Your First Grow

Brutal is the right word :sweat_smile:

They were bomb seeds cherry bomb, I only understood what I had done after they had pollinated a close by patch of kwazuluā€¦

I abandoned those patches. That means thereā€™s probably a wild kwazulu x cherry bomb population in those parts :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3 Likes

Fucking A I got cali o too and brought it back to life after 20 years in my parents basement!

1 Like

Yes you single-handedly introduced an invasive species. Fuck man, I sting for you that hurts so bad.

1 Like

My first two indoors were failures. The first time ever was a co-op with 2 high school buddies in the mid 90ā€™s. One could drive and bought a 100w ā€œGrow Lightā€ from the grocery store. The other did yard work for an elderly lady that couldnā€™t get around and provided the location (a shed in her back yard) and potting soil, I provided the three seeds. They were planted mid December. One broke the soil and lived about a week before it froze to death. Looking back, Iā€™m grateful it died as quick as it did. I can only imagine one of her adult kids finding that crap, lol.

The second indoor, I thought I could save time by going 12 off 6 on during flower and manually plugging and unplugging the 400w hps. It hermied, was harvested way too early, random pockets full of tiny white seeds. Tasted like buttered popcorn. I sold a bag to my friendā€™s mom, telling her that I had a friend that grew some indoor, she called about 15 minutes after I dropped it off all pissed telling me to let the mofo that grew it know that they didnā€™t know what the hell they were doing and she wants her effin money back. Of course I continued to lie and agree with her and gave her money back. ā€œI think he pulled it too earlyā€

2 Likes

Mid 80s. I had saved some seeds from some decent buds they called P Funk and some of the stinkiest skunk i have yet to this day to compare to. Never knew the acrual strain. Used a few off trail areas in state parks near water. Cleared several small scattered spaces and mixed in some general granulated all purpose fertilizer whatever i could find and planted directly in ground. Seeds were mixed up. Watered and walked away checking every couple weeks(scared to fruggin death while doing it). At 14-15 and no real guidance i didnt know a lot but learned to top overhearing a friends older brother. Most were a fail or got eaten by deer or something but did end up with a couple decent sized ladies. They were seeded by males that grew along side. I had zero clue about when to chop or proper drying/cure. I pulled them a early. I remember looking at the buds and being amazed at the size and beauty compared to what i knew in a sack of dried bud and figured it had to be time. Was a bit immature, way overdried and so friggin harsh. Iā€™ve failed worse since then, lol.

2 Likes

:heart_eyes: :herb:

I had some vegetable & landscape experience as well as watched high school friends grow & helped a little bit, so I wasnā€™t going in blind(for those who did, high-five!). I bought the Ed & Mel book many years earlier-- I think before Iā€™d even smoked weed :thinking: and was fascinated. Around then(mid-1990s) Iā€™d popped some seeds but my dad stopped that ASAP. :confounded:

I couldnā€™t find any seeds amongst my smoker friends & hadnā€™t kept any herm seedsā€¦ one connection charged me 5$ for the only seed he had. And it didnā€™t sprout. :unamused:

At this point I didnā€™t even realize there were seed breeders & retail salesā€¦ was getting desperate in the mission to not spend ton$ at the dispensaryā€¦ and lo and behold I found a dimebag in front of my house on the side of the road with a bit of shake & maybe ten seeds. :raised_hands:

Way better than the usual empty liquor bottle or hooker debris. :wink:

Got 2 females & I grew these in a couple 20 gallon smart pots with ā€œgardenā€ soil from the storeā€¦ ā€œsuper croppedā€ them into 4 or 6 branches & got a great yield of what Iā€™m confident was :grapes: :skunk: Grapefruit Skunk(DNA).

It was fuckin GREAT for a first attempt. I was stoked. Never going back.

And here we are. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

:evergreen_tree:

1 Like

Finding them on the street is a big win. I once found a 20 in the liquor store.

1 Like

This was a huge turning point for me when I figured this out. Sure they came from England but good enough at the time.

