ReikoX's Workshop

The castings came from a local nursery. I havent opened the bag, but it feels pretty dense unlike peat. I have no real way of knowing what good castings look/feel like. Eventually I will get a worm bin and my bokashi buckets going. For now I’ll just have to use what I have. Keep the advice comming, its nice to have someone steering me in the right direction.

I’m still debating what to run in there next. I have some Skywalker OG clones that I planned to run, but I may give them to my brother once I’m sure they won’t come with thrips.

I have quite a few seeds I want to pop. I have 150 Ancient Skunk#1 seeds. They are from the early 90’s so germination rates are pretty low. Maybe cast those over the whole bed and see what pops up?

A quick auto run could be a good test, but my male:female ratio has sucked with this batch. I could plant my feminized ones and pollinate them in there, but I prefer to pollinate in a seperate area.

I also got some Mental Floss x Block Head freebies that sound pretty interesting. Or throw some of thosr Zak Haze clones in there… So many choices.

10 Likes

The only way to know is by emailing them. You can post om craigslist or whatever looking for thermo compost that would be better then the castings you bought. I have to ship my castings… 25 bucks a bag. 37 to ship itXD buildasoil can ship you good compost, castings, and anything else you may want. Also you should add powdered malted barley. Powderize it yourself.

And for the plants. Im a haze man. Throw those haze clones in there. They dont need as much food as some wide leaf varities.

4 Likes

Thanks, I’ll check out the castings and contact them. I have a feeling they will be fine. Funny you mentioned the malted barley, I bought a pound of rice hulls and a pound of two-row from the homebrew store. How much do you suggest I add, for the 2 cubic feet (15 gallons) of soil I’m making?

The Zak Haze isn’t really haze type plant, though it does have SSH in it. Really, the name is in honor of a fallen cannabis warrior named Zak Hayes. That being said, it’s one of my favorite cultivars right now.

If I go clones, I’ll stay the course and stick with the Skywalker OG. If I go with seeds I will try to get some Ancestral Skunk#1 to germinate. Something about my old school self really wants some Skunk to puff on!

7 Likes

I use 1 cup per cuft of compost. I amend my compost and then mix with peat and lava rock.

4 Likes

That zak haze sounds dank ssh is a good strain i got some shatter of it a bit ago

2 Likes

First I built the frame out of PVC, then I measured and cut the bottom felt. It is 16"x31" so I have room for a 1/2" seam all the way around.

Next I measured out the felt for the sides. This piece is 13"x92". I folded and pinned 10 1/2 inches up, making the top loop for the PVC, then pinned it around the frame to mark my circles for the joints and the corners.

Next I cut out the circles for the joints and sewed the top seam. Then, using the marks drawn for the corners, I sewed the two pieces together all around the bottom piece.

Everything was put together and fit in the cabinet. The fit is good, but I was covering about 1/2 of each intake.

Well, nothing a little sawing can’t fix! I enlarges the holes as much as I could, and I’m pretty comfortable with it now.

Finally I mixed up the soil and filled up the bed. I watered in some of the Soil Balance according to the labels directions.

So the soil bed itself was only about $20 to make and I have enough fabric to make several more. The soil cost me about $185 for two cubic feet, and I have a bunch of peat and amendments left. While I was mixing up soil anyway, I also amended another two cubic feet of my recycled soil with the same recipe.

31 Likes

Hell yeah goodjob makin that pot! Makes me wanna make a little chamber like old days

4 Likes

I got my cover crop from build a soil yesterday. According to their directions, I want 6 grams per square foot, so I weighed out about 20 grams of seed. Then I loosened up the top 1/4" of soil, sprinkled the seed, and lightly watered it in.

I need to be careful with watering the new bed. I got a tiny bit of runoff in my veg chamber. I noticed when I went to water my clones that the top of my T5HO was damp. In theory I won’t have to worry about runoff once the microherd are established.

I also have an issue with my ventilation circuit. Either my fan controller broke or came loose. The circuit is supposed to run the fan through the speed controller when the thermostat is off in order to keep negative pressure in the cab. Without negative pressure, smell tends to leak out of the cab. It still comes on when hot, but doesn’t run constantly. My small oscillating fan broke last round, that may have contributed to the issues I had in there. I found a new one on Amazon and will order it soon.

I mixed up some perlite and peat for a light mix and transplanted five Blue Dream clones into that. I watered the mother plants in veg with what was left of the Soil Balance Pro (SBP) I had mixed up. They are looking much better since I sprayed them with Spinosad. They will get a follow up spray in a few more days.

