2017 mystery matchbox landrace

In deciding what I’m going to do next, it’s time I pull out the 2 matchboxes I saved seeds in 6 years ago. These 2 boxes are from when I went exclusively landrace/sativa’s from dispensaries …could be Hawaiian sativa, Maui Wowie, Lambsbread or Cannalope haze or ?… It was definitely a strain I was excited about trying and finding 4 bonus seeds and 11 in another. Of course when you’re not growing and don’t think you’ll be anytime soon, you just put them in something and think “some day” I’ll grow these when I can get back to it…. Anyway, I’m going to try 2 of the 4 first. I’ll probably treat GA3 since it’s 6 years old. Of course these seeds weren’t saved without a pressure test when first found, so I only know their viability that way.

26 Likes

I truly enjoy exploring life’s little surprises. I wish you a great grow, better harvest, and many medicinal moments in your pursuits b

2 Likes

Those are the best kind really. Some of the best plants have been found w just a few “bag seed” than a bunch.Thanks, I appreciate the good wishes :wink:

3 Likes

Grow them all!

4 Likes

I love these kind of grows; I always think about the stories of game changing strains like Chem that were purportedly “found” in bagseed, and I truly hope you find something of like or better quality in yours!
To that end: I bless this grow with the headiest of Heady Bear vibes!

3 Likes

Very cool. Growing bag seed is usually interesting. Big things have small beginnings, and you may be onto something amazing. Even if it doesn’t become anything remarkable, it’s still that many more cannabis plants in the world, always a good thing.

4 Likes

Eventually @Foreigner BOTH boxes will be gone through, but I learned my lesson w the CH ( Chocolate Haze), starting too many and having 5 phenos, luckily I had Xmas male going so all were preserved in rouge fashion, but the reality of keeping all wasn’t feasible at the end. So best to do a few at a time than overwhelm decisions and waste seed.

@HeadyBearAdventures Absolutely! Really wanted Hawaiian landrace and a couple of dispensaries got some in, you don’t expect to find seed as you go through it, but it’s so exciting to get a few. Usually when it’s just less than 5, seems to be special versus loaded. It almost feels like winning the lottery of genetics :grin:

@Herrsquidward Yes there is the possibility and could go either way. Male donor to my keeper CH purple Thai pheno or female mother. It could become another project that I don’t expect or not that good. We shall see where it all leads to. It will be interesting to see if anyone is able to identify what it is when there’s a discernible plant to show.

3 Likes

Got 2 of 4

5 Likes

I almost thought I wouldn’t get any, but here we are and they’re planted already. I’m calling them white matchbox A and B. And now the wait begins…the other 2 most likely duds.

3 Likes

If 2 of them cracked I would have faith more will crack :+1:

3 Likes

You’re right, I haven’t tossed them. I let seeds sit in the paper towel bed until they either crack or the mold will appear, then I know it’s been too long.

2 Likes

Just my psychic powers at work but I’d give them as much time as you care to do so :+1:

3 Likes

@Foreigner HA! You just proved those powers too :+1:

5 Likes

@Foreigner your powers at work

If anyone needs seed germinating powers ask the Foreigner to send his powers to your seeds :flushed:

9 Likes

Woohoo go Foreigner go psychic powers!

Sometimes we are just too impatient for our own good. Ask me how I know :joy:

5 Likes

Well I got 4-4 but one’s tap root looked weak and sickly so didn’t make it

They’re all up and open, so we’ll start the clock here

Day 1

3 Likes

Week 1

The only thing of note is that B got dug up and planted stem deeper. It may need another. Of course this doesn’t mean it’s a male. The self version of TC I had to do, not once or twice but 3 times before that elongation stopped. Looks like C may need to be next as well. I will keep burying what elongates and until a sturdy base forms.

6 Likes

Free the genetics!!

1 Like

Week 2

Nothing much to say, except both B and C did need the deeper planting, other than that, doing nicely. The shorter one is showing the fattest blade so far. Guess we’ll know more in 2 more weeks

5 Likes

Week 3

I almost feel like I have that Goldilocks fable :crazy_face:

I believe A the shortest is female…

I believe B and C are males. The B is a little fussy wanting higher N but the other doesn’t show it. C shows a thicker meristem than B, although B shows shorter node spacing. It will be interesting (if both sex actually male) which does better in flowering traits overall. They need bigger containers soon so that’s coming when I can rotate what’s vegging now

5 Likes