Wiki editing etiquette and steps

Now a note on how a wiki works so folks can have an understanding of what is going on. Think of it like saving a spread sheet. 3 people are in a new wiki and it’s blank, all 3 are in a version that has no data and they each open up a draft to edit. The first person saves in spot 1.
user1

The first person saving updated the wiki but it does not update the draft copies that the other 2 have open. Now the second person that saves puts their name in spot 5 but all other spots are blank on their draft version so when they save it replaces spot one with a blank.

user2

Now the third person puts their name on spot 2. When they save their draft version only has them on slot 2 and all other spots are blank so it changes spot 5 to a blank as that’s what the draft version they are saving shows.

Because each person had a blank draft open and that draft is not affected by what is done to the wiki in real time it will kill all updates done to the actual wiki while they had their draft open.

A bit long winded I know but I am hoping that will help folks understand why the overwriting happens.

11 Likes

@DougDawson you should also show, in your awesome pictorial style, what/where to look (top right) to see if there is someone else currently editing a wiki…as in impending edit conflict unless someone quietly back away… :grin:

:pray:
:robot:

2 Likes

I did bud, it’s the second pic in the OP which says “When you enter a Wiki look to see if anyone is already editing. In this pic you can see I am in a Wiki and it shows someone already editing in the top right corner.” :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Learning about that feature, looking at the top right hand corner to see if someone is already editing, was eye opening. Specifically, the extra load it puts on the site to deal with all of the error messages, even if the members aren’t clicking to overwrite, it’s still making the system work to display the error messages and go through that whole process of x out the tab and refresh and trying again.

As someone who got frustrated with the whole process trying to sign up for the Temple Flo seed increase, I learned that with simple observation I could have foregone much of my own frustrations had I understand how the system works a bit better. In surfing we have something called a lineup, because usually only one surfer surfs on a wave at a time. Not much unlike the wiki editing. If it’s showing someone currently editing, that pretty much represents someone who is next in line for the the wave and to wait for the top right hand corner to be clear before actually proceeding with your edit. Before surfing your wave :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to the next sign up so that I can exercise these new learned skills. Really appreciate @DougDawson for sharing these tips with us so we can navigate the site together harmoniously. Much love

6 Likes

Right on man, surf’s up dude next wiki

2 Likes

It should also be noted if someone saves a wiki while you have your draft open their avatar will show up on bottom left of screen with the words “edit conflict” beside it. I will post a pic of that when I get home, don’t have it handy here.

4 Likes

Yes, someone gifted with the power make this thread a sticky please.
It’s necessary for the new members. :smile:

3 Likes

So as promised this is what you will see when someone saves an edit while you are in there. It is the 3rd pic in the OP.

3 Likes

Okay, so I was literally just asking maybe 5 minutes ago in a different thread what a wiki is. I hadn’t gotten near the how to edit level, rofl, and then I stumble onto this! I blame it on my drug induced stupor. stoned-smiley

@DougDawson, thanks so much for starting this thread! d8JBdDJ

3 Likes

Hehe. Doug directed me to this shortly after my first and only(knock on wood) accidental overwrite. It’s very useful information that everyone should see. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

No problem @mota. It’s actually a rule that this page and a couple others are supposed to be read prior to signing up for runs. Hopefully more folks will read through it and save themselves the consequences.

3 Likes

Nice work @DougDawson … Always lookin out gromigo

1 Like

Thanks for going out of your way to help? say a lot about the “responder” One of these day I’ll get itright

1 Like

Ok here’s a couple tips. On an android phone, well, many of them, you don’t need the :us to reveal the flag, however, typed exactly like this–> :us the :us: shows up but you see a colon and us and a colon
Although if typed in CAPS, like this–> USA with no colon, you will see this —> :us: and may select it, it shows up visibly instantly.

Now both of these actions only take four taps. Neither is superior, however I just like to see my flag pop up immediately, because shortcuts are my bane.

Second
No matter what number the wiki shows prior to you selecting the edit button, the only number that matters is the last one you see once you open the wiki to edit
You may think number 33 is next, but when you open the wiki, it shows 35 is listed last, and you must use the next chronological number, which is 36.
Now some people may wait to get ‘their’ number, and swoop in to get, say, number 44, only to find upon opening the wiki, it’s already on number 46.
Some scratch their head and say, “well that just CANT be right.” So they add ‘their’ number, 44, and the wiki is all fucked up.

Very simple way to remember this.
THE WIKI IS NEVER WRONG
My old computer instructor used to drill that into us. If somethings wrong, it’s operator error. The computer is always right.
So that’s my spiel. Only thing I think I got wrong is I dunno if : is a colon, or a semicolon.

Blessings on all future wikis.

~PVOG

5 Likes

I have a technical question about the wiki edit for all the wiki experts. @DougDawson
Is there a default timeout edit feature in the wiki, let’s say the user presses the edit button and gets distracted or whatever during a live wiki will there edit session time out after a certain amount time?

1 Like

Outta likes.

That is an excellent question! :+1: Thank you, @Mrgreenthumb, for asking!

3 Likes

Now I can’t say for sure @Mrgreenthumb, but I don’t believe there is. Even if there was, it wouldn’t really help unfortunately. When a wiki is live, having a draft open for just a couple minutes and saving can wipe out multiple signups. Let’s say you were the first person to open a draft copy to edit. You stop to roll a joint and 10 people sign up while you are doing that. Now you add your name to spot one on your blank draft and save. This will then wipe out all sign up’s since all spots on your draft are empty but spot 1.

I really wish the would just fix the software so it would only allow 1 draft open at a time. That, to me, would solve all wiki problems. One person opens a draft to edit and the next that tries gets a message like “Wiki in use, try back later”. Now if that feature were there, a timeout would also be a great addition as it would prevent someone from holding the wiki hostage. But without that one draft at a time feature, a time out would be much less effective.

3 Likes

Could you open a wiki in this thread just for practice? Sure other new people would appreciate the ability to attempt here first

2 Likes

One thing that might help all that are new at this until till you get a good understanding of how it works is to take a simple screen shot of the wiki before you attempt to edit it. That way you can restore it or let someone know that can fix it. (Trying to not complicate it with what the red pen :pen: does at the top of the wiki)

2 Likes

I would say no @Redrum92 . This is an info thread and should not get buried with comments for a practice wiki. You can go to my giveaway thread and play with the wiki if you like, I have one live now.

That is not a bad idea. That said, if you read this short thread, there is no reason for mistakes. I never overwrite anyone. Biggest problem with wikis is users just pushing through and ignoring the warnings. That is a user issue. Folks need to learn to slow down. Many times the excitement of getting on a wiki overrides their common sense unfortunately.

2 Likes