Study finds teens who use marijuana at increased risk of psychotic disorders

I’m 78 I guess I’m Safe!

MSN

Teens who use marijuana are more likely to suffer psychotic disorders, study finds
Story by Akshay Syal, M.D.

7 Likes

I think mental health problems are on the rise in general and cannabis can definitely exacerbate that when used incorrectly ( way too much )

Also easy access to edibles and uneducated users = more psychosis hospital trips.

11 Likes

Yeah, knew this for awhile. I’ve seen it happen in real time to a few people actually. Of course, the mental health issues could have just displayed themselves later on in life, but the correlation between the people I know that were once “normal” until they started presenting mental health issues is that they smoked weed regularly.

4 Likes

I’m not worried one bit! And I’m not worried about the teenagers, either. This is the same stuff they’ve been saying for nearly half a century.

From the article:

The new study, like previous research on marijuana and psychosis, does not directly prove that marijuana is causing psychotic disorders.

“The magnitude of the effect here is just hard to believe that it’s not related to cannabis,” Hulvershorn said.

Aka :arrow_up: “feels over reals”

There was no association between cannabis use and psychotic disorders in people ages 20 to 33.

So in this case, how about a follow-up study showing if these “psychotic disorders” persisted for the same group of teens in their early adulthood.

8 Likes

CBGA is neuroprotective and cannabis has been shown to help with all kinds of brain disorders. The list is so substantial now that this article reads like a propoganda piece.

I think people don’t even stop to go to the study done by University of Toronto to look at their methodology.

Correlation does not equal causation and they did not find that either. If anything, many people with “mental issues” are more likely to use cannabis to cope with them than go to a doctor and take pills.

17 Likes

There’s a strong argument to be made that the people who displayed mental problems later on may have been self-medicating with cannabis early in life in order to cope with the effects of their oncoming mental disorders. In those cases, the disorders did not cause the cannabis use. Instead the cannabis use helped curb the early symptoms of the disorders.

This book goes a bit into this theory. It’s one of the best books I’ve read about cannabis.

EDIT: Yeah :arrow_double_up: what @CocoaCoir said! :point_up:

16 Likes

I’m 74, @gramps. I agree, I think we’re safe. :+1:

That said, I do have concerns about my grandkids. Of course, if I were a kid today, I’m sure I wouldn’t listen to advice from my grandpa who’s been smoking pot since dirt was invented.

Now, where’s my bong… bong4

19 Likes

From my own experience when i was 16 i smoked and had a “terrible trip” if you want to call it that. After that i began to have anxiety/panic attacks regularly. I never got them until after i smoked that time. I can smoke now because i have an easier time controlling my anxiety. If it gets bad enough though, i have prescription PRN xanax bars to take as needed. But i rarely need to take them. My sister also experienced the same thing and that scared her away from cannabis for the rest of her life

1 Like

I’m not worried per se

Legalization of cannabis has cut off access to a lot of people who shouldn’t have weed (literal children)

I do encourage people to not give weed to teenagers for this reason

I do encourage people to not give cannabis to adults who seem to have adverse reactions like psychosis

Otherwise, you know, you’re gonna be fine, you’re not schizophrenic presumably

5 Likes

I wish there were more research data on the correlation of marijuana use and mental illness. Not saying weed drives people crazy but if an individual is already predisposed to having mental illness is there a possibility marijuana use brings that mental illness out onto the surface?

A lot of it is genetic too, like some sort of distant family member having schizophrenia and another family member developing it down the lime.

1 Like

I thought thats what they were saying. Is it not?

Who was saying what, I’m confused ?

I didn’t really read over the other comments.
it’s a forum I think I’m allowed to share my opinions and thoughts.

1 Like

The teen brain is still forming and developing, so cannabis and/or alcohol abuse will impact:

The brain finishes developing and maturing in the mid-to-late 20s

Ongoing changes in the brain, along with physical, emotional, and social changes, can make teens more likely to experience mental health problems. The fact that all these changes happen at one time may explain why many mental illnesses—such as schizophrenia, anxiety, depression, bipolar disorder, and eating disorders—emerge during adolescence.

I am not worried about myself (63 labrat) but would be concerned about this while having kids at home …

6 Likes

I’ve seen heavy drugs exacerbate mental illness fast, not too worried about weed personally because I have way more issues when I don’t smoke for periods of time. Mainly stress and anxiety but I think if there’s a underlying issue it definitely could make things worse for some people. Everything affects everyone differently.

1 Like

Intesting, that makes a lot sense. Thanks for sharing

1 Like

The articles I’ve read said the chances of having a psychotic episode after smoking weed is the same for the general population that has one without smoking, (3%).
Now the odds that folks are predisposed and self medicating… I’d bet those odds are significantly higher…

Cheers
G

8 Likes

In my teen years and my 20’s I had an incredibly short fuse. The product of a physically abusive step father and his high and mighty rule with an iron fist mentallity. Whenever anyone physically challenged me I would go off like a fire cracker and I was usually the smaller guy LOL
In those early adult years, with a chip on my shoulder from my childhood, becoming a hash and lsd dealer by the time I was 20 and hanging with the Lotus gang , I was angry all the time and had a hair trigger when it came to fighting… which i was really good at LOL
I was also married at 19 … and due to my lifestyle and the nutjob I married after knocking her up… divorced by 21 LOL Trust me, years later, that was for the better.
In the midst of all the mayhem I met this hot little blonde and eventually met her dad, the biker that brought me into the Cannabis growing fold. I had to leave my life of dealing and running with the gangs to take advantage of the opportunity that looking back, changed my life and my mental health. I learned about meditation and deeply spiritual connections through the many books my weed growing mentors had around. They were like biker hippies and I learned to calm the storm in my mind and “be here now”
My life experiences took a massive toll on my mental health and cannabis has most certainly enabled me to cope and heal from the traumas of my childhood. Allowed me to learn and practice forgiveness, compassion, patience and to listen… not hear.
Do I still suffer mental health issues? I believe I do… I am not comfortable around people I do not know, I have become somewhat of a recluse and it has cost me friendships but if anything, cannabis, growing it and consuming it has given me the ability to live a calm and peaceful life for over 30 years now. If I had not taken the path I chose back then , 35 years ago… I would be in prison or dead.
At most I suffer from depression and harsh ptsd from multiple traumatic incidents in my life. So for those aspects of mental health I truly believe that cannabis is a medicine that improves the quality of my life and my social interactions. I don’t see it unlocking any psychosis any time soon. :wink:

10 Likes

I have a eerily similar background, thanks for sharing. Thankfully I was able to learn to allow myself to be better and I’m so happy I did.

1 Like

Well said. Likewise, thank you for sharing

Out of likes btw :heart:

There’s no conflict here, you definitely can share your thoughts

I thought the article/subject we were discussing laid out the presumption that the mental illness must be underlying

I could be wrong

I definitely don’t think cannabis would create an issue where there isn’t one, is what im assuming

3 Likes