36 Watts or Bust!

Don’t be afraid to post a bunch per post. We’d all love to see as many pics as you want to share

4 Likes

Hey Oni, the seedling really took off up to where we are now. As of now it’s kinda boring. I am noticing one thing, that if this grows much more in veg I’m going to have a hell of a time in flower. The PC case sounds like a good idea until you realize there’s no dang space. We’ll see how well it does in flower. I’d like to have this go another week so that fim fully heals and the plants back in it’s groove. Here we are this morning:

3 Likes

Do some LST to keep your plant small it will help a lot.

6 Likes

This. You’ll love the results

2 Likes

@zap_rowsdower, I tied my plants down with zip ties that I had lying around and it really helped to manage the vertical growth because I was scared they would reach my lights if I didn’t. It’s worked good thus far. I may have to do some more if all my females continue to grow during flowering.

2 Likes

I grew a plant a while back in a pc case.
I used an ice cream tub as it was a lot wider than tall that also helped me.

2 Likes

There is one major stalk with about 6 nodes now, should I bend the main stalk over and tie the whole thing down? That big stalk looks like it’s nice and snappable lol! I was kind of hoping after the FIM that there would be a few bigger branches that would shoot out that I could tie to a trellis I’ve made, but it looks like it wants to christmas tree on me pretty hard. The little shoots under the canopy of fan leaves are not poking through, and they’re not long enough to peek out of the fan leave canopy even with LST. Doh!

2 Likes

If it’s not woody right after watering it should be malleable enough to bend the stalk over. Just do it gradually. All at once can snap it if you believe it’s a concern. Little by little each morning. If you feel it pull back don’t fight it.

2 Likes

I’ve never snapped a stem or branch by using LST, but I have by supercropping (bending with no tying). I would use two tie down points for your first bend to offset some of the pressure from the lower part of the stem, like this:

Might look like a waste of time, but I think that technique is key to preventing snaps in the stem when first training it. Just be sure that lower string/wire has some tension to it or else it will just be decorative lol.

Oh and, like @OniTenshu said, you don’t have to bend it fully right away. It can be done as gradual as you prefer.

3 Likes

It’s almost time to bend mine. I’m at 3-4 nodes rn. I can’t remember if the base stem counts as a node otherwise I’m at 3 nodes. 5th and 6ths leaf set are forming. The node for the 5th leaf set hasn’t stretched yet, so it’s still small.

Soon I’ll have some more plants to fuss over. So far it’s just chill for me. That boring part where a lot happens, but other than growth it’s not worth doing anything :sweat_smile: it’s still compact, so I might not need to train this one, but let’s see the others after they develop. It’s grows like this that remind me that it’s possible to grow even if you can’t afford(figuratively or literally) more electricity for the babies

2 Likes

Well, I went a bit slow, but kinda man handled the thing. I made sure I did this before watering. And I managed to bend the entire stalk over. I did manage to snap one little non fan leave (duh) off right at the base, I stuck it in water to see if it’ll clone lol. But at the end I used rubberbands to help keep the stalk bent. And after a night of light it seems to have done OK. The bud sites have poked thru the fan leaves and are heading UP. If I can keep tucking the fan leaves away who knows!

I should have been doing this two weeks ago. Lesson learned. Start early!

7 Likes

It’s never too late to start LST. What you ste doing is releasing apical dominance, allowing the lower branches to grow taller and making a bushier plant. It dr les the same thing as topping, but without the stress of removing the plant matter.

3 Likes

In future grows you might want to move your plant to the right before training, instead of in the center, so you could train it towards the left and maximize the horizontal space you have in the PC case. Just an idea in case you run out of space to train during this grow.

Edit: The same could be done left to right, but getting the pot (which gets watered regularly) closer to electricity (black box and wires) is definitely not recommended lol.

4 Likes

All right, well the fimmed part I pulled down, I can let that rise up a little more.

I guess next time I don’t even have to FIM I can just bend. I’m starting to learn now.

I was concerned that the FAN leaves were getting all the light, well now I can let the real stalks through and bend the fan leaves out of the way, the plant does the rest and moves the leaves so they’re not crowding each other, it’s pretty awesome!

Mistic, I can move the plant right or left, it’s just sitting on a cigar box and a Monty Python DVD!

Of course I’ll have to move the ties that I have installed but they’re attached to magnets so I can adjust the tension.

Here we are this morning:

2 Likes

Looking good!:slight_smile: The color seems to be improving too. I just did mine last night too. Seems we have a hive mind going on on this site. Busy worker bees LoL

1 Like

You can still top all the new growth and tie the branches down. That way you could fill your space with an even canaopy of loads of lovely buds. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The plant is still bent over, and now the rubber bands aren’t even really putting tension on any longer. I do think the pot is root bound since when I water now it takes quite some time for the water to seep through. I’m contemplating transplanting it into a bigger pot. I’d like to throw this into flower at some point. When they say finishes in 60 days I thought that was from seed lol, I’m now figuring out that’s total flowering time hah!

Oni, I can’t find your thread is it in Growroom Diaries?

Here we are this morning:

4 Likes

OK, I moved the pot back, and I can tell that water is indeed taking longer to seep through now. So I’m thinking I might repot this thing, also I’m wondering if I should just flower it as is. Anyways I was also noticing the catch 22 of the stalk size.

I thought it would be better to let it grow taller then flop it over so I could get it to fill the case laterally, but if I had let it get much taller then the stalk gets too tough to effectively bend over, who knows but still.

Anyways here we are this morning, I moved the whole plant back so that it has more access to the lights.

As a side notice, you can see the four COBs spaced evenly on the heat sink, I thought as far as symmetry it would be best, but in retrospect you can see that last cob towards the back of the case is kinda being wasted just lighting up the mess back there live and lean lol!

3 Likes

You could probably tie the plants down over the lip of the pot. Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but to my knowledge they’ll grow just fine if you do this. That way you can fill out as much room as possible. Bonus you also have a easier time watering.

3 Likes

Hey Oni,

That’s what I was thinking, I wish I had one of those hole punches that cuts a nice round 1/4 circle out of paper, then reinforce it with some duct tape just to keep it from tearing out.

I’m going to go this route with the bag I’m gonna sew up, IF I can get to actually getting one made. I made a prototype but it’s way too big, I need to just sit down and do it.

Hopefully I’ll have it repotted tonight or tomorrow!

2 Likes