Make Your Own Felt Vase

Guys, does anyone have experience in making their own felt pot plants? I had thought of making a type of cultivation bed, of rectangular shape (30cm width, 30cm height and 200cm length). Well, I bought a resinless felt here in the city, it’s kind of a little mill, but it was not the softest and not the hardest, it’s a middle ground. I bought it and took it to the seamstress, I explained the idea and it did, and it delivered me today, the service very good, but at the time of the substrate, the pot is not “straight”, “firm”, it was falling, and became resembling a felt bag, the sides almost fluttering on the floor. I hope it is because of the felt being soft, but wanted to know the opinion of someone who has done something like that. I did not take photos because of the rush, but I did a drawing (no paint, do not laugh at me).

I thought about putting some straps of fabric that you have in camping backpacks, and put several vertically along the whole length of the pot.

Like that:

2 Likes

The felt pots that I have, consumer, are like felt “bags” in a way. The felt is fairly thick but without any soil they just collapse and are flimsy. Once soil is in place, they are self-supporting. Like a pillow in a way. As long as I don’t move them often, they work fine.

They do have some reinforced areas, like your strapping, and are doubled up in other areas with felt along the edges…

Rectangular:

Cylindrical:

Of course, these are rather small. The strapping for larger pots would probably be necessary to avoid ripping the fabric.

2 Likes

@Northern_Loki I loved the rectangular. I loved your rectangular bag. The top edge looks thicker. Did you put something inside or is it just a fold? I hope the belts work for me to stay the same as yours. Mine even with substrate fell, very sad. :sweat:

1 Like

I think they have some bamboo sticks woven into the perimeter of the rectangular bag (along the long edges). The cylinders do not have bamboo.

2 Likes

you can reinforce with PVC and attach straps to the top of the pots that will connect to the PVC. Like these

3 Likes

@LonnieBoy28 OMG that’s exactly what I wanted. Something stiff. I loved it. Could you tell me if the PVC go at the bottom too?

1 Like

thanks for the tip. Would it be the same as PVC? It is a good idea to complete something solid around the perimeter. :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Yeah PVC pipe will work, if your pots are big I would go with 3/4 inch diameter.

It looks like the legs are just supports and rest on the bottom of the bed.

1 Like

@Shadey Thanks for the observation, my friend. Now I have faith that will work, fill the house with beds of cultivation. :sweat_smile: :smiley:

2 Likes

Yeah, don’t think around the bottom but I could be wrong. Deaf need legs on the sides and on each end.

No reason pvc can’t go at the bottom too. Why would you bother? Can’t see it moving much when it’s full of soil. Just sew a pocket in and you’re good. Stay away from the grey PVC pvc for electrical work. It’ll flex more than the white stuff or beige CPVC.

What I’m curious about is the fabric itself. What about using black weed barrier some call landscaping cloth versus felt? Don’t see why it wouldn’t work, but then I’ve never used bags either.

Asked my wife if she’d do the sewing for me. I won’t repeat her reply in mixed company.

4 Likes

Yeah, I have some made with a double layer of landscaping cloth that have lasted a year and a half in an outside grow.

4 Likes

Here is how I did mine

6 Likes

I have half a 7 ft wide roll of the garden weed stuff, heavy grade, close to 50 ft long. I aquired it from a dumpster on a construction site about 4 years ago. I might make a frame with legs on the outside from 2x2 and just staple the felt to it from the inside to the legs and top. Make up some big ones for outside.

2 Likes

I made an 8’ by 2’ just last week out of leftover 2x4s, 2x2s, and some 1 bys

3 Likes

How did you secure them, I was thinking I might have to sandwich them between something on the top rail to stop it tearing away, with a lot of weight. I was going to use a nail gun stapler. Maybe a strip of 2x1 along the the 2x2 with the felt between them. I will have to dig the felt out and give it a tear test.

2 Likes

Yes, that is what I did wrapped around 2x2 & sandwiched the 1 bye on the inside of it. I will have some photos up tomorrow

2 Likes

I want to thank you all guys that help me with some tips or photos. @Northern_Loki @LonnieBoy28 @Shadey @Schmokey @ReikoX . Now i know what i have to do. I’ll buy some PVC, mount a structure and fiz the felt. Like reikox did. Photos coming soon. :grinning::green_heart:

6 Likes

Do fabric pots restrict the size of autos the way solid pots are said to do?

@Vertebrata - From what I’ve read so far it seems that if portability is important, fabric pots may not be the way to go. Be curious to know what other’s think on that one.

4 Likes

Fabric pots will not restrict the growth of the plant it will provide constant air pruning to the roots so no rootbound plants like plastic pots. I’ve been using smart pots for aometime now and nothing but great results. Repotting is a pain in the ass with them so I normally use them for final pot transplant for bloom.

4 Likes