🚨 ’78 Columbian - Grow Journal

That kills me. That’s the one part of cannabis I truly hate: seed life. I know it isn’t out of the norm for seeds, but imagining all those saved seeds, lost to time, of all things. I’m sorry that happened to you. It must have been a huge bummer; I know it would have been for me.

8 Likes

Watching with interest and anticipation. I’ve had a CGxPanamaRed in my grow since day one.

4 Likes

Damn! this is too cool. Like an archaeology dig of sorts.
I hope a couple sprout for you.
Following along!

5 Likes

I’m gonna tag along as well ,that is, if you don’t mind :v:t4:

3 Likes

Shiskaberry - The LA 79 definitely caught my eye. The seeds were in a garage in Oregon…which would help explain the OREG 84. I am very hopeful here but they have been sitting dormant for 42 years and I am hoping for the best. I had three seeds out of ten that wouldn’t sink, I clipped the ridge on all three and went ahead and planted them also.

Mr. Bill- I don’t have the time or interest in making up an internet story about some seeds. With respect to dating, I have always dated all of my seed runs. I totally agree with you concerning the germination rate, which is why I opted to use the gibberellic acid. I also agree, he had come connections. I am hopeful to get a few to pop.

Guitarzan- Thanks for the read, very interesting. I think I may save the last fifteen beans I have for Tissue culture. I am just starting to delve into it. I may send them off to a pro based on how this experiment goes.

Motaco - Thanks

Eudamon - They were found in all the separate packs as shown in the pic.

I promised my friend, if I could get them to pop, that I would do an open pollination. If this all works out to new seed stock, I am more than willing to share these very special genetics with nearly anyone who wants some. As of now, the seeds are in soil - in the dark, domed at 78 degrees on a heating mat.

~ PCC

24 Likes

In case you need it, the attached pdf explains how to germinate cannabis seeds in vitro. It is very useful with old seeds. In this way they have more days to develop without pathogen problems.
Have you looked inside the shell? is there something inside
c1850-info_1.pdf (524.7 KB)

19 Likes

What a crazy collection, hopefully some will go for ya!

4 Likes

Ha!! That’s the document that came with the TC starter kit we bought from Phytotech. :grinning:

There’s a lot of useful info on tissue culture in that doc, well worth the read if you’re interested. :vulcan_salute:
:guitar:

10 Likes

Thanks for sharing.
My beans just arrived from DOC’S. ( MAIDEN START ) for me.
will continue to follow
:sunglasses: :vulcan_salute:
MAY MOTHER BLESS YOUR BEANS.
AMEN

1 Like

HEY THANKS for expanding the soak process.
What you said makes sense.
Im sponging in process.
:sunglasses:
:vulcan_salute: :speech_balloon:

1 Like

This is interesting.

THANKS

This would make an interesting read.

:sunglasses: :vulcan_salute: :speech_balloon:

1 Like

36 hours in and patiently waiting…

Back to trim jail…

Gorilla Zkittlez

Have a great day OG crew!

~PCC

25 Likes

Should you have no luck in germinating these seeds, consider letting them dry out and putting them away again, in hopes that in the future better technology will allow you to grow these gems. ( can this be done with seeds that sank?) keeping any seeds that you did not attempt germination with set aside…It is possible to germinate very very old seeds. Even those that you couldn’t imagine would survive. Old seeds that my uncle put away were germinated with near 100% success, after Decades of storage in a ball jar at room temperature, in a high desert in Northern Washington State. Temperatures ranged from near a hundred degrees, down to -30 or -40 in the winter. Definitely not ideal storage. May the germination Gods be smiling upon your project.

8 Likes

Fun to watch super old gentics being reintroduce into the world. I’ll be in the back corner staring over everyone’s shoulders while this unfolds.
My only advise, make seeds brother and re-save these more then likely magical beans ,)

5 Likes

Make sure to post any pictures in the Central American thread, as well as here😁

3 Likes

Good luck man, I’m rooting for you! (No pun intended.) It’s a long shot, but if you pull this off you’ll have something very special on you hands!

8 Likes

rooting hard for some rooting!!!

5 Likes

I got a similar case, my old buddy was cleaning out his footlocker from the marines, he was stationed in SoCal in the late 70s thru 84 and gave me 8 seeds he said was panama red, no I’m 43 years old and I have never ran into this strain so I just keep them in my seed cash for a conversation object. I’ll be watching this one!!
I have no clue on how to properly grow these , I heard it was a long flower time

9 Likes

I would love to trade these for something with a quicker flower time since I’m in the mid-west

3 Likes

I’ll be watching. Hopefully fingers some good old skool sativa. Best of luck.

1 Like