2023, new year new start....... sourdough start šŸ˜‰

Yup I think I do 450 - 40min in non-stick loaf pans, and 45min for dutch oven. It doesnā€™t hurt to do a little extra or less depending on what crustiness you want.

3 Likes

Similarly, Iā€™m 475 in a Dutch oven.
25-30 lid on, 15-20 lid off.

Truth! I did a heavy crust on my sandwich loaf up above, and it shreds my gums :crazy_face::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::rofl:
Still worth it, itā€™s so damn good

3 Likes

Iā€™m excited to see how this develops. (Missed a great pun opportunity there I sense)

1 Like

any pot with a lid will work like a dutch oven, rustic bread with good rise and nice crust.

put the pot (lid on) in the oven as it comes up to temp

use parchment paper / silicon mat so your dough donā€™t stick / burn

edit -

I donā€™t find the need to bake it with the lid off - I used to go up to 50 minutes in my current ovenā€¦

3 Likes

Sure did :rofl:

1 Like

Thank you for all the help and tips!
A bit better this time, oh well, onward to try again.
It is fun, this sour dough thing.

2 Likes

Sourdough pepperoni personal :pizza: :pizza: :pizza: :pizza: :pizza: :pizza: :pizza: :pizza: :pizza: :pizza:

just made another batch of doughā€¦

11 Likes

you are on fire

3 Likes

:fire: :name_badge: thanks man,ā€¦ Iā€™m loving sourdough right now!

3 Likes

Just baked. Smells heavenly!
bread012823sm-noex

16 Likes

Got some that I just fed. I may try bagels first, after some pancakes of course :v:Seems itā€™s coming together pretty nice

I hate to toss it out so this is just fed and going in the fridge

Happy doughing

6 Likes

does anybody make discard tortillas?

kind of baffling that I havenā€™t myself, tbhā€¦ :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

seems like something you could just sort of always have around and use (or freeze) :thinking:

4 Likes

I crave real bagels, but cannot get them easily. So I made someā€¦came out perfect.

7 Likes

I made some of my best ever, pancakes with some of the saved discard starter as I was making my starter in this project. I hate to waste!
Uā€™mm bagels!!
In an earlier life, I once, was taken along to a job in Harrison New Jersey, to do some stainless steel, fabrication, welding, to alter their existing bagel line. Bread making in industry, is a very odd animalā€¦well back in the late 80ā€™s anyway.

4 Likes

I can smell the steamy goodness in that old place you were at, sitting here right now. I used work in delis and bagel places as a kid, you never forget the smells, very nostalgic for me. That, and cigar smoke, walk into most any business in the 70ā€™s or 80ā€™s and you got a whiff of some tobakky smoke :wink:

5 Likes

I made a ball of dough around 11 Iā€™m thinking I might bake it around 8 tonight. My start is super active. And we also made some pizza dough :yum:

5 Likes

Tomorrow I will feed my starter and make levain for 2 loaves. I have scaled my recipe so it makes exactly 2 - 850g (pre-bake) loaves. This requires 175 grams of levain: 35 starter, 70 water, 35 bread flour, 35 whole wheat flour (GRAMS). This levain will fully rise and be ready to mix dough in around 5-6 hours. My bakerā€™s percentage formula (that I have settled on by baking lots and lots of bread) is :
100-72.5-20-2.2 (% flour - water - levain - salt). This gives me a hydration of almost exactly 75%, which IMO gives plenty of open crumb without being too difficult to handle.
I use a scale for everything, and recommend it - makes for consistent results. So my recipe is:
786g bread flour, 88g whole wheat flour, 634g water (I use RO), 175g levain, and 20g fine sea salt.

7 Likes

Hey CWF, for me as novice to sour dough building, I really appreciate your posting up your numbers, and now I know the difference of levain and starter. Really opens the door, for using starter, fast like.
WOW, learning before wake and bake!! Love this thread!!

3 Likes

Hereā€™s my most current loaf just out of the ovenā€¦

11 Likes

Great boulĆØ shape!

3 Likes