7's Workshop of Weed

Last night vs this morning. Getting there! Tubs need more FAE, don’t think the holes ive added is enough so i’ve cracked the lid and rotated it to allow for more air exchange. Not sure if I need a small fan or something to circulate the air more.

5 Likes

What signs make you say you need more FAE? Just wondering cause if mine looked like that id be well happy haha

1 Like

If you look closely at the bottom you’ll see some fuzzyness. If that grows bigger than just a small point where the mushroom grows out, it needs more FAE. They’re not too bad, a few of them are (look middle right - fuzz is over 50% of the stem)

1 Like

I see, I get that on a few of mine too to be honest but its not harmful to my knowledge so I didn’t really bother much about it.

1 Like

second tub looking a bit… special

7 Likes

Thought i’d post my process here copied from a comment I made on reddit that might help someone

For my agar I use water I had used to simmer the rye grain I was prepping for my jars. I filtered that through a coffee filter and then took 900ml of it and 20g of agar agar powder and mixed together. Boiled for about 15 minutes whilst stirring which reduced it to about 800ml. I poured 200ml into 4 glass bottles and pressure cooked for an hour at 13psi.

So these were transfers from other plates I had growing. My process for making transfers is to set everything inside my SAB that i’ve wiped down with disinfectant. Wipe down my table, my scalpel handle, the dishes im transferring from with iso alcohol.

First i put a clean blade on my scalpel and flame sterilise until red hot, then open the receiving dish and press the blade into the edge to cool it, put the lid back on. Open the first plate and cut a small section. I find it easier to just press the blade in and then rotate rather than cut. Poke the wedge and lift out, put on the receiving dish and then set aside. Wipe down the scalpel with alc and then repeat.

Then I wrap in parafilm and store facing up for a day or so, then flip upside down.

For spore syringes its pretty much the same process except you squirt a few drops onto the agar. You sterilise the needle until red hot then squirt a few drops across the plate. Then isolate using transfer process.

You can also just scrape spores from a print directly onto the agar and it will grow out.

The pictures labelled S are originally from spore syringes where the ones labelled T are from a mushroom tissue sample.

3 Likes

Big harvest this morning from the first rye grain tub

The aftermath

Caps off for more spore prints -> syringes

Into the dehydrator

The special one in the second tub

11 Likes

Do you prefer spore syringes to liquid culture?
Looks great man!

1 Like

I haven’t tried liquid cultures, but i’m loving agar at the moment, plus I have like 400 dishes left from my bulk purchase! I much preferred doing tissue samples over spore syringe inoculation of the agar, though

1 Like

I never got growth on my spore syringe but the clones did well. I bought 10 premade dishes and it seems sufficient when doing G2G transfers. That’s a lot of Petri dishes to go through. Just picking your brain. I like to see how others operate to help improve my own skills.

Have a good one!

1 Like

I ended up having to buy bulk from a supplier because amazon “middlemen” kept sending me broken and perforated “sterile” bags. Might end up giving some pre-mades away along with spore syringes I end up making.

I wanted to do g2g when I had my GT spores but those jars ended up all with contam, but my agar jars are colonising pretty quick anyway - about a couple weeks

3 Likes

Hey 7, is your growtracker android only? I’ve an apple and a pc, but not an Android.

1 Like

Yeah Android only I’m afraid. I do development by trade so it’s all I know, plus I don’t own an iPhone. I actually got into Android development despite wanting to do iOS because of the (at the time) requirement of purchasing a developer license just to create apps for your own phone (and I knew Java at the time so that helped)

3 Likes

Girls are getting big! Apparently for mother plants designated for cloning, they have lower power light source and lower EC solution to keep them growing slower, so will be reducing everything. This might also give me an excuse to finally fix the potentiometer in my control panel.

Took 4 clones from plant C today. Other clones looking OK, no signs of roots yet. First set of clones just look dead which is pretty much how it always goes. Ordered some clonex and rapid rooters to try instead of my jiffy pods. I will get a successful clone even if that means I have to hack all 5 of these plants to pieces to achieve it :joy:

5 Likes

The second tub. Picked about half this morning and the other half tonight

The first tub dried - 50g not bad!!

Ground up 20g and put em into capsules for microdosing. These ones came out at about 150mg each but i usually try aim for 200-250mg. I only blended the mushrooms so they were still quite big chunks rather than a fine powder. Will need to blend, then oven on low for 30 mins or so, then use the pestle & mortar in the future to get a finer poweder

8 Likes

oh no i just discovered I’ve been vegging under 24/0 by mistake. Whoops! Not sure for how long… explains the massive growth

4 Likes

Gave the girls a big trim to keep them back a bit, along with feeding without any A&B, and a lil bit of pk13/14 in prep for cuttings I plan to be doing soon with a better kitted out cloning area.

11 Likes

Plant E CULLED. Was showing signs of fasciation so cut it down. Have 4 strong other candidates for clones anyway

5 Likes

New clone bay setup. The earlier tests I were doing were all failures so I decided to splash out and just get a bunch of stuff to help with cloning. I bought 4x 20w led tube lights to use to mount on my shelf rack, clonex gel, clonex spray, and rapid rooters. Took 6 cuttings off plant A and 4 off the rest. took a range of different cuttings to see which are more successful. I’m hoping I can get some this time, I just have to be patient and not mess with them :crossed_fingers:

6 Likes

Did you cut again the end of the stem after applying Clonex gel? exclaim|nullxnull

2 Likes