The party cup hempys got fed again. They are fully flowering already, autos are fast! The Crystal Candy is just growing the second set of leaves. This weekend I will germinate the other 10 autoflower seeds I have. Once all of the plants are above soil, I will move them all to the PC. It wasn’t worth it to run the PC with just a single plant. The Crystal Candy will start getting sprayed with colloidal silver once I see the first pistils and continue until fully formed male pollen sacks form. If the pollen falls freely, I will simply allow him to hang out with all the other girls. The only yield I am looking for from this project is seed.

The Bubba Kush S1 clones are looking very bad. This is the second time they have done this to me. I’m wasting time trying to get them healthy. This was going to be the run to determine if I was going to hang onto this plant, and I think the answer is going to be no. I am either going to toss out the clones and soil and start over, or cut them back hard and hope they make a comeback. New growth is still yellow and they are not drinking much. Ironically, a little sprout popped in one of the pots and doesn’t seem to mind the hot soil at all. It is likely an autoflower seed. I threw a few in some pots when I did my seed run to test germination. They show up every now and again.

I was running a perpetual SOG in one side of the workbench for a while and got tired of the work load. I would clone six plants a week. Once new growth was seen, three would get transferred to the SOG and three would be harvested. Watering all those plants by hand was also a lot of work. I was also not in compliance with my plant count when I was running the SOG. When the screens consistently out performed the SOG, I decided to switch both sides to screens.

Now my cycles are not very regular and I miss the more frequent harvests. So, I am thinking about running the whole workbench as one perpetual system. I keep six plants in there, so if I put two in every three weeks, I should be able to consistently produce nine week varieties. Every three weeks six plants of a single variety will be cloned (it usually takes three weeks to get good roots with my micro method). After rooting for three weeks, they will be put into a party cup to veg for another three weeks. After three weeks in the party cups, the two best will be transferred to the pots and screens (the remaining will be gifted or culled). After three weeks of training in the screen, they will be moved to the flowering side. After nine weeks flowering, they will be harvested.

11 Likes

The party cup hempys are starting to get thirsty. They need to be watered every morning, and I may even be able to bump it up to twice a day. The flowers are starting to show, and at least one is starting to smell dank and sweet. The Crystal Candy seedling is starting to get it’s second set of leaves. Soon it will take off and I will start the CS treatment.

The Jilly Bean clone is still doing it’s crazy fascination thing. Notice how there are two sets of leaves on every node? Then there are two buds sites forming on each side as well. The other clone is going to make a cool mother plant. I topped her once and am waiting to get a bunch of clones off of her.

Here is a shot of this side of the cab. The two on the right are a bit taller, and have that sweet tangerine smell on the stem rub. The ones on the left have more of an earthy smell with a hint of orange, but is also a bit shorter and has fatter buds. From now on, this side will be where I flower. I have room for two more before the back two are done, so it shouldn’t be empty in there for too long.

On the other side are the Bubba Kush S1 clones. As you can tell they look quite bad, and they are not drinking. I ran twice my normal volume of RO water through them last time I watered them. They had runoff of 900 ppm, but only about 7.0 pH. They aren’t drinking still I doubt they will pull through, but they have a few weeks before I throw them out. If you look closely you can see the little seedling in the bottom right of the photo. From now on, this side will be where I veg my plants. I think I will even get a 4200K MH bulb for this side to match closer to the 6500K spectrum of the T5HO.

I found the problem with the ventilation in the no till cab, user error. I must have bumped the dial when installing the dimmer for the LEDs. When I noticed it not on, I turned it all the way to the right. When I went to inspect it, I saw that all the way to the was labeled 0%. That was an easy fix :grin: Now I just need to pick up a new ventilation fan and I will be ready.

15 Likes

Looks good man. Id toss the bubba. You could find something way better in seed form! HSO even has bubba in seed form. And many crosses with it that are incredible.

4 Likes

Yeah, I’m not too thrilled with the S1 seed. I grew it out a couple of times and it’s similar, but not really Bubba Kush.

About my no till bed… I’ve planted some cover crop but I don’t have any mulch layer. Should I get some straw from the feed store or something until the clover comes in? And what about worms? Can I grab some red wigglers or night crawlers from Wal-Mart to add in? I’m thinking the answer to both is yes, but I am still waiting. I have the lights on for 12 hours on the lowest setting right now. I am going to bump it up to 18 hours tonight.