2 Likes

i think i posted in another thread about my failed first attempt. 50 bag seeds started with booby traps from the viet cong that failed to protect them. stolen at about 6-10 inches tall. age 15, almost 40 years ago now.

oh, and @Cannabinoid, when we used to do that we would camp out nearby the hidden grows around aug to pull the males when they showed. sometimes we would let them grow a bit and get really high when we smoked them. it would usually get us through until harvest.

2 Likes

My very very first grow was outside at the age of 16 and I was using some Columbian Gold seeds in the mid 1970ā€™sā€¦told my parents that it as a science experiment but my fireman neighbor next door told my parents that it was marijuana so I had to pull them outā€¦

1 Like

Somewhere along the way I picked up this idea that growing weed would be fun and boy was I right. Along with that I also got this notion that it was better to start with autos, so my first grow was 4 plants in a 2x4x5 - Dutch Passion Night Queen auto, royal queen seeds northern lights auto (freebie from NASC), and 2 Barneyā€™s farm LSD autos. I donā€™t remember how I chose these. Might have been recommended on grow weed easy? This was august of 2020 before I knew of overgrow.

I had 2 in 2-3 gal airpots (yellow base) and 2 in 3 gal fabric pots. I used coco and perlite with GH nutes. I started with a crappy blurple LED from Amazon then quickly added a HLG QB. Forget the actual wattage but it was 120ish. Followed GH guidelines for mixtures until I found cocoforcannabis and switched to mixtures I found there. All the plants did well since I was pretty diligent following guidance from online. I donā€™t have a good scale so I never measured the weight, but I got a few quart jars full. I actually still have a bunch of the LSD and itā€™s good!

Unfortunately my first grow was also my second to last, but Iā€™m hoping that will change soon.

2 Likes

Sounds like it worked out well for you. I used blurple when it was hip and grew some nice weed with it.

1 Like

sweet seeds autoflower in a grow tent. over watered at first then ran too dry for a while poor plant made it tho. nice citrusy zippy hybrid, harvested maybe five or ten grams.

had fungus gnats and ran hydro (DWC) only for a while afterwards. always run too high of nutrients but the plants make it pretty fine.

overall the runs have taught me a big thing, the growing doesnt affect the quality of smoke nearly as much as all the harvest/post harvest steps. pulling at the right time, drying slow, nice cure without getting too dry. biggest issue with buying pot is people let that shit get way too dry. old product, small packaging, fucked up dry, etc. growing aint rocket science but getting pot from its last week of flower all the way to a bowl is pretty fuckin close. not surprised the government doing a shit job regulating it.

2 Likes

I love this quote :rofl:
For cannabis being 100% illegal here weā€™ve still managed to develop some killer strains.
I wonder if these uk seedbanks that sell their own creations ever get investigated? :thinking:

1 Like

I remember biting my fingernails for weeks.

All good and perfect packaging and everything.

I know nothing about UK cannabis except they got me my first real seeds :+1:

1 Like

From what I understand they were made in the Philipines and distributed in the UK but please correct me if Iā€™m wrong.

1 Like

20 years ago I pestered a coworker for a clone, because his weed was awesome but he wouldnā€™t sell it. I put it under a shop light I rigged under a small table with a sheet over it. I used pipe cleaners to train it into a spiral. I also got a light (a hps street light, like, from a telephone pole lol) but it kept tripping breakers in this shitty town.

I made one clone, that eventually ended up in my momā€™s attic because she was curious tooā€¦she made me kill it when I got in some troubleā€¦had it for a whole year, and never managed to flower itā€¦

Turns out it was that ā€œva gannyā€ lol but I wasnā€™t in the right place then to maintain that gift. But it sparked a flame.

Edit: also the guy that gave it to me kind of set a good example, one Iā€™m still chasing 20 years later, thanks wherever you are :handshake::pray:

3 Likes

Failure breeds ingenuity :+1:

3 Likes

Function dictates form :+1:

And clean pipes hit better

I find a coating of resin on my pipe enhances the smoking experience.

2 Likes