Who’s using pro mix? Jacks 321?

Hows it going guys? I’m working on getting everything all set for 2 4x4 tents. I’ve gotten to the point I need to figure out what I’m gonna do for nutrients.

The medium I’m using is pro mix bx.

I think I’m sold on trying the jacks 321 but I was also thinking about adding some FFOF to the bale along with a little more perlite. Or at least picking up some liquid karma and silica blast. I also already have a bag of mykos to try out and some cal mag.

Any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated :raised_hands::v:

12 Likes

Extra perlite is good. Let soil get really dry and the pot be light before watering again. Water lightly, wait a few minutes, then water a little more.
If you keep a plant vegging long term, get a skewer and gently poke into the soil and wiggle it in a few places. This will help loosen compacted soil and help aerate.
Works great for cloning too, with a heat mat and humidity dome. Just keep soil moist using Ph correct water and very light dose of balanced nutes. Around 2 weeks depending on variety.

4 Likes

I haven’t tried it yet, but my next grow will be grown with a mix of roots organic 707 and some pro mix HP. I’m also switching to Drip Hydro nutrients after seeing amazing results.

2 Likes

It’s my understanding that using soil… ffof… with soiless… promix… will be a hard way to grow as ph is different in each medium… just a thought buddy @A-Loc

3 Likes

Forget anything Fox Farm , just use extra perlite . Superb medium I use it or Sunshine 4 exclusively .

9 Likes

I like promix HP and used to add extra perlite but now don’t bother. Works good.

12 Likes

Which did you get, reg or high porosity? That high porosity is (IMHO) a pain in the ass…it seems to dry faster and unevenly compared to eg. Promix BX…
Last 2 bales we bought must have skipped inspection/quality control-- were full of sticks, bark, and had algae in one…that one also had a freaking PENNY in it!
What bothers me most about it, is we’ve used it for 4 years with no problems… this crap nearly killed some of our plants-- had no choice but to sift and use it for replanting because there was nothing else available here at the time.

6 Likes

I just got the bx in the white bale. I’ve used it numerous times before with great success using Botanicare and fox farm liquid nutes. Just wanted to switch things up a bit

5 Likes

On the front, under the BX- it would say HP…if it doesn’t-- yer good!

1 Like

Almost positive it’s just the regular bx but I’ll check :sweat_smile:

I also use botanicare with pro mix

3 Likes

All day, everyday!

Add extra perlite (med) and I find watering by weight to be the best (for me at least). I lift the pot and feel if it needs a drink. :ok_hand:

:fist_right: :fist_left:

4 Likes

I have no issues with promix bx . Use it in my bottom feeders , in my mothers , in my seedlings . I use 25 percent extra perlite in it as I like my soil looser and well draining . That mix cannot drown a plant . Sunshine 4 is even better in my opinion but I can’t source it here last year or so .

I DO completely go through each bale by HAND and pull out the “junk” and break it up well before mixing in the perlite. Find all manner of shit in there , and fist sized clumps of peat , sticks , rocks, bottle caps, and even a dead lizard once , lol . He was like mummified
I pour bale in big wheel barrow and sit outside working it by hand . Takes an hour to do a good job , but then I don’t have to do it again. I re use the mix, over n over again . Some of my Sunshine 4 is near 10 years old , lol

12 Likes

If I’m not mistaken promix ho is a coco medium and ffof is a soul medium I wouldn’t mix them together.
You will be fine with promix ho and some silica ,mykos and jacks 321…
Good luck hope this helps.

3 Likes

I always used the promix as a blank slate… why pay for soil with nutes in it already when I can add my own much cheaper and built my soil. I always added perlite, and added lime along with other stuff. Never had to check ph

7 Likes

Been using ProMix HP for a good long time and love it. I add my other goodies into it.

3 Likes

@Foreigner I did like it, all i used was the pure blend pro grow and bloom, liquid karma, and cal mag. Super simple and the plants loved it.

@Jetdro yeah I do the same lol I’ve found pieces of plastic straws and other random plastic. Nothing too crazy.

@Mrgreenthumb yeah I’ve had nothing but good experiences using pro mix. Plants always grow super healthy roots. My last indoor I was using 5 gallon plastic grow bags and the roots grew so much and dense they were making the grow bag expand to the point I couldn’t pull it off lol just always let it get good and dry between watering.

2 Likes

I’ve got the bx not the ho. No coco. I think the ocean forest has some coco but I think it has more peat moss like the pro mix. It was just a thought though adding it in. I thought I remembered people using them together back in the day.

1 Like

Part of me wants to just stick with the pure blend pro grow and bloom because it worked so well before. Still been using the grow on my outdoors.

The jacks 321 is a killer bang for the buck though and seems just as easy to use as the Botanicare. I was thinking about trying the growers choice grow dots but they are on the pricey side and the whole spirit of my grow is gonna be showing you don’t have to spend thousands of bucks to grow a bunch of high quality flower.

:v:

1 Like

What’s up guys? Had to thro my two Pennie’s in here. I’ve ran promix hp mc cc for about five years now. Not my favorite but dam good. I also use roots organic dry amendments. If you’re going to be going the organic route then stay away from ffof. Not truely organic. Close but not close enough. Also when running organics you don’t want your soil running dry it kills the microbiology in the root zone. My favorite medium to use is advanced sunshine #4. Black and yellow bale. Love that shit.

Grundle

3 Likes