to us.

1 Like

I tried looking up what my city water has its ph at but didn’t have any luck. Now I’m curious lol gonna have to order a meter

1 Like

This is a great way to save a buck, promix = peat and perlite.

Good point!
I always hear folks with pre-mixed soil complain they are having issues.

3 Likes