4’x4’ - 2x600w HID - First Grow

Lower bud sites can now be seen in next few pictures.

1 Like

Thanks for the tip @Billy on clearing and opening up canopy :ok_hand: and also thanks for suggesting similar earlier in the grow @BiglebowskiFl
I’m happy with progression…already planning next grow, which maybe getting a head of myself a bit, but what can I say… I’m a daydreamer

3 Likes

no problem it looks like you got some light burn there id raise lights forsure. you could even pull some leaf out of there too, looking good though !

1 Like

Not at all. It is far better to have a head full of plans so you can spring into action at the right time than for the right time to present itself and you have no idea what is the best thing to do.

I have at least the next six months planned out usually. I know what I will swap out between cycles next time, what infrastructure upgrades I will do the time after that, when I need to swap my bulbs out, and so on.

Part of that plan is investigate switching to a 315CMH/HPS hybrid for a better spectrum, start a test LED tent, increase the number of pumps on my doser etc etc etc

1 Like

Yeah I’m definitely looking into the 315cmh/hps aswell. I’m actually renting at the moment and may have to move so I was thinking of a cabinet grow while I dismantle current room.

Starting to fill out. I can really start to see the different strain characteristics in them now.

1 Like

1 Like

A grow tent is a good option, quickly can be broken down and easily moved. Quickly can be setup again at the new location. Great idea for moving. :+1::seedling:

2 Likes

1 Like

Doing very well for a first grow!

I do see you have leaf burn along the edges of some leaves, some curl up, and they are very green. Some of your leaves are ‘clawing’ too.

To me, it looks like you are overfeeding as well as your room might be too hot/dry or your plants are too close to the light. I see you have bent down some plants, that will help. If you can, increase your airflow, maybe check your fans are blowing where you want them to now your plants are bigger. If you can’t, raise your lights.

Also, cut back on the feed a bit, it will help them deal with the heat stress as a bonus.

The bottle ALWAYS suggests too much food. Of course, they want you to use lots of it :wink:

You could run at a strength closer to EC 1.2-1.4 and your plants will show the benefit. The leaves will be less brittle and you will see more growth. Right now, they have too much food and instead of increasing growth, it is slowing it down and damaging the leaves. The leaves are your solar powered sugar factories that feed the buds, if they get damaged, you get less bud.

Temps to aim for are closer to 26-28 day and 22 night but those are great temps for a first run, especially as the outside temp varies so much. For humidity, plants like 70-80% but so does mould so as the flower cycle progresses you should reduce humidity. At week 1 you should be at 70-80% and reducing humidity by 5% a week until you are at 50-55% when the buds are larger. IIRC you are at week 5-6 so you should be at 50-55% unless you know your strain is mould resistant in which case it could be higher.

Looking at the images, I find it hard to tell but it seems some older leaves are going yellow. As your feed is for sure strong enough, this could be a sign that your PH is off.

If they look in person as though they are going yellow, I would say to calibrate your PH pen and double check your PH. You want to aim for 5.8/5.9 in hydro. Some people swing between 5.5 and 5.8 to catch zinc at the bottom, and magnesium at the top.

If you are locking out your Potassium by having your PH too high, that might explain some of your symptoms.

Older leaves, necrosis, edge scorch suggests potassium and searching through the thread I notice the only PH reading I could find was 6.1 or so.

Looking at the top chart, potassium is locked out at that PH.

TL;DR lower your feed strength to about 1.4 and reduce your PH to about 5.8 and your plants will cope better with the heat and show less signs of stress/deficiencies.

2 Likes

Thanks @MicroDoser …yeah I had a problem with my EC a week or so ago. Got a blue lab truncheon second hand and it was reading really low. I didn’t realise till I picked up some calibration solution. So I’ve been topping up reservoir with plain water every day to slowly reduce EC. Gave the reservoir a wash out and filled fresh water with A + B to an EC of 1.2-1.4. I’ll reduce down again in 4 days.

The pH of the reservoir refill was tested and it’s 5.8, lower than before refill as it was around 6.4. I’ll check again tonight but I’m probably up for a new pH pen as I brought the cheapest one and it’s not calibrating correctly. I’ll probably pick one up tomorrow.

I was having problems with high humidity coming into flower and brought a dehumidifier. I set it to 50% but I will raise that to 55% as I did notice they seemed dry.

Also I’ll be increasing feeds with lower EC over next couple of weeks before the flush.

Thanks again for the tips and charts mate., really appreciate it

1 Like

2 Likes

I like the look of the Barney’s Farm red dragon, has a Sativa look about it. If I were to grow again with any of the current strains I would go with it. But set scrog early, turn sooner and weave it as it stretched. Lights at max height and they are a bit close. No major issues with the over fert. Down to .4 EC for a couple of days and re assess if time to flush.

Another week until flush I think.

2 Likes

2 Likes

4 Likes

5 Likes

Freakin beautiful Oz!

1 Like

Thanks mate. Pretty happy with them but have a few things I’ll change for next run. Harvested the tops of the light damaged one last night. Going to take the tops of another one tonight that’s ready. The rest are a week off, I think