7's Workshop of Weed

ifish kindly gave me some advice for cloning: as clones have no roots they absorb water through the stem, like flowers in vases, that’s why you must recut the stem so it is free of Clonex before sticking it. Also he said you shouldn’t spray directly the plants, as water blocks the stomata and the clone doesn’t transpire … :sunglasses:

3 Likes

What’s the point of the clonex then? i know you can do clones by water but the success rate is much lower than if you dip in rooting hormone, i assume it gets absorbed into the stem to promote root growth.

That makes sense. I have a habit of not spraying directly from growing shrooms now because you’re also supposed to mist the walls else you hinder the mycelium from growing so i’ve been doing that also for the clones

3 Likes

I think you must just stick the stem with it so it promotes roots, you block water intake if you just drip it, and it loses its properties while mixed with water. If you check clone roots they always come out from the stem, not the bottom:

Captura

Before knowing that I succeeded with a DIY invented method while applying gel only to the stem and leaving the bottom in water … :sunglasses:

5 Likes

Ooo I’ll have to check it out, I plan on taking more cuttings in a couple weeks time I’ll try a different technique

2 Likes

The I series of mycelium I’ve been cultivating has been selected from 4 candidates I currently have growing in grain jars (I, III, V, VI) but I was looking the strongest.

I’ve already inoculated 4 more jars with the 2 dishes of transfers. Nice thick mycelium unfortunately I didn’t take a pic, but I made 2 transfers on to new dishes to keep the strain going. This is a pic from a week ago

5 Likes

Big day big update

The jars posted above were ready to be birthed into a new tub. The I series looking GOOOOOD and the dishes i’ve put into the incubator to promote faster growth (the others are currently just in the SAB at normal room temp, the incubator is set to be between 24-29oC)

The next transfers for the I series

The next jars for bulk. All from the I series

Tub with jars I, III, V, VI, “n/a” spawned

From misc jars spawned on 06/06

The first and second tub currently on their second flush. I may dunk these, but seeing as I have 2 more tubs, and like 60g of mushrooms that would take me a decade to consume, I may just cut then bury in the nearby forest.

All the tubs now

It finally rained after about 6 weeks. I dont even remember. It rained a little bit last week but my waterbutt was dirty with the dust from the lack of rain so it was all thrown. Probably only had like 10L anyway so I cleaned it out and manage to refill 70L worth of containers.

Mother plants are looking good. All under 1 set of lights now at about 50% brightness. Feeding calmag, seasol, canna B currently.

The clones are currently looking a bit sad. Couple of them are wilting, but a good few of them are still upright. Will open for fresh air tomorrow

1 Day after cutting

2 Days after cutting

The cuttings from here. Most of them died, but a few of them I decided to keep around, they are holding themselves alright and as I was misting the outside of the jiffy pods as they were dry, I noticed A ROOT!

Incredibly happy. I hope I get much quicker and higher success from the recent cuttings that are in the rapid rooters.

And to top off my day, i’m having pizza :yum:

11 Likes

Girls are getting big. Need to take some more clones this week and do a major trim. Stems are quite flimsy though, might be because ive been running them under low light so have increased that. hopefully they dont stretch too much :v:

5 Likes

heh too many mushrooms huh? :rofl: I’d gladly take some off your hands but no way we can ship em across the pond so hopefully you have a lot of trustworthy friends near ya :rofl:

Very interesting reads though with the mushrooms, its like reading a scientific journal almost, I love it ^^

Plants are lookin great! Hopefully your clones turn around soon ^^ My two big girls also have pretty flimsy stems and it’s weird for me. The Godberry I just ran and the plants I grew years ago were all solid stems 100%, I couldn’t even squeeze them between my fingers really but these Russian Snow and Purple Mac stems are like fast-food straws, can super easily crush or bend them over and I don’t like it at all :rofl: And that’s WITH extra silica and plenty of light. Supposedly some breeders take the straw stems as a trait that means Potency, but to me personally… I think it’s just a bad trait. Who knows but its a thought.

4 Likes

I have a couple i’m trying to hand them off too, but yeah i’m scaling back on the production a bit, think im already going to have tons of supply to last :laughing:

I’m hoping!

I actually stopped using silica because i thought it was making my stems too thick and would make it harder to root, but maybe i need to reintroduce it :thinking:

Interestingly this plant has solid stems (based on the culled plant), just the offshoots cant really hold themselves up. Think it might be because theyre stretching for the light :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

Trimmed the ladies up. They are all looking so good, but I am planning on culling at least 2 of them so I can start off some seeds from the next pack. Im leaning on keeping A because I have 2 cuttings that have rooted from her, and either B or D. I like B because its a little shorter than the others, but D is a beast and must have a great root network because she is always thirsty

The I series jars are looking great. Couple more days then I will shake them

Third tub starting to pin, looking good

Last of the first 2 tubs looking like this. Real weird, almost like the myc has recolonised the sub, but the sub would be really dry so maybe its searching for moisture? Going to leave it to see what happens - I dont need any more fruit from this tub.

6 Likes

Clones!

7 Likes

2 days after shaking! really nice growth from the I series. May keep this line going as my sole genetics

This tub is still going strong haha! this will be the 3rd flush

3rd tub starting to grow nicely. Some odd-balls growing which is really strange. Not sure if nature or nurture

Took about 20 odd more cuttings today and put each plant into its own tray so I dont have random tags everywhere. The trays I bought are actually way too big for the rooters I have, so i’m having to use clothing pegs to keep them upright

One more culled. D was a good one, but A and C are looking better, and B is shorter - so keeping that one. Them stems tho!!

8 Likes

I use the brown half gallon mason jars for sun tea. I can taste the difference versus a clear jar

3 Likes

You got me really thinking hard about busting out this Burma Syringe I have been sitting on for a while now and trying my luck.

2 Likes

Go for it!

Biggen from the tub on its 3rd flush!

9 Likes

from

to in only 4 months! (not the same tub)

crazy progression

13 Likes

Clones are starting to take root. Moved the first rooted clone into flowering tent and put into a bigger pot. Trying my hand at a SOG with all the clones I take, so about a week or so in veg until roots are coming out of the pot then transplant and flower

First clone A looking very nice :ok_hand:

Mother plants looking FINE. As @seymourgreen suggested, I bumped up the silicon to 1.5ml/l and the stems are starting to harden up nicely. Trimmed plant A and C back (you can see in the pic) so it doesnt hit the lights. Hopefully all the clones currently propagating will root by next week and I can take more cuttings like from the stem in the picture. Perfect branch for cutting. I might end up investing in a water/pump cloner because currently im doing the cut at the lowest node before putting into rooting pods, but really, branches like this have a great area for roots that ive basically just been cutting off.

I found 3 more cuttings that have taken roots, so they are now vegging in pots

Got some nice spore prints from my latest harvest and now have enough prints to make a bunch of syringes

Hoping I can use these to give away or maybe even do an auction here. Need to figure out international shipping, though.

I Series jars are done. Looking very nice and fluffy

Smells just like mushrooms :ok_hand:

Into the tub it goes!

Bonus bug I found on my tree

11 Likes

Damn 7, bravo. Everything you do is proper.

4 Likes

Thanks! I havent always been like this haha usually I spend an hour a day max tending to my plants after work but during this covid stuff and working from home for the past 4 months i’ve had tons of time to work on a load of stuff including learning how to cultivate mushrooms, do weed clones, work on my app, practice playing keyboard :grimacing:

4 Likes