I finally managed to get some decent genetics, and have decided to give it another go. I decided on some feminized Blue Mystic from Nirvana seeds if I remember correctly.
I tried the paper towel germination this go round, so I first scraped one of the littlest seeds with an emery board, then stuck it in a ziploc bag with a folded dampened paper towel.
I used a neodymium magnet to keep the ziploc bag stuck to the back of the fridge where it was sorta warm in the house. Man, after only one day I saw the taproot emerge.
I then stuck the seed in the pot I've created and waited about 3 days for it to finally break ground.
I moved to a half of a half gallon milk carton this time. I cut a bunch of holes in the bottom and put a piece of landscape fabric, then about 1/2 inch of sand at the bottom. I filled the rest with Fox Farms Ocean Forest.
I don't know why I can't just be happy with something off the shelf or a solo cup. I think because I have such a squat grow space and it's square; I can't really abide by anything at the store or round!
I'm watering with filtered tap water, I'm using three teaspoons of Fox Farms Grow Big, and one teaspoon of superthrive. I've also dropped the ph a little since we have pretty hard water here. I'm using a few drops of phosphoric acid to bring the ph down to 6.2~6.5 range.
It seems like I can go almost a week from waterlogged to light and dry.
I stuck the seed in the pot on 11/25
Here it is this morning:
( You can see it's a little droopy, and I can tell when the leaves get crispy )
It's fairly bushy! I'd like to LST this thing, and eventually top it, but it's so compact right now, as far as I can tell I've only got one node, maybe two.
I'm guessing I'm going to have to veg for at least a month before I can even think of topping this thing.
Anyways, I'll keep you posted with maybe a photo more frequently than every week!