36 Watts or Bust!

Hey Overgrow,

I finally managed to get some decent genetics, and have decided to give it another go. I decided on some feminized Blue Mystic from Nirvana seeds if I remember correctly.

I tried the paper towel germination this go round, so I first scraped one of the littlest seeds with an emery board, then stuck it in a ziploc bag with a folded dampened paper towel.

I used a neodymium magnet to keep the ziploc bag stuck to the back of the fridge where it was sorta warm in the house. Man, after only one day I saw the taproot emerge.

I then stuck the seed in the pot Iā€™ve created and waited about 3 days for it to finally break ground.

I moved to a half of a half gallon milk carton this time. I cut a bunch of holes in the bottom and put a piece of landscape fabric, then about 1/2 inch of sand at the bottom. I filled the rest with Fox Farms Ocean Forest.

I donā€™t know why I canā€™t just be happy with something off the shelf or a solo cup. I think because I have such a squat grow space and itā€™s square; I canā€™t really abide by anything at the store or round!

Iā€™m watering with filtered tap water, Iā€™m using three teaspoons of Fox Farms Grow Big, and one teaspoon of superthrive. Iā€™ve also dropped the ph a little since we have pretty hard water here. Iā€™m using a few drops of phosphoric acid to bring the ph down to 6.2~6.5 range.

It seems like I can go almost a week from waterlogged to light and dry.

I stuck the seed in the pot on 11/25

Here it is this morning:
( You can see itā€™s a little droopy, and I can tell when the leaves get crispy )

Itā€™s fairly bushy! Iā€™d like to LST this thing, and eventually top it, but itā€™s so compact right now, as far as I can tell Iā€™ve only got one node, maybe two.

Iā€™m guessing Iā€™m going to have to veg for at least a month before I can even think of topping this thing.

Anyways, Iā€™ll keep you posted with maybe a photo more frequently than every week!

8 Likes

Have you looked into nursery bags? They sell plastic ones that have holes pre punched in them and they also have biodegradable nonwoven cellulose ones like fabric pots. Very easy to pot up. It doesnā€™t stop any roots in the slightest and is just passive to roots poking at them. You donā€™t want a fabric mat directly beneath the bags. Roots will weave in the mat. You donā€™t even remove the bags. Just add to another bigger bag. You can finish in a final pot type of your choice that wonā€™t let roots through it. Nice and stress free transplant this way. Just donā€™t break up the rootball. It wonā€™t have one in these bags. Not the kind you need to fuss with. Roots grow freely through them completely unimpeded. The plastic ones are not the same rules. Theyā€™re more of a final pot type, but crazy cheap to buy and double sided too. Black on the inside and white on the outside or vice versa if desired.

Theyā€™re $10 for 400 bags on Amazon and the plastic ones are about 100 for $15.

Iā€™m excited to watch your grow regardless. This is exactly why I started growing. Itā€™s not as expensive as it seems

1 Like

Hey Oni,

That would probably make too much sense lol! Thatā€™s kind of the idea Iā€™m ultimately shooting for. What Iā€™m going to do is sew a custom sized bag from landscaping fabric. Iā€™ve already sewed (sewn?) together a bag with fishing line. I found some Spiderwire braid which is more flexible (Horrible for fishing by the way) and will be perfect for bag sewing.

Here we are this morning, and yeah the white balance snuck back to itā€™s old settings. After the last watering itā€™s standing at attention again!

4 Likes

Just make sure to be careful with woven materials as a pot. The nursery bags are nonwoven to not pinch roots like woven ones have a bad habit of doing. Iā€™m sure theyā€™re not the hardest to make if you looked into it. All you need is something breathable and paper thin that wonā€™t disintegrate after filling with soil.

Iā€™m in a situation myself where money is too tight, so I understand about it not being a option ATM. I had to remove my nursery bags from my cart when I got my fabric pots and perlite. They werenā€™t needed, so out they went. Iā€™ve been trying to fix my soil for the last month with a idea what I have to do and fussing over why my soil took so long to dry for half a year nowšŸ¤¦šŸ»ā€ā™‚ļø I blame the autism here straight up. I donā€™t control when it takes hold of my mind. Not without a good strain like Zkittlez and about 200mg CBD if itā€™s been awhile 500mg minimum after a week. CBD is expensive. Iā€™d rather grow.

Iā€™m not deleting that as a example of what I was saying while it was happening :rofl:

Back on point:
Regardless of what you do just be nice to the plant roots. They are why you get that good yield you want. Be kind to the roots and they will love you back and show you their potential.

