5 gallon pails for outdoor

To quote somebody relevant, the only stupid question is the one you don’t ask. We’re all here to help each other. Don’t mind the odd bit of bickering. It’s how we all benefit, by thinking outside the box.

Those bags will probably work fine. Good score! Check out the link I gave you earlier. It explains how air pruning works. You’ll grow some pretty hefty plants in those bags.

Don’t need to go searching for a number Rob. Way too much much effort. Have you got one? How does it feel? Flimsy, or got some meat to it? Next time I’m in the area I’ll drop into the local PA and check one out myself, if they have them.

4 Likes

The boy on the label is lucky but not as lucky as his friends… :sunglasses: :camera_with_flash:

:joy:

Those bags should work fine.

:evergreen_tree:

4 Likes

I agree that boy will have some lucky friends haha. I kinda figured they would after looking at pictures of other outdoor grows.

2 Likes

Also wondering would promix premium all purpose be good soil to use? If i do use something like that do i still to feed or is this really good for 9 month like it says on their website?

2 Likes

Quite a few people seem to use pro-mix with mycorrhizae. If that’s the premium mix you’re referring to, that’d be the stuff. Some of us use that or similar as a base and add to the mix. Plenty of good soil supplements available to toss in there. Just do a search. It’ll keep you reading for days. Soil mix is like a**holes, as the saying goes.

2 Likes

Hempy buckets rock! You might need to go with a pretty light well drained substrate/soil mix if you are going to punch the hole up from the bottom as soil can get pretty manky if it’s constantly water logged. One approach I have used is to fill the bottom with a semi course perlite vermiculite mix. It will still hold and supply water, but will be less inclined to cause potential problems.

As in full of sh*t ? :laughing:

3 Likes

I was thinking more along the lines of opinion of how to get it done, but ya. That too!

Cheers.

2 Likes

The essential question concerning drainage is… Do you get a lot of rain frequently? If it’s not staying soaked constantly there should be nothing to worry about. If your in a place with bit much rain id be sure to use some water polymer crystals in your soil. Especially if you use the bags guerrilla style. The bigger they get the more often you’d need to water if using a container. But using the crystals can add a few days in between and possibly get you to the next rain. Just keep adj eye on the 10 day forecast the entire year :sunglasses: i have to

Our weather is strange sometimes we get alot of rain and we’ve also had some dry summers… The plants are gonna be in the middle of my back yard so I can water daily if need be

2 Likes

Well that’s good. The fabric pots are great if you can tend to them consistently

1 Like

I figured out a good reason why I’m happy I’m growing in pots… in the last couple of days I’ve counted about 11 of these buggers

I am thinking i may need to come up with a solution to get my girls up off the ground when they go out.

3 Likes

We’ve had plenty rabbits around and they’ve never messed with my weed. Rabbits would feed in a clearing just outside the back end of yard and run like hell if they saw the dogs coming. They knew the dogs were in the yard and pretty much didn’t care. They’d sure enough come in the yard to eat certain vegetables, but never touched my weed.

1 Like

Do they eat mary jane? I’ve got a bunch(?) of about 20 hares that feed down the back at dusk and dawn but they’ve never touched any plants. The bloody kangaroos are a different story though, especially when the girls are young and tender! I figured out pretty quick to keep plants in the house yard with the pups until they’re a bit bigger lol

4 Likes

Shows Roos are a higher form of intelligence right there than a mere hare.

5 Likes

wild hares round my house will eat most anything young and tender.

(accidentally clicked the save button, now I will finish)

So, after loosing about 5,000 tomato plants, 100,000 bean, pepper, corn, etc… I WILL NOT TAKE THE CHANCE AND PLANT CANNABIS OUTSIDE. Unless I get the laws change, and I get the funding to build a Tennis Court Size Cage With a Bird Netting Cover. That is about the only way, unfortunately.

mike28086

4 Likes

yes…

1. height.
  2. (possibly) intelligence?
  3. universal exploration (the Roos that jumped the Moon, apparently!) and possibly self awareness (depending on the potency…)

mike28086

2 Likes

I have been trying something, I have been cautious to bring it up (not knowing how it would turn out). So far, so good. I grow in grow bags with home mix compost, that sit in 48" x 32" x1" (7gal. capacity) deep plastic dog trays for overrun to catch. The overrun in the Winter one time was 1/2 full, going away for a couple of days. When I came back, the plants were fine and just a little water with nutrients remained in the trays. I let the plants dry out for 2 or 3 days (and just for kicks keep doing this to just one plant, other than changing the depth of the fluid level to 2" and dry out for 1 to 2 days as needed) and all seemed fine. The plant that has been growing in the fluid and nutrients will be harvested in 2 weeks. I plan to raise the plant up off the tray on a 8-cola drink crate that will be about 6" tall so I can flush the plant over the last week of its existence, whenever that might be. I have been keeping a eye on the entire plant (closely). No signs of mold or mildew, smells normal, looks like the other plants, possibly a tad bit larger.

What are your and the groups thoughts about this? Any thoughts or discussions, I would be interested, I’m just interested in trying things?

regards,

mike28086

1 Like

I think root rot the biggest thing. As long as that doesn’t happen I would think it would be better to have nutrient solution available on demand and not much different than hydroponics.

3 Likes

yes, I was on the line of thinking that it would not be much more different than hydro - both root systems are in the solution.

2 Likes

Honestly I’m not sure if rabbits will eat cannabis or not but I’m not willing to find out :smile:

3 Likes