2017 mystery matchbox landrace

Well I got 4-4 but one’s tap root looked weak and sickly so didn’t make it

They’re all up and open, so we’ll start the clock here

Day 1

3 Likes

Week 1

The only thing of note is that B got dug up and planted stem deeper. It may need another. Of course this doesn’t mean it’s a male. The self version of TC I had to do, not once or twice but 3 times before that elongation stopped. Looks like C may need to be next as well. I will keep burying what elongates and until a sturdy base forms.

6 Likes

Free the genetics!!

1 Like

Week 2

Nothing much to say, except both B and C did need the deeper planting, other than that, doing nicely. The shorter one is showing the fattest blade so far. Guess we’ll know more in 2 more weeks

5 Likes

Week 3

I almost feel like I have that Goldilocks fable :crazy_face:

I believe A the shortest is female…

I believe B and C are males. The B is a little fussy wanting higher N but the other doesn’t show it. C shows a thicker meristem than B, although B shows shorter node spacing. It will be interesting (if both sex actually male) which does better in flowering traits overall. They need bigger containers soon so that’s coming when I can rotate what’s vegging now

5 Likes

Week 4

Well out of cups and into bags. I now think A and C are both girls, because growth is similar than B and shorter. I need to top next and that’s fine, cause these 3 need to wait for 2 Corn B, TC A and NL to veg a bit more to be moved into flowering tent before there’s space for their veg

5 Likes

Week 5

Left to right

A is a confirmed female

B and C may be too, but they haven’t shown yet

These plants did transform to classic sativa. I’ll guess I’ll know soon what they are

3 Likes

Not bad after living for 6 years in a matchbox Arriba|nullxnull, I guess your curiosity will be rewarded, looking great so far … beer3|nullxnull

1 Like

Thanks, I guess there’s something to be said about seeds stored in a matchbox…hmmm🤔 actually the seeds were put on top of matches, so perhaps that helped w storage factors.

1 Like

Week 6

So 2 female and 1 male

They’ve been topped again, and now I’m gonna let them grow out and get bigger for the next 2-3 weeks, take cuts and I think they’ll be ready for flip in Feb

Massive sun leaves on these

Male moved to the bathroom to get natural light. After the sun is down, I turn on the bathroom light to prevent flipping. I want it to grow awhile and see if the structure is sturdy or flimsy to collect or cull. We’ll see

3 Likes

Just about 8 weeks now. I’ve taken 2 cuts each now that my cloner is just about to start rooting again, so I just wait. C is definitely getting the cloth 1 gall pot once the cut roots. A may too. C screams more potential than A to me, although there’s more lateral branches on A than C.

And the male, is the largest plant I’ve seen so far. Makes every one I’ve had small. It’s elongation isn’t bad considering it’s mostly sativa

C and A (left to right)

Male B

2 Likes

Week 9

So I think I’m convinced I have something else in play and I’m going to go on a limb to say I think it’s Lambsbread. I started looking at pics of LB plants and I found a plant w a similar fan showing, which I circled what I saw. The male is massive and wide, however not unruly as sativa males tend to get. The stalk is very tough and sturdy. The 2 will be going into the bigger containers. The 4 cuts are near rooting, so once I know they’ve rooted, I’ll flip to start their flowering. Lambsbread was on that exotic bucket list and I think those were the 4 seeds I saved, cause it isn’t haze and I was specific in wanting Hawaiian, Jamaican or Haze in my searching, and if it isn’t Hawaiian it’s starting narrow. The only other is Cannelope Haze I got right around the time I found the 4 seeds…

All 3

A is the one circled

Found the pic through google but it’s OG. Top left plant is my suspected match

C

Now the male, which is a stunning specimen of exotic sativa

5 Likes

Partially defoliated mostly in the center and 1 week into flip now

I could agree w A being more Indica, but C is definitely a sativa dominant or I’m a monkey uncle :face_with_monocle:

A

C

Giant B male

3 Likes

Week 2

You can see the A (right) did a pole vault up, but still managed to keep the nodes tight, and the C ironically didn’t do much. I decided that A needed to be heavily defoliated along the stalks, except for the upper tops and one large fan. Well let’s see how it all goes from here :eyes:

Oh and the wide male, this plant just keep getting bigger in its sunny window spot :open_mouth:

Now that’s a trunk and it can’t be hull smashed anymore. Like bamboo. Probably the largest male I’ve grown so far. Still keeping it at bay by turning the bathroom light on after dark. I like that I can keep males from flipping by a standard light kept on.

1 Like

Week 4

Decided to skip. It’s the slow crawl of sativa flowering, but now it’s starting to get coated, have fruity exotic smells. Slight curl so temperamental to strong nutes, other than that, doing it’s own thing. I have no idea how long but I’ll estimate 12-14 weeks

C

A

2 Likes

Week 6

So I agree, I don’t have Lambsbread here, but I think these are most likely inbred Maui Wowie…agree or disagree ?

Stock pic

Seems quite similar to this one…

C

A

2 Likes

Week 7

Definitely feel confident it’s Maui now. It’s ironic that I labeled it WM for ‘white matchbox’ but reversed is MW… I’m in the process of flushing w sugars as it’s in the finishing stretch now. A has a eucalyptus/pine mint and C is fruit odors. I will be pollinating 2 Corns w the massive male, which I’ll put half of the seed up for a fundraiser auction in the summer and crossing the A later w Xmas to amplify the mint and shorten its stretching. I expect to harvest next week.

MW A

MW C

MW male

This is only getting started… strings of sacks along the entire branch. I can already tell the pollen will be heavy. Took almost 12 weeks to naturally trigger, so if the school of thought about later occurring males to flower are best, this one would be the example to go by :face_with_monocle:

3 Likes

Went to 59 days total flowering. I flushed hard with sugars so yellowed fast and clawed a bit. Maybe pushed nutes, but test samples burned clean. Anyway BOTH have large dense top buds. Slightly leafy, however trim up nicely to be all bud. A is all pinene dominant and hard to pick up up anything else if there, so I’ll say it’s a rare alpha. C is fruity smells. Smaller nugs are dry, so C has lavender and pepper flavors. So it’s more on the linalool and caryophyllene side. Once dry I’ll post weight and more on affects from each. Definitely not weak sauce in the least. I was done after 1 small roll of each before writing this up :face_with_monocle:

MW A

I will be doing a Xmas dust on a clone down the road so this will be available to whoever is interested

MW C

I may replace CH E which goes though fits of flower and veg being quite similar in profile to this pheno.

As I showed there is another box w more seeds than the one I just did. I’m breaking from this thread for the time being until my backlog clears out but I am going to do the other box so it will continue. Finally the male is in full bloom, heavy tops. Just a flick is like a yellow snowstorm. Anyway, 2 Corns are completely dusted now and will be dusted as newer clusters appear until it’s past the window. So there will be a large lot of beans available to donate for a summer charity auction :wink:

1 Like

He’s just staring out the window …

1 Like

Gotta say he has grown like he was actually outdoors. It’s amazing how big in a small grow bag. It’s a sun god plant for sure. Definitely saw the potential early. Hope you grab some in the summer :wink:

2 Likes