2x2 20 Gallon Living Soil

Will know for sure soon but to me it looks like two small pistils coming out of that growth. This plant has some hairy legs though!

Glamor shots of the pretty lizard :slight_smile: Could stand to put some meat on those bones perhaps - hopefully there’s something good to eat in here.

9 Likes

Just defoliating and bending branches waiting on the scrog net to arrive. Still no definitive preflowers on any of the plants but I’d like to get the net in place before the stems thicken up any more, otherwise I’ll have to place it higher than I’d prefer.

6 Likes

Good news and bad news.

Bad first: looks like we’ve got a boy :frowning: I’ll give it a bit more time to be sure.

Good news: the tent is smelling very “weedy” already. Nothing specific, just fragrant :+1:t4:

It’s the plant in the lower right showing me pollen sacs.

9 Likes

Spawned to bulk today. Went with smaller tubs and excessive on the grain:bulk substrate ratio to increase my success chances. I used to use a direct-to-tote version of the bucket tek and had a lot of great runs so I kept to what I know, though this time I just went straight bucket tek. 1 grain bag split between the two totes, coir verm and gypsum only.

Scrog net came and went in but of course the company sent me something besides what was in the product picture. They showed a net with much tighter spacing and more cells… we will see what kind of service they offer I guess…

6 Likes

Gave the soil a treat today via 1/2 gal water in small doses:

-.5ml AgSil concentrate
-1Tbsp ocean harvest liquid organic
-.5ml CBSE
-1 tsp multi-mino
-1/4 tsp coconut powder

Everybody seems happy. I’ve been finding Kermit’s poop (the name my partner has given our new lizard guest) on the leaves so when I’ve got some time I’m going to give it a peek under the scope to see what kind of microbes go through the gut or migrate from the leaf onto the poop. Waiting on sexing so I can cull and fill the canopy.

7 Likes

I need a grow lizard so bad… that plant looks like a boy to me.

1 Like

Yeah… I’m holding out hope but it looks like balls.

1 Like

Oh sad, fingers crossed it’s a freaky lady still doing some funky puberty stuff!

20 gal hey? Is that right up against the poles?
(Thinking of running a massive plant like u but in coco)

1 Like

Same! They’re all taking their sweet time showing sex too lol.

It’s a 20 gallon grassroots pot- not touching the poles/sides. I think I could fit a 30 gallon pot in here but that would be truly wall to wall. There’s also those honor the plant beds made for the 2x2 which take better advantage of the square shape but they’re more $$. As far as volume, I don’t think they’re much better than a 30 gallon pot either. 30 gallons of coco in a 2x2 and I’m pretty sure you’re gonna have branches flexing their muscles right through the tent :laughing:

1 Like

True hey,
Would come home one day and the grow tents ripped in half with the lights hanging off a branch like a Christmas decoration

2 Likes

Still holding, but to scratch my “let’s do stuff” itch I gave 8ml of ferment in 400ml of compost extract. The ferments were LABS and some chop and drop from the last round, with no sugars ever added. Figure some enzymes and broken down plant material mixed with the microbes in the compost should be a nice boost to the soil.

5 Likes

Monotubs are colonizing nicely! Should be about 5 more days to fully colonized. I’ve got another bag of colonized grain sitting in the fridge ready to spawn as well… looks like it’s gonna be a white Christmas this year :+1:t4:

8 Likes

Is it nuts?, Rove beetle police, Happy plant

4 Likes

So I’ve had enzymes on my mind a lot lately. Every time I’m out biking or find some time to daydream I’m finding myself thinking about the relationship of enzymes to the maturity of a soil system. Since these molecules can have relatively long lifespans, I eventually started wondering if and how stabilization occurs, can the lifespans be lengthened and what’s the fate of soil enzymes.

After enough idle thought, I started searching the papers and as it turns out, enzyme levels in the soil are difficult to measure directly, in part due to their association with things like clay, their high affinity for instrument columns used to detect and separate the molecules, and due to their being glycosylated. I did stumble across this paper though:

This is exactly the sort of thing I wanted to see. Not only is it possible, but due to the high binding capacity of char, the enzymes seem drawn to the char and can become more efficient when stabilized. I’m imagining taking a ferment and soaking some biochar dust in it for a while to let it collect a charge of enzymes then using that as the grit for the worms (as a top dress they’ll take it down into the soil for me over time).

5 Likes

Can’t get to the monotubs until early next week, but they’re fully colonized over the top surface. Will set to fruit when I’m back.

Plants are cruising.

3 Likes

Welp, had to leave for the weekend and came back to a bit of a jungle. Still not clear signs of sex so I may just take some cuttings and flip to flower. Things are getting real cozy in here. On the bright side, they seem real happy.

The monotubs are both getting flipped to fruiting tomorrow. I peeked in the side and they both 100% colonized with a small bit of knotting and good amount of condensation across the surface as well. I’m using this first run to make a note where the tubs fill to as well when using this tek so I can modify the tub between runs. I’m thinking some holes closer to the substrate surface should improve the convection, pulling the warmer moist air up, sucking in drier air from near the substrate and exiting in the larger, higher holes.

5 Likes

Looking lush in there.

Love when they start to pin, it’s so uhh… magical :smiley: What did you mean by direct-to-tote ?

1 Like

Back when I was running like… ten tubs I would boil the water, put the coir in the tub and just dump the water direct to the tub I would eventually fruit in. Then hours later I’d dump in the grain spawn, mix everything together and clamp it shut. Those were the big sterlite tubs with the gasket and clasps. Once colonized you could just flip the lid and it would fruit. Those tubs are still my favorite… fool proof and would produce awesome flushes especially with a good tissue culture from a highly clustered fruit. You could get real geeky with them and wrap them up and try to keep them hot for longer but I had my sterile culture on lockdown and my grain was super clean. Once I realized I could just cook the coir a little while and still get huge returns it was the laziest method wins lol

2 Likes

Been a while since I’ve smelled cubensis mycelium. Such a unique and pleasant aroma.

Gave the plants a trim to try and get some airflow. Juiced a bowl worth of leaves and drank it. Not the best taste but I like a having various stuff in my diet :+1:t4: The pulp went back into the pot of course. Hands were sticky just touching the leaves and the tent smells very weedy even though these damn plants won’t show me what they are. :man_shrugging:

4 Likes

Enjoy a game of find Kermit :lizard:

7 Likes