1st time growing diary

Hello guys, I’m from portugal and me and some mates decided to give a go to cannabis growing eventhough it’s illegal here. Because of it, we opted to do guerrila grow so there’s a chance to lose everything. Anyway, we went with white widow automatic and northern light automatic from the breeder skunk24 bought at royal queen seeds and we also got a quick one. We have a total of 10 seeds, 1 quick one, 5 white widows and 4 northern lights but they are mixed up so I can only differentiate them later, I guess. We have 2 spots, one with 8 seeds and other with only 2 seeds. We are already getting good temperatures and no rain at all since we are going through a drought.
I will post some pics of the spot( I’ll post a better one with all 8 mounts in the future) and the ones that were already starting to sprout today.

Other than the help from some overgrow members especially @Tinytuttle, I also met some nice people at my local cannabis grow shop that gave me some tips. I’m looking forward to get some experience and some sucessful cannabis grows. Next objective will be going with photoperiods ones instead of autos, always outdoors.

18 Likes

I am finding that I need 10x the number of auto-flower plants to match the yield of photoperiod plants. :sweat_smile:

Good luck in your garden! :v:

:evergreen_tree:

5 Likes

Yeah 8 autos for 4 people isnt that much right? Anyway, I will go to the spot in a hour and I will see if anything sprouted there. Edit: I went to the spot but I was in a hurry and I couldn’t take any pics. However, I saw 3 more sprouts so we already have a total of 5/8 seeds sprouted there, hope the last 3 will sprout tomorrow.

6 Likes

Depends really on the strain and your growing knowledge. I’ve grown an auto that gave me 5 oz dry but that was in a tent under 600 hps grown in a bubble bucket. Good luck with the grow :+1:

4 Likes

I see, the knowledge I don’t have much yet and for the strain it says it can go up to 200g outdoors but that must be in perfect conditions, I guess. Just the time to tell me how much will it yield, right

3 Likes

Ignore everything on the strains page. It Is really misleading. The conditions have to be absolutely perfect to get even half the stated yield. With auto flowers anything over 3 oz a plant is amazing growing :+1:
Now if they had been photoperiod plants growing outdoors they would likely yield amazingly in your climate.

6 Likes

Hmmm thanks for info but anyway I was already expecting lower yield from them. I’m not sure if I will run some photoperiods in late may I don’t know if it’s still worth it to give a go at that time or if it’s too late. Here in portugal we don’t have much rain until late november so I guess I can pickup many different strains even with longer flower times.

1 Like

I checked them yesterday and here is how they look like.

I dont think the one above Will survive…
And this one didnt make it above the soil.
So i think the final outcome is like 8/10 because there are still other 2 in another spot but I dont have pics from them yet. Those 2 died probably because they had to be started already outside and also for inexperience. It’s still really hard for me to see how much do I need to water them. Everyday I go into the spot the soil is dry even If I put my finger into it. That happens probably because the sun evaporates the water, so I will just add some mulch to it to try to slow down the evaporation. That may fix the problem. Also do you have any idea of how much water I should give them? Anyway, I will probably just pop 2 more seeds to replace those 2.

4 Likes

try planting the 2 new seeds directly in the soil & water lightly daily or even 2x/day with seedlings. mulch WILL help the evaporation loss(trans-evaporation).

:v:

3 Likes

Thanks for the tip. I will definitly try that way. That’s why I started this project with autos, to get some experience before I go with photoperiod ones. How deep in the soil should I put the seed?

1 Like

I’d say about .5-1cm or 1/4-1/2 inch & no deeper… but others are welcome to argue. :smile:

3 Likes

Starting to put the mulch and the survivor seedlings are growing well.

I will start the new seeds in a few hours. Hope they survive. Also, I wonder if the mulch is enough. What do you think? Should I add more? And when should I start adding nutrients?

2 Likes

Mulch looks good … what did ya have in mind as far as nutrients? Dry/ wet most liquid stuff out of a bottle I wouldn’t be able to help ya with , dry stuff would of been best mix up into the native soil but you can side and top dress still just pull back your mulch and lightly scratch it in reapply mulch and water in.

1 Like

In this run im going with bottled nutrients but you’ll be useful in the next one where I’ll try to go full organic but I still have to read more about going organic and this one is just to get some experience, to see how they grow, the best ways to germinate, drying and curing buds, etc.

1 Like

pretty much depends on what… you call… much? To each, his own much! Am I right or am I left?

regards,

mike28086

1 Like

I think I’m slowly figuring out how much should I water it. Just checked my Weather forecast and I saw some rain coming in the weekend. I will be careful and try to put less water since rain will do its job.

Also the minimum temperature is raising so it will help the plants.

1 Like

I’m going to plant the seeds directly at the Ground, do you recommend using a dome like a water bottle to hold some humidity?

1 Like

I was going to suggest something like that but wasn’t sure about attracting unwanted attention…as they are light reflective too.

Some brown paper or carboad “collars” to protect them from wind…?

They should do OK even without some protection. :wink:

3 Likes

You can check by the pics we have some chicken wire around them. Its a must because there are cats rats and pigeons in the area so we gotta protect them and they also help training the plants. So theres no problem putting some domes. Give me half an hour and the seeds will be in place.

2 Likes

Seeds are in their place, they have been watered and we placed a dome in each. My friend went to our local grow shop where they all grow cannabis and he showed them the photos and they told him to start adding nutrients, so I guess in wednesday we will buy the bottled fertilizer and we will add some at 1/4 the recommended strenght, atleast thats what I have been told to do.
Some pics to see how they are doing.

3 Likes