2023, new year new start....... sourdough start 😉

Thanks it came out very nice. It was very good as well. I’m stuffed. Came out with a very good crust too.

3 Likes

I’ve gotta start back at the top to read through this thread but just had to say AWESOME topic! I’ve always loved sourdough and now I get to learn how to?!!! Thanks @Pawsfodocaws !!

3 Likes

Two sd’s :+1:

9 Likes

Mmm, those look tasty!

Tell me about your name, would ya? Because everytime I read it, I can’t help but think about The Chinese Restaurant episode of Seinfeld, and lol. Quite literally. Any relation?

1 Like

Thanks a lot, I’m a newish baker so looks good so far👍

You got it right about the name. The meme is buried somewhere up in the thread.

? Constanza ?

Yes, that’s what I said, Cartwright. I tell her you no here, she yell curse word and hang up.

3 Likes

Thanks a lot @Pawsfodocaws Mrs Helios wants to make sour dough bread again.
Walks out grumbling rissafrassinsourdoughbatchinbreadbakers.
what? I’m blaming all of you. :rofl:

Honestly I’m astounded by all the great pictures. Have a great baking day. :sunglasses:

4 Likes

No problem friend!

2 Likes

That’s awesome hehe! I’m a weird old Seinfeld fanatic. Like, I own every episode in boxed sets, but will still watch it whenever it’s on TV.
That’s some early work from James Hong. He’s a great actor, but so underrated.

“He did! He yelled Cartwrght”
“Who’s Cartwright?”

2 Likes

Im Cartwright🙃

2 Likes

Did a little better this time…man I’m eating good!!!

8 Likes

Here’s the recipe I’m using.

150g of starter.
20g olive oil
10g salt
250g water
500g bread flour

Let proof for 3 to 5 hours. Then fold and let proof for 2 hours.

Bake 20 min in Dutch oven with lid on.

Continue baking in Dutch oven for 40 min no lid.

Option egg wash. Mix egg and teaspoon of milk. Then coat dough before baking.

Add water to a heat safe pan or silicone cup. And steam for the latter 40 min with lid off. ( helps crust tremendously. ) egg wash( helps color of crust ) Edit 400°

Edit again* this is all done at roughly 60° room temp.

5 Likes

Been practicing this. It’s turning out very well. Really helps. Also mixing when start is at the top or so of its rise is helping immensely. I love this sourdough bread. I recently got my starter from pre covid. And have it going alongside my 2023 start. Some people name them and what not as it’s I guess a living organism or something. Mine has since been named stygian penal colony. Specifically from the hades universe. :rofl: :fire:Jan 1st 2023
Edit that’s this years.
Idk or remember when and will dig to find. The start of the covid start. It’s named north shore 19 Sour dough. :rofl: June 15th 2020.

5 Likes

Forgot the crumb shot. Enjoying some right now with some Kerry gold butter and chicken salad.

12 Likes

:+1:

7 Likes

9 Likes

Nice! Getting some color on it now!

1 Like

O yes, the loafs are coming out a whole lot better. Loving it. Just had some nice buttered toast. It was dank.

2 Likes

This thread delivers. I’m going to try my hand at it

I’m in Mexico at the moment and plan on smuggling back some yogurt cultures family have had and passed around for more than 16 years now. We had some we brought back home a few years ago but neglected after about a year.

3 Likes

Damn @CWF, @Cartwright & @Pawsfodocaws!
Looks like it came from a local bakery.
Exceptional work! :slightly_smiling_face::+1:

4 Likes

Thanks bud!

3 Likes