Wiki editing etiquette and steps

The bold is to signify your countries distributor already had your address on file.

5 Likes

Thanks for the info @Grohio , I did not know that. Much appreciated.

3 Likes

You should make your post a wiki…

I see a typo :wink:

3 Likes

LOL, tray, try, people understood :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Shameless bumb

This could be a sticky

:dash:

3 Likes

Now how to create a wiki. TL3 members can make their own posts a wiki for I believe it is 30 days, past that they will need someone from TeamOG or the MOD team to do it for them. To make your post a wiki you first click the 3 little dots on bottom right of your post.

From there you click the wrench that appears.

wrench

Now you click on make wiki and you are done.

make wiki

It’s a quick and simple process. Hope this helps folks out.

5 Likes

how do you add your "contry’s’ flag to your name – reference co-op runs

2 Likes

So I am in Canada so it’s : canada : without the spaces which gives you :canada: . For USA it’s : US : without the spaces which gives you :us: Same for : UK : :uk: etc.

5 Likes

can’t seem to do it to the co-op sign-in I’m #59 trust level 2

2 Likes

You are missing the colon on the end. There needs to be one at the beginning and end bud. Just add a colon after US: so it is colonUScolon @hawkman

EDIT: I fixed it for your @hawkman

1 Like

As an example for folks look at this. The wiki signup has 150 spots. There were 370 edits on this wiki and at that point only 127 spots filled. That means almost every entry had to be done 3 times. Well 2.9 but you get the point. During all those edits many people who signed up got booted off due to over writing. So imagine signing up for something, logging off and coming back to find out someone had wiped you off the list. This leads to a ton of frustration for folks when they should really be feeling gratitude to the grower and those involved in making the run happen. Be good to each other folks and take the time to be extra careful when editing a wiki. It will lead to a much better experience for all.

image 127

6 Likes

Now a note on how a wiki works so folks can have an understanding of what is going on. Think of it like saving a spread sheet. 3 people are in a new wiki and it’s blank, all 3 are in a version that has no data and they each open up a draft to edit. The first person saves in spot 1.
user1

The first person saving updated the wiki but it does not update the draft copies that the other 2 have open. Now the second person that saves puts their name in spot 5 but all other spots are blank on their draft version so when they save it replaces spot one with a blank.

user2

Now the third person puts their name on spot 2. When they save their draft version only has them on slot 2 and all other spots are blank so it changes spot 5 to a blank as that’s what the draft version they are saving shows.

Because each person had a blank draft open and that draft is not affected by what is done to the wiki in real time it will kill all updates done to the actual wiki while they had their draft open.

A bit long winded I know but I am hoping that will help folks understand why the overwriting happens.

11 Likes

@DougDawson you should also show, in your awesome pictorial style, what/where to look (top right) to see if there is someone else currently editing a wiki…as in impending edit conflict unless someone quietly back away… :grin:

:pray:
:robot:

2 Likes

I did bud, it’s the second pic in the OP which says “When you enter a Wiki look to see if anyone is already editing. In this pic you can see I am in a Wiki and it shows someone already editing in the top right corner.” :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Learning about that feature, looking at the top right hand corner to see if someone is already editing, was eye opening. Specifically, the extra load it puts on the site to deal with all of the error messages, even if the members aren’t clicking to overwrite, it’s still making the system work to display the error messages and go through that whole process of x out the tab and refresh and trying again.

As someone who got frustrated with the whole process trying to sign up for the Temple Flo seed increase, I learned that with simple observation I could have foregone much of my own frustrations had I understand how the system works a bit better. In surfing we have something called a lineup, because usually only one surfer surfs on a wave at a time. Not much unlike the wiki editing. If it’s showing someone currently editing, that pretty much represents someone who is next in line for the the wave and to wait for the top right hand corner to be clear before actually proceeding with your edit. Before surfing your wave :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to the next sign up so that I can exercise these new learned skills. Really appreciate @DougDawson for sharing these tips with us so we can navigate the site together harmoniously. Much love

6 Likes

Right on man, surf’s up dude next wiki

2 Likes

It should also be noted if someone saves a wiki while you have your draft open their avatar will show up on bottom left of screen with the words “edit conflict” beside it. I will post a pic of that when I get home, don’t have it handy here.

4 Likes

Yes, someone gifted with the power make this thread a sticky please.
It’s necessary for the new members. :smile:

3 Likes

So as promised this is what you will see when someone saves an edit while you are in there. It is the 3rd pic in the OP.

3 Likes

Okay, so I was literally just asking maybe 5 minutes ago in a different thread what a wiki is. I hadn’t gotten near the how to edit level, rofl, and then I stumble onto this! I blame it on my drug induced stupor. stoned-smiley

@DougDawson, thanks so much for starting this thread! d8JBdDJ

3 Likes