5 Likes

Yessir. You can mulch if you tend to forget to spray the soil to germ the cover crop. And yes the red wigglers and euros from wallyworld will work. But you can get em cheaper on craigslist or something. And not support the worst company ever

4 Likes

Thanks! I am already seeing some germination, so may pass on the mulch for now. :leaves: My daughter wanted some pet worms last time we were at Wal-Mart, so I have been looking at worm bins on Amazon :grin:

3 Likes

Check out smart pots bro. Save ya money. And its a better worm bin than anyone you can buy.

Get your daughter making your plants food.

3 Likes

So many little sprouts. I could get high and stare at them all day.

15 Likes

I’m so excited my new Bubbleman Trinity pen came today! I wasn’t expecting it for another week. The box is simple and elegant. It comes with a trinity tank, a Bubbleman battery and a USB cable for charging. The size of the tank and battery was smaller than I expected. I also ordered a second tank.

The intention is to use Blue River terpenes with your rosin to make “terp sauce”. I was buying terpenes online for a while, then they stopped selling them in the US. I would have preferred to use it as intended, but am experimenting with off-label use.

Tony V. alluded that you could heat up the rosin in a hot water bath, suck it up with a syringe, then fill a tank with that. I first tried a coffee warmer and a small glass container, but I likely wasn’t patient enough. I ended up putting the rosin in the back of the syringe and pushing it through with the heat from my e-nail.

The results were sloppy but successful. I have a few ideas of what to do different next time. Tony mentioned decarb, so I think that might be a good idea. I saw lots of bubbling as I heated it up in the syringe. I also have some bud that makes super terpy rosin that I will try with the next tank.

I have several pens by UP tech. On the left is the Herculese. Its a decent wax pen. It holds about 0.8 grams and hits fairly hard. It does have a tendency to burn the rosin if you’re not careful. It also seems to need about 0.4 grams to “prime the wick” after a cleaning. The way The tank comes apart makes it pretty easy to clean, and I’ve been able to put several grams through it before needing to clean it again. It’s pretty easy to fill. The form factor is another issue, it is huge.

In the middle is the O-phos pen. It’s also a decent wax pen. It has a ceramic cup with a titanium wick. Refilling it is pretty easy, but it only holds around 0.1 grams or so. The form factor is awesome, a little pen that is very discrete. It won’t get hot enough to burn the rosin, though sometimes takes forever to heat up. The element on mine burnt out, so it is out of comission until rebuild my coil. The Trinity pen has replaced this product.

Finally we have the trinity pen. Hacking it to work with rosin is a pain for filling it, but I got quite ripped last night testing it out. The form factor is good and I haven’t gotten a burnt taste yet. I will use it at work today and see how it goes. Right now, if you can’t get the Blue River terpenes I’m not sure if it is worth the hasstle. I’m looking forward to trying it some more.

7 Likes

I want the trinity pen. But 150 for .25ml of terps means 75 dollars for the terps in the pen alone… then i need to make some sort or concentrate. Ill get one when im rich;)

2 Likes

I’m sure the cost of terpenes will come down. Right now it’s (possibly artificial) supply and demand. I wouldn’t mind the cost, but am limited in availability. I’m going to try some Juanita la Lagrimosa rosin tonight. It’s a terpy rosin that is almost liquid on its own. It’s also 1:1 THC:CBD so I should be able to smoke more of it. I have to say it’s working well so far. Great flavor and effect.

2 Likes

And when they come down ill grab some pensXD i dont mind the prixe. I buy them at 150 no prob. I just wouldnt be able to waste half to put in some oilXD

1 Like

The Crystal Candy auto was started about two weeks ago. Tonight I soaked the other 10. They are all going in the PC. This is going to get crazy Dr.BudGreenGeans style!

I decided to take some advice from @lotus710 and direct sow the seeds into their final homes. We have 1 Fast and Vast (Heavyweight Seeds), 1 Big Devil XL (Sweet Seeds), 1 Lowryder mix (Seedsman), 1 Ultraviolet (Samsara), 1 The Devil (Delicious Seeds), 1 La Musa (Delicious Seeds), and 4 La Diva (Delicious Seeds).

My mom’s look 100x better now that there are no more thrips. I did a followup spray of Captain Jacks Dead Bug. I trimmed them up and got rid of the damaged or yellow lower stuff. I also took six clones of Holy Grail 69.

The Bubba Kush S1 clones finally dried out enough to water again after 10 days. The runoff was down to 600 ppm. I threw some cover crop on top of the pots. If the BBK don’t make it, at least they will be ready for the next round of clones.

13 Likes