Will it be addictive?

So I am almost done with my first plant, I am sure it will be really good weed which I am gonna enjoy.

I am also planning to plant around 10-15 seeds, but before I do it I must understand if I will get hooked on smoking weed.

I quit smoking cigarettes twice in my life, and quit drinking thrice, and every time I suffer with addiction first then my brain does this amazing thing and stops drinking and smoking. Umma type of person who doesn’t have any discipline over actions. Either I am fully in or I am not at all.

I am sure smoking cigarettes and drinking slows me down in my life, in my business, so I feel it’s better not to get along with those things. So I got rid of them all.

What is it about weed when you smoke it everyday?
Do you feel addiction? Can you stay without weed for a month or two with no problem?

Can you still work while you are on weed?
Addiction is the biggest concern of mine. I am just 28, and if this can take over my life I better don’t plant those 15 seeds.

4 Likes

It’s HABIT Forming, not exactly “addictive”. Sure there can be some mild withdrawal effects after prolonged use (like agitation, or trouble sleeping for a week). But nothing in terms of what the lay person would consider withdrawals or addiction in terms of pharmaceuticals or harsh drugs.

As per will you make a habit of it. From your description it sounds like you may. Are you using it medicinally? Are you using it as an escape? Are you just smoking 24 hours a day and not doing anything else? Or do you use it for x reason, and then go do your daily tasks? Idk.

Can you work on weed - absolutely. Sometimes even better when on weed. Depends on the strain, dosage, and user tolerance.

15 Likes

I don’t feel it is addictive in the way tobacco is. Some say smoking herb can make you unmotivated, I think it depends on the strain. Most of what I smoke is motivational. If I didn’t smoke herb I would have to use much more dangerous and physically addictive drugs to keep my pain at a manageable level (opiates). If you are worried about it just start with some evening tokes until you see how it affects you. Same advice I give to my kids who are in college, once your work/ studies are out of the way for the day, why not relax and celebrate, just be safe about it. (One of my kids is an herbalist, one is not). I believe that this plant stimulates creativity and can be used to treat many medical conditions (including mental health). Like anything in life, can be detrimental if out of balance with other components of a life…

15 Likes

Depends on the person and situation.

I smoked daily to deal with anxiety and depression for about 10years.
Found it was getting in the way of my career and quit cold. I barely smoke now, but love my garden - started up again when it was legal in Canada and just give away most to friends and family.

I really think it is situation dependent and what purpose you are using it for.

11 Likes

This is the most well known reason why people smoke. But don’t you think that it lasted 10 years because you chose the easy way by smoking weed instead of battling the anxiety naturally?

Sorry to say that, but I wanna understand the instances of other people to make the correct decision

1 Like

It’s not physically addictive. You can stop on a dime with little effects. Don’t work high. Work then play later.

12 Likes

Yes I do think that this played a large role this. I was also on anti depressants too so kind of a mixed bag. When I got off of them too I found life was much better. Was living again instead of escaping.

I blame the pharmaceuticals more than Cannabis though. I felt nothing when I was on them. Cannabis was an escape of boredom brought on by the anti depressants - when I got off the anti depressants I began to live again.

I quit cannabis later as I found it was impacting my ability to study for my professional examinations.

3 Likes

I think of weed as more like a crutch. Addictive is definitely too strong a word for all but a tiny fraction of users. I think of it as a way lesser category from alcohol or tobacco… they’re more addictive… like heroin. Pot is more like caffeine. I enjoy it but I don’t need it. For me it makes some things more enjoyable .

Q. If I smoke it will I sprout horns and go insane ?

A. Probably not

4 Likes

I like the way you put that. Am I going to have a rough day if I can not smoke that day for some reason, sure. Am I going to still be functional? You betcha. Just cranky, probably.

3 Likes

Excatlty… For me its kinda like taking an Advil, when I feel old and the bones hurt, thats when I enjoy Cannabis the most cause it temporarily resolves most of that feeling. But I can easily stop completely without issue. I’ll just feel old again hahaha. But again its dependent on what your reason for consuming it is to start with.

My wife needs cannabis daily. Not for fun, but to help relieve physical pain. She could stop of course, but always be in intense pain…

5 Likes

My wife and I have smoked a ton since the pandemic started (boredom). Last week we decided to take a T break. Haven’t smoked in a week. Nothin to it.

10 Likes

I have known people in the past that seemed maybe physiologically addicted

2 Likes

Anything can be addictive, if you’re predisposed (you mentioned you are) then be careful.

Growing enough weed to support a daily habit is a lot of work though.

8 Likes

I find myself equally addicted as I was to cigarettes. I never really was “addicted” to cigs, I stopped them cold turkey, the only issues were I get crabby and of course when I’m bored all I can’t think of is a smoke.

With cannabis, well I use it to control my anxiety. If I stop, I worry about symptom relapse. I also obsess over having another smoke, but only if I’m bored or distressed.

It’s basically the same thing only mind, I smoke(d) to quell the anxiety. My brain associates activities with relief, once cigs no longer were giving me relief I didn’t want them.

6 Likes

I believe it was Mel Frank or Ed Rosenthal that said smoking pot isn’t addictive, but growing it sure is. Would I say I’m addicted? No more so than I was on my other pharmaceuticals that I have replaced with it. Granted, I’ve smoked just about every day for the last 28 years. I did quit for about two years while I was going through the adoption process without any issues.

19 Likes

Personally I find coffee and carbs far more addictive.

15 Likes

I feel like this is a question you should ask yourself. It affects everyone differently as you can already see the comments. You also dont know peoples reasons to smoke.

If it changes you or your life in a way you dont like be self aware enough to tell how it is changing your life.

I do feel like if you smoke to cope with life it can erode your coping skills. Making you smoke more.

9 Likes

I just read that the Gang M-13 had a chemical engineer modify there strain and its now more addictive then cocaine

3 Likes

@Who don’t know nearly enough botany or biology to know how far in or out of the realm of possibility this is, but on face value it sounds like believe half of what you see and none of what you hear.

3 Likes

Depends on the person and situation.

It can definitely be addictive, but also depends on your definition of the word and your perspective on life itself.

Is it as harmful as other commonly used substances/drugs? Most of the time definitely not.

4 Likes