Wood ashes? ..... adding K

Since fall is rapidly coming up and we are in mid /late flower on our outdoor grows I’v read or gathered info from other sources that K can deplete rather quickly in soils due to the blooming stage. Was wanting to throw this out there, has anyone used wood ashes for K increase in soils? I recently took some ashes ,about a cups worth from my biochar experiment and threw it into a gallon of water and ph’d slightly below 7 seemed very alkaline. My question comes about dosing this for my plants? Does it need diluted further? At this point I don’t won’t to go to the point of toxicity any help or knowledge would be appreciated here!

I don’t know but, this is a chart i use. Maybe it will help, someone will give you the answer.

5 Likes

Wow thanks @Viva_Mexico helps a lot what I was amazed at was how much calcium it can still contains hope I’m not ever deficient in CA now! LOL

Yo las uso, como comento en The DogsHouse (“outdoor n soil in the ground”) de palmera, encina, olivo, frutal…
Hasta un 10% del volumen del sustrato no hará mal, y mas si ajustas a no más de 6 el pH en el riego.
Son, efectivamente, muy alkalinas, pero un excelente aporte de K y Si ( mas que el guano de murciélago), y P…

2 Likes

I’ll have to put that in translator ! Thanks for you input @MiG

1 Like

Good to see it also contributes to silicone as well 10% seems a lot though! My next question might be, wonder if it holds in the soil matrix by grabbing onto organic matter or will it wash out easily with watering?

1 Like

My ash water is going into my pots for their morning watering then , I should do a small controlled experiment on my next run with ashes then. Hey @lotus710 have you ever done ashes ? You seem like the type of fella who might give something like this a go?

He says" I use them, like I describe in TheDogsHouse( outdoor n soil in the ground) I use palm, oak, oilve and some fruit tree wood.
You can use up to 10% of the volume of the substraight without any harm. Especially if yo adjust the ph of your watering to ph6. They are very alkaline, but add K and SI ( more than bat guano) and of course P"

2 Likes

thanks @Viva_Mexico already put it in google translator Muy apreciado! ¡Que tengas un gran día!

2 Likes

Excuse, me, @Tinytuttle, but not allways my translator works (mobile screen problem)…
Thanx, Viva México.

PD: Not all wood tree’s ashes has the same NPK; I have got somewhere the differents NPK of diferent tree wood ashes, but Im sure it was in Spanish…
Anyway, most valorated ashes here are from “palmera , castaño, y encina&alcornoque” ( “encina” a mediterránean European & África tree: Quercus “Somethin”).

2 Likes

Cultivas en maceta?
En suelo yo añado las cenizas (“ashes”) con la mezcla inicial de tierra/abonos/etc…
Si tienes pequeñas macetas, puedes espolvorearlas sobre la superficie del substrato, o regarlas diluidas en agua ( baja el pH de la disolución final a 6).

Cultivation in pot? On the ground I add the ashes with the initial mixture of soil / fertilizers / etc … If you have small pots, you can sprinkle them on the surface of the substrate, or water them diluted in water (lower the pH of the final solution to 6).

2 Likes

Es la Quercus ilex?

2 Likes

Cultivation in pot? On the ground I add the ashes with the initial mixture of soil / fertilizers / etc …

I think I’ll make it part (adding ashes) of my repertoire when rejuvenating my soil mixes thanks @MiG

1 Like

Yeah! Maybe “my” Black pigs are under it, eatin its fruits (bellotas)…

I see it talks bout “oak”… For me a oak is the tree that its leaf is in the Canadian flag…Am I wrong? We called in Spanish oak = arce… Isent it right, @Viva_Mexico?.. And from alcornoque comes the corcho that closes champán bottels…

PD: Mira, otra encina española con mas de mil años:

PD edit: Thanks for the corrections: oak = encina , n maple=arce.

2 Likes

Canadian flag is a Maple leaf. Their the ones with little helicopter seeds.

Also, that tree… Woah.

What I wouldn’t give for two little black footed piglets. Lol, I wonder if it would even be legal to import em.

4 Likes

Maple!! Yeah, yare right. I confused with oak
Thanx a lot for teach me, @Worcestershire_Farms ! And the other OG people, please, dont forguet to correct my English errors, please: it’s the only way I will learn!.

Menos mal que ni @lotus710 ni @Scissor-Hanz ni ninguno de la Canadian Legion se ha ofendido, je…

3 Likes

7 Likes

HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAH funny shit :rofl:

2 Likes

Ive used ash much in the past. It does better thrown in the compost. Ive never seen any benefit adding ash. I empty my ashtray in my worm bin that way ash doesnt fly around the room when dumping on the pots.

1 Like

Excuse the Spanish contens, @Tinytuttle, but maybe it help ya:

PD @Scissor-Hanz: Yare great

1 Like