1 Like

Also looking really good now!:slightly_smiling_face:

Just give it some time. Itā€™s almost ready to top. Is it a Photoperiod or Autoflower?

2 Likes

If you go to the fabric store you can buy ecofelt. It is the same material they use in fabric pots. It is made of recycled water bottles.

Also pick up some nylon thread. I have been using my bed for well over a year with no issues.

4 Likes

Thanks for the sage advice on thatšŸ¤” one day Iā€™ll make one too. Yours turned out great in that

Yeah, I like improvising since it gives me something to do, and itā€™s sort of in the spirit of creating custom grow equipment that just isnā€™t off the shelf. The construction part is the slowest most challenging thing for me. Itā€™s also half the fun!

I envision a grow bag about the same size as that milk carton but from some black landscape fabric doubled up. One layer is a little too fragile.

I can tell now that the plant is defiantly drinking more now that itā€™s leaving the seedling stage. Iā€™ll have to start watering every other day. Thatā€™s a good thing!

Reiko to answer your question this should be a feminized photoperiod seed. So no autoflowering. Iā€™m on an 18/6 cycle right now.

Lets see if I can get the white balance right this time.

Here it is this morning:

7 Likes

Plodding along, I moved the plant down since I could see the edges of the leaves getting a tiny bit light bleached.

Iā€™m counting five nodes now, if I top it, would I snip at the fifth node or the sixth? Iā€™d like to espalier the plant to make it grow laterally with some bamboo sticks, since I have two other lights which could help out.

I should have mentioned but Iā€™m on an 18/6 light cycle right now.

Here she is this morning:

6 Likes

Hey @zap_rowsdower I say people pinch the very top growth down to the next node. Just pinch and crush lightly. That should stimulate the plant to ā€œbush outā€ some. Then after a week or so you should be able to see what you are working with and whether you will need to top to fill the space. If you pinch delicately enough you will keep the top it will just take a while to veg back outā€¦ Then you can apply @Mr.Sparkle FlopTek as needed. Nice project by the way!

3 Likes

I agree with Stu, I think you might want to top and start training now to keep low and bushy

2 Likes

Hey fellas,

So when you pinch, do you mean pinch with thumb and fingernail as in ā€œpinch offā€, Is this sorta like FIMing? or just pinch the whole shoot above the fifth node off?

2 Likes

If topping with pinching Iā€™d personally fim over full top. Topping on average makes 2 branches while fimmed tops tend to show 4 or more per top. Someone correct me if I got it wrong, but fim>top in most cases?

1 Like

Yes, the ultimate goal is to FIM basically but if you are gentle enough you could pull off 5 topsā€¦

2 Likes

There are many ways to train to get you to your end goal of espalier ā€¦iā€™ll add another which is my preferred way when I want to keep them short and go wide: Nebulaā€™s Manifold. This technique does take a bit longer to fill out than fimming or flopping (supercropping) so many shy away from it though it is another tried and true method

5 Likes

You could also try bondageā€¦ I mean LST!..
I meanā€¦Iā€™m just gonnaā€¦
(walks away)

:grin:

4 Likes

Now I need to grow a strain called Wonder Woman just to lst her and have the original character in plant formšŸ¤£

3 Likes

(peeks in)
Seedsman and Nirvana can help you with that LOL. Had never heard of that strain until now. Sounds sexyā€¦I mean tastyā€¦I meanā€¦
(leaves room again)

Alright, Iā€™ll stop haha.

2 Likes

I believe Iā€™ve actually heard of the strain before. Worst case if it doesnā€™t exist I find one that loves LST so much it deserves the name. Tie her up and sheā€™ll reveal all to youšŸ¤£

1 Like

Just looked up a lot of old Wonder Woman comics and ummā€¦she definitely is tied in many of them LOL.
Soā€¦getting back on topic:
Nice plant you got there @zap_rowsdower. Iā€™m a little disappointed that Iā€™ve yet to grow a short plant well, they always seem to stretch with the way I grow them. I was always used to hot lights so I tend to keep them a little far away from the bulb. Now with LEDs Iā€™ve yet to see my seedlings and young plants get heat stressed (meaning I could lower the light), but old habitsā€¦

Love the PC case too. Always wanted to have a stealth grow, just for the wow factor.

Let me get you a soda from my fridge: Weed!
Wanna play Fortnite on my new PC: Weed!

2 Likes