5 gallon pails for outdoor

If i wanna use something like this would i have to drill some holes in the bottom?

5 Likes

Yes, or the plant will drown.

6 Likes

Ya, most plants won’t do well sitting in a pool of water. Especially weed. Weed hates wet feet.

Unless portability is a requirement maybe consider fabric pots?

Took me a couple minutes to find the thread. Here is a thread that discusses making your own fabric (smart) pots. Maybe it’ll give you some ideas. I’ve never used them before myself, but I have bought a roll of commercial grade landscaping cloth (weed barrier) and plan on making some. The only potential drawback I see with them is not being able to move them without causing damage to the roots. That said, have fun moving a 5 gal pail with 6’ of bud on top of it.

By all means, do whatever works for you. I’m just tossing it out there for your consideration.

2 Likes

I drill holes about 3 inches from bottom so it will hold some water

1 Like

Have to question that one. Sounds like an invitation to root rot to me. I’m always open to learning, so by all means educate me.

(not being a smart ass, or argumentative. Just asking)

3 Likes

Been doing it for 20 years, no issues for me, but to each his own

3 Likes

Check out hempy buckets – pretty much the same concept as he’s talking about.

5 Likes

A little more work and requires 2 buckets but you might look into Earth buckets. These where my standard outdoor pot before I had running water. Only had to water once a week in veg. But more like every 2-3 days late season in flower.

10 Likes

Hempy buckets work pretty well IMO. I’ve only just made one to try the method but the it’s going well and I’m only using perlite in there so would recommend trying with soil/coco for outdoor growing :+1:

2 Likes

If not for the contrarians in the world there’d be no such as progress.

Just strikes me as odd as I don’t recall ever seeing a pot with holes anywhere other than the bottom. I’d be concerned about he stagnant water sitting in the bottom causing root rot the same way leaving water sitting in a tray under a pot can do. But as you say, each their own.

1 Like

Yet another twist on hydro. Have to look into that.

1 Like

The water will naturally wick up, unless it’s being keep too wet. Outdoors it just you a little more grace period between watering. Important for a guerilla grower

3 Likes

What is the wall thickness like on those pails @rob0781? They’re about $2 cheaper than the ones I got at the local hydro shop.

1 Like

Color can be an issue. Heat, algae, etc. :v:

:evergreen_tree:

3 Likes

So you’re suggesting that wrapping with aluminum tape may be a good idea regardless of pail colour when using them outdoors. Good point and duly noted for future reference.

Cheers.

2 Likes

I used the orange buckets & my direct sun exposure made them dry out FAST & they were getting hot. So I added the 2nd bucket with about 2.5 gal of water & they went from a 2 day cycle to a 5-7. :thumbsup: I also considered making panda-film covers so only the stem would be exposed. Now my plants are in the ground, fwiw.

If camoflauge is a requirement, act accordingly. :wink:

If I did another container I’d opt for the “earthbox” or self-watering tub, about 15-30gallon.

:evergreen_tree:

3 Likes

Anything that isn’t in the ground outdoors is my wife’s problem. :fearful:

For what it’s worth, if it is in the ground and isn’t something I can smoke or eat, it had best be kept well away from where the lawnmower can get it.

4 Likes

Thanks for the replies everyone! Excuse my stupidity this is my 1st outdoor grow… I try to search before i post and sometimes there is so much information that its overwhelming … The only experience i have is hydroponics and its been almost 20 years…

3 Likes

Just wondering about these fabric containers, they were cheap so i bought 4, worst case i put tomatoes or something in them… They measure 11 inches tall and 12 inches by 12 inches, they hold 26.5 liters of soil.

Now also keep in mind I’m not looking to grow monsters, mainly just want to learn and hopefully have some decent bud for the winter months.

5 Likes

I’m also not sure of the wall thickness… i will get back to you.

1 Like