2023 "Field of Dreams"

Garden is well today. Top dressed some of the Terp Tea Bloom and some worm castings in IBG/Panalawi. Quite a bit of castings for Panalawi. May as well use up the bag this season and she’s hungry.

Took some flash cola pics. Panalawi:

IBG:

907:

The fam, I love dawn. Favorite time of day :sun_with_face:

View from the smoking chair :chair:

Cheers everyone hope you all have a nice weekend in the works

19 Likes

Great looking blooms and that view from the smoking chair kicks ass. :sunglasses: :metal:

2 Likes

Whats your day length right now using a day night calendar? Blooms are so far ahead of mine.

I am loving the smoking chair. The view gets nicer as the yard fills in with grass and the trees grow. It’s been a lot of work, even if it doesn’t look like much. From piles of construction trash to this. Feels good to see things flourishing.

Looking forward to seeing what the finished buds are like on these ladies. Soon.

It’s kinda funny the change in perspective as the season goes on. I could see changes every day a few months ago, today I don’t notice much day-to-day. I look at the 907 like it’s a runt but there’s probably more weight on her than the Dragon’s Hashplant last season :rofl:

@Ottafish I forgot to reply to you about the Thai. That’s an interesting theory regarding the culture specifically scent/flavors. I’m half way through that FCP podcast about the use and propagation of early cannabis. Interesting stuff I had never heard. Equatorial cultivation for flowers and mountains targeting hash production. Thanks for the tip, it’s a good one! I’ll finish it up on Monday :sunglasses:

6 Likes

Love the view from the chair!
…That really makes it… :+1:

Cheers
G

3 Likes

Yeah man it’s a good one. Probably the best one yet! It lasted for two and a half commute trips for me and kept me fully engaged! These podcast are really nice for drives. I don’t dread them anymore. I kind of enjoy the “me” time.
The landrace strains really interest me. It would definitely be fun to play around with them and find some new flavors. I’ve spent a little time trying to find the real deal Durban Poison which smelled like anise. At least the plants my dad had did. The stuff now days smells like lemon… The anise scent would be an interesting terpene profile to bring to a lot of other cultivars. Seems to be pretty rare anymore.
I sure wish I could bring back some of the flavors from the past. I had some really interesting plants from bay seed 20 years ago. They were super dank and very different from anything today.

3 Likes

:+1: she’s gonna eat

how far apart you think the 907 and IBG (a bit further along) will finish? :thinking:

do you have room for all the flower if they’re close?

have a nice wknd!

yeah. this thread is aptly named.

2 Likes

Big Sky Country. :sun_with_face:

6 Likes

Here’s the podcast @Ottafish and I are chatting about for reference: https://www.youtube.com/live/Ykz4QwhbV8U?si=90uM-T-8rv24RfLi

I think AK Bean Brains has a SSSC Durban, I may actually have some as well. Haven’t smoked Durban so don’t know much about the anise scent but it’s really polarizing based on what I read or hear. I’m enjoying diving down the rabbit hole at least into more “heirloom” stuff. I think finding good stuff in landrace may take more plants than I can manage attentively. But definitely dreaming of having more time to pretend to be a farmer. :cowboy_hat_face:

@noknees The 907 is leading the IBG but they’ll probably be within two weeks of each other. I am seeing the IBG move faster but 907 started earlier. I think they’ll be well suited to staggered harvests anyway due to the density of the tops and the somewhat shaded colas that’ll probably take an extra week or two. The cabinet fits quite a few trays, and things shrink for consolidation into fewer trays. If I run out of room I’ll fresh freeze.

Big sky indeed. I wish I could spend all my mornings in that chair like I did today :sunglasses:

4 Likes

i think those are an f5 of sssc durban?

3 Likes

Hey, nice to see you pop in here! I do have SSSC F5 Durban! :sunglasses::cowboy_hat_face::slightly_smiling_face:

If you want some @Ottafish LMK I’ve got flips, stamps and seeds :+1::+1:

2 Likes

I would love some if it’s the Anise version! I definitely can send some stuff back your way!

I think I tend to miss stuff when I’m using my phone to browse and post because I can’t see all the other posts while I’m typing like I can at the computer. I didn’t even see you ask this when I was on my phone this morning.

Anyway, today is 12:40 and we lose a few minutes a day. I think it’s weirdly fast as well, comparing to other grows on this site. Last season I harvested quite a bit in September too, several Mendocino and Humboldt cultivars [40N].

Both of these fast-flowering genetics were bred at higher lattitudes - IBG somewhere in the midwest, perhaps Indiana ( :rofl:) [40N] and the 907 is a pair of Alaskan heirlooms [60N]. I think it’s generally accepted that if you take a cultivar adapted to a higher lattitude to a lower one, like me at 34N, it not only initiates flower sooner but flowers quicker. Cool by me :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Yeah up here my plants typically have always finished around the end of October which is too late. The weather gets shitty by then. But last year the Tropical Fuel finished at the end of September which was way better. This year two of the Nana Glue plants will finish right around then. One will probably go a week longer. Most of my plants are about a week into flower. Besides Molokai Frost. That one hasn’t even started. The shoots started alternating awhile ago but it hasn’t started throwing pistils yet. I’m not sure that one will even finish. Im just hoping it will be able to mature enough to get some seeds.

2 Likes

Your daylight is only 15 mins less than mine as of today. I just remembered I know where you are… :rofl:

3 Likes

Im filling up the reservoir for the tent at the moment. I let it dry out so now I have to re calibrate the blu mats. Then it’s auto pilot for the watering!

2 Likes

I think this is the difference…

Suppose outdoors, our plants flower at 10 hours of darkness (14 hours of light), in conjunction with the amount of light shrinking everyday (indicating fall rather than spring). That would put my flower start late July and yours mid-late August. I’m sure that threshold varies with the cultivar, but this is the jist of it. Depending on where that threshold is, the difference could be as much as 8 weeks or so.

My sativa on the other hand, likely came from a place closer to the 12 hour line, so it is starting closer to its normal time, expecting to have until November to finish up.

I’ll just note I really wasn’t sure either until I plotted hours and made this drawing. But it makes a lot of sense to me all of a sudden.

7 Likes

Yeah that’s consistent with most cultivars. I’m not sure why some flower earlier. It probably depends on where they originate.

3 Likes

Well, northern cultivars would have to flower closer to solstice to finish before it freezes, so they would initiate flowering at a longer daylight interval. Which would mean they flower earlier than the “average” cultivar as you move south. Bigger “threshold” like say 15 hours - that would start flowering just after solstice for me and perhaps late July for you guys.

Southern cultivars are likely difficult to grow for several reasons, including but not limited to the fact that their “threshold” would be closer to 12 hours, which wouldn’t occur until late September in Oregon.

The extra sun during the summer in “veg” also explains how the hell you guys get such massive plants. You’ve extra sun time, albeit a little less intensity, everyday. I just figured you guys are f’in NAILING your grows, which is probably also true.

I’m just an idiot drawing lines on charts in MS Paint and correlating my observations, particularly with the Alaskan 907, to what I see in our gardens. The above is merely postulation.

2 Likes

Sounds pretty much correct to me!

1 Like