Why is my Jacks wet?

I got the jacks kit with the different bags of nutes this summer. I’m figuring it out, because I’m stupid and things take me a long time.

However, the nutes are wet. Like they attract humidity. I am very careful to fold over and seal the bags and not drip in it or use wet scoops. It’s also like 12% humidity right now, so maybe I should leave the bag open to air out.

It’s the clone and main formulas. The flower and finish are very sandy and dry.

I’d love suggestions and experiences!

2 Likes

I have found in my experiences once your nutes get wet from moisture there is no way to dry it out very well.

4 Likes

Nutrient formulations have chemicals that are hygroscopic. They dry the air by absorbing the water. Ammonium sulfate, for example.

Place dry nutrients in a 5 gallon bucket, or something is appropriate, with a gamma, leaktite, some screw-on lid with a seal. Tightly close the container. I usually add some desiccant as well.

As far as drying out a quantity, it might be better to buy more. Wet nutrients are still good but they are messy, weighing them will be inaccurate, and it’s hard to say if it’s still homogenous.

14 Likes

I transfer mine to large jars with a sealed lid as it takes me awhile to use a big bag. Helps keep it from absorbing moisture from the air.

5 Likes

I remove a portion and use that from a container and don’t open the main bag very often. My solution works for me since I am not using a great deal of nutrient, but certainly it absorbs moisture from the air.

It would be best to store even that in a sealed jar. These resealable bags don’t need a lot to fail

6 Likes

I didn’t add desiccants. I do store my nutes in a 5 gal bucket with a gamma lid. They were fine until they weren’t. What kind of desiccants? I usually like the bagged one at Walmart. Dryzit?

I’m strongly considering going back to maxibloom anyway. I’ll make a decision after I use up what I have, even if it’s messy

1 Like

Like the ones you’d find in consumer packaging but bigger. I used to buy desiccant packs by the bucket from u-line. They can only control the humidity down to 20-30%, though. I’m not familiar with dryzit, might work.

The better desiccants are called molecular sieves and can get humidity down into the single digits.

5 Likes

My Calnit stays wet continuously. It will absorb moisture in the lowest humidity.

I store mine in buckets with a sealing lid. I keep a couple cups in gallon ziplock bags for immediate use.

2 Likes

It will make you cry. That’s why I use liquids.

2 Likes

Had this happen with my jacks as well. Hygroscopic. Keep all my dry stuff airtight now

3 Likes

I had this same issue and reached out to indoorfarmer which is where I ordered it from. They said the response they got grom Jack’s last time this happened was as follows.

"JR Peters is concerned about proper storage of the fertilizer products at customer locations. Water soluble fertilizers are very “hydroscopic”, they are designed to absorb water. If the storage area is humid, the product will become soupy. It does not affect the performance of the product in any way, agree it may be a bit messy but there’s no harm.”

So according to Jack’s it should not harm the product when it becomes soupy but as you mentioned, it will be more difficult to measure accurately and will be messy. :v:

6 Likes

That’s good to know Jacks has made this statement. That’s what I’m finding now, messy and hard to measure, but it doesn’t seem to be harming the plants.

1 Like

Won’t this mess w/ the ratios if you measure it all by weight though? Maybe mixing stock solutions is the way to go once it gets hard to work with. I’ll have to keep a closer eye on mine I guess.

I would go with measuring it with teaspoons and just add a bit extra. Check your PPM’s on a good mix and use that information to mix the wet stuff would also work I would think.

3 Likes

Just as a further update to that bag of wet Jacks. Indoor farmer ended up sending me a new bag but since they told me it wouldn’t hurt the product, I kept using it and just finished the bag. It was almost like soup by the time I was done but the plants didn’t care at all. I just upped the dosage a bit. So while it was a bit sloppy to work with, it still did the job. :v:

11 Likes