4’x4’ - 2x600w HID - First Grow

Day 18. Humidity has been up last couple of days. Going to increase feeding frequency, decrease length of time of feeds to 1 minute every hour with a 2 minute feed every 5 feeds to ensure a run off from medium. With 3 drippers per pot of 4 litres per hour, this works out at 200mls per minute per pot. Im keen for to hear ftom others with experience using drippers and what feeding regime worked for them?

4 Likes

Reservoir setup. Seems to hold 20 degrees temp well

2 Likes

killing it man you should pack some more in there! id look into trellising with your set up you could put 20 plants in there and tellis them and have a much much larger yield

1 Like

Gday @Billy…thanks mate. Yeah really enjoying it so far. I’ve planned on running string across from wall to wall for a Scrog style setup. 16 was my original number I was hoping to put in but I under ordered seeds and combined with a few not making it I ended up with 11. Cheers

1 Like

Nice cruiser speed man, GJ.

1 Like

Day 20. 1 more week of veg then flip them. I’m currently working on a co2 delivery system and will hopefully have it installed in the next day or so.

12 Likes

Bang up job. Lookin nice in there.

1 Like

Pictures taken yesterday - Day 23
Today turning them 12/12, metal-halide (6000k) lamps out and high pressure sodium (2000k) lamps in, CO2 on timer to flow 10 litres per min for 1 min, fans off for 40 min then extract for 15 min then repeat cycle while lights on. As I don’t have a co2 meter I’m skipping every 3 hourly dose.

9 Likes

Day 25. First light cycle of 12/12 with co2. Humidity went through the roof. Left fans on to dry out room during dark period. Going to vent more during light period next cycle and hope it keeps humidity at reasonable level.

5 Likes

Checked on the room this morning and humidity back down 60-65 so much better than yesterday. A few of the leaves showing minor blotching and they are brittle. I’m putting this down to overwatering over the past couple of days, so I’m just going to monitor them at this stage.

4 Likes

5 Likes

I’ve read some threads on similar leaf abnormalities and seems could be a Potassium deficiency? With the added co2 and 12/12 cycle started, anyone’s thoughts on this? I’ll be checking them soon so will post photos if any changes. Thanks

No more or worsening signs on leaves…tested reservoir pH and was 6.8, so will correct down to 5.8 and monitor.

1 Like

Great catch on the PH, as fast as it happened, it should fix itself. Just be sure to keep your PH meter calibrated regularly.

Nice clean detailed thread you got, Keep it up. Your grow is looking great! :+1:

2 Likes

@Roux Thanks mate…had a look at meter and adjusted 0.3 using 7.0 calibration fluid. Going to fill reservoir and freshen nutes now.

1 Like

I’m waiting for Amazon to drop off some buffer packets so I can calibrate my meter. The meter has been solid for the last month, always showing a difference whenever I adjusted the nutes up or down. all of a sudden it seemed like it wasn’t reacting to any amount of Up/Down I was adding. Good thing I stopped before I added too much! I could have fed my plants battery acid by the time I stopped adding if I trusted the numbers it was giving me. Hopefully the meter will be OK after a cal. This is one reason I’m super hesitant to automate my pH (meter, dosing pumps, etc…). Seems like unless you spent a bunch of money, you can’t get a meter that’s reliable enough to do that.

3 Likes

Yeah @bisceg, had similar problem a month ago but mine was reading 15-16. It’s a cheap one, but according to the bloke at the shop, even the more expensive brands have their dramas. I was pulling my hair out…I had jars of test strips, bottles and drippers of some aquarium type test, then more strips. In the end I rinsed the meter, took batteries out and back in, then calibrated with solution. I know they recommend to keep the meters electrode in some sort of preserving solution to keep it from drying out, and temp of nutrient reservoir can make a big difference on the reading too. All seems a bit complicated…my tap water is fairly stable, if on alkaline side, so once I get a routine going I’ll try and stick to it, and test if any issues arise. Good luck with it anyway mate. I’ll be interested in your automation project, I’m thinking of tinkering with an arduino for data logging.

1 Like

Its typically accepted to keep your PH probe in 4.01 PH testing solution if you do not have the storage solution. Don’t store it in distilled or deionized water, it will defuse the electrode, which makes it less accurate.

Always good practice to keep your PH electrode submerged when not in use. Never let it dry out.

If you take good care of your tools, they will work like they should and last forever.

3 Likes

Looking super healthy in there. I’m peanut butter and jealous!

2 Likes

Ya the Arduino stuff is super inexpensive and there’s an unlimited amount of options. Lots of ideas and material to learn from online. Big community. I’m by no means an expert, but hit me up if you have any ideas, questions, etc…

Just got my cal buffers in and when I go to calibrate, I got the dreaded ERR. :dizzy_face:
Not sure what to do now. Prob run out and grab another cheapo for now. I contacted the company, but not holding my breath to hear back.

2 Likes