7's Workshop of Weed

Progress on the hunt

First set of clones are looking decent. I have 4 in bigger pots with full strength feeding @ 1.8EC. The ages are all staggered but the first and second ones to root I think will make it to bud

Noticed the leaves were curling inwards. Read up could be due to wind burn which would make sense because there’s a fan right next to it. Turned that off for now.

Number 2, 3, and 4

The rest of them. Couple of them I think will make it through, a load not so much. There’s more clones now than in this pic as I transfered some more from the propagators when I prepped for “The Second Cloning”

The second cloning

I much prefer to try something first, learn all the mistakes, then go for real in the second attempt because it makes it easier to be successful on the second go than try and spend all my time making the first one (which for me always fails anyway) succeed.

So I learned that the trays I was using were just too big. Clones were falling and it was very unstable. I solved this temporarily by lodging clothes pegs in between the rooter and the walls.

The also learned roughly which clones were more successful. I found that the thick tops from the main stem took a long time to root, if they did, if not, the cutting basically just rotted. The smaller ones with tiny nodes died too quickly. Seemed like they just lacked the strength to make it through.

I learned that you need to ease clones - even after they’ve rooted - in to full strength light. I made that mistake with the smaller ones pictured, the leaves burn much quicker.

In this new cloning attempt, I revamped the bays, bought some paper trays that fit the plugs nicer, and I ditched the tubs I were using to the same tubs I use for my mushrooms, and it fits p e r f e c t l y.

I put polyethene lining down just to stop dripping water from soaking into the boards.

2x 12 cell trays under each one, with enough headroom for large clones. Perfect!

Post trim plant A. Out of the ones left (A/B/C), B is looking like the winner. Very nimble grower, great looking cutting sites. I took 24 clones from B, and 12 from both A and C

Perfect! There are tiny gaps under the rim of the tubs because the handles are slightly elevated, but they seem to be holding their humidity fine. If not, I will just put the lids on.

Bug fix for the Epic

I finally got around to fixing the dimmer for the Epic 4.0. So bumped that to 4.0.1

Now I am able to dim both lights in my main tent to try keep the mothers small.

7 Likes

Yeah I used the para film for the dishes, they colonised fast so I cut it up and put it into jars and the contamination happened in the jars.

1 Like

ahh gotcha :ok_hand:

7 Likes

Starting to have second thoughts about this cloning experiment. My original goal was to make a sog and rotate clones from the mothers and put them straight to flower, but I’m running into so many issues that im not so sure its worth the effort. I’ll totally see this grow through though, but I’m half tempted to make these recent clones my last and just flower the current mothers (although i’d have to chop them WAAAY back else i wont fit them in the tent especially if they will double in size!)

I feel like I need to either go all out and do water pump cloning in a bigger system, or nothing at all. I took 48 clones and I already had to throw 2 that were just dead, but the others are wilting pretty hard. hopefully they bounce back.

2 Likes

So another change in plans. I’m seeing the experiment out of growing a mother for clones by selecting the B plant to be the mother and have moved her into the spare box tent I have, under the 300w blurple mars hydro.

The other 2 plants I hate to see go to waste, and I want some bud so I chopped them back pretty far and flipped them to flower. Plan on setting up a string scrog net so I can try and keep them from outgrowing the tent.

before

after

Plant B in the solo tent

Crazy roots! this is why (on top of nice node structure) I chose this plant

Leaf fell into my nute mix as I was trimming :open_mouth:

7 Likes

I series is proving to not be a great fruiter… very uneven canopy and some strange growth. Shame because this was one of the stronger growers and I have 4 jars half inoculated with more I series.

But I have also now inoculated jars with the III series, which was the second pick for testing

Threw a net on these girls to make sure they dont get too big. The stems are ROCK solid. I tried supercropping a few but i legitimately couldnt bend the branch without risking it just snapping clean off.

7 Likes

Your originality is so impressive! Thanks for sharing it with us.

1 Like

Been a busy week maintaining all my grows. Started off making some bubble hash from the trim of the last grow

Didn’t get a massive amount, but still pretty decent and is now drying. Does bubble hash ever dry enough to be like kief? i’ve never managed to get it that dry before.

Setting up rotation for my clones. Bottom shelf = new clones and top shelf are for rooted clones preparing to go under full light. Found that the top shelf was drying out the sponges really quick because of the heat from the lights under and figured it would be best to use that heat for rooted clones to adjust them before going to full light instead

Clones moved back to the bridgelux tent now I have a new timer for it

The main tent. Has 2 clones bottom left and right that I couldn’t move because they’ve stretched wayyy to much - almost the same height as the other plants!

Mother plant going strong. Planning on taking some more clones this week.

Got round to weighing all my mushrooms… 9 ounces!!! I’m struggling to get rid of them :joy:

12 Likes

Those mush look nice! my jars have a layer of coco and oats on the bottom. Send them to someone in need!

I forgot if you had a Martha setup or just wire rack but I was thinking of building one with strip leds. I’d also like to use it for clones also due to the high humidity environment.

Question is are the strips to powerful for the mushrooms and would having clones with the mush make for more contaminants on my subs?

Thanks

1 Like

hmm its a good question. From what I understand, mushrooms don’t need much light, the LED im using is just a smart LED bulb I got off a friend, so probably like 20w, and i’m using 2x 18w tube LEDs for my clones, so I reckon it’d work.

I dont have a typical ‘martha’ set up where I leave the lids off because my small tent doesnt hold the humidity so I keep the lids on my box. I dont think you’d get contam issues, if you keep the tubs covered while they colonise the coco, they become pretty contam resistant, then thats when you put into fruiting conditions by removing the lid and allowing for FAE.

I check the boxes every day by taking them out of the tent and opening the lid also and have yet to experience a contam.

I originally tried LED strips, but they were such a pain to set up, cut, put together using angle joiners, that I just gave up on them all together and just use this one light clipped above the tent.

This is my setup #172

3 Likes

With it just sitting in a pile in a dry area no but it you lay it out into a bigger area quite thin and break it and mix it everyday or more you can get your bubble very dry and powdered like kief. When you are making larger amounts or can justify it, I have used freeze drying and vacuum purging of moisture both with very good results. Moisture is no bueno for storage and also diluting your extraction when it is present. Hope this help 7, everything is looking good!

2 Likes

I’ve been around less and less the last few weeks, a lot of stuff has been piling up and got a bit hectic.

Been working on the cloning which is starting to go well now I think i’ve nailed the process and got it into a nice cycle.

The mother plant still going strong. Waiting on some plastic plug trays to take new clones. The biodegradable ones im using are great, but they start to biodegrade and grow mold, plus they absorb the moisture out of the plugs. Been very hard finding trays that fit these sponges and under my tubs so may have to just cut one to size.

The cloning bay with direction arrow. Clones start bottom right then get promoted to the bottom left. Clones from the bottom left are promoted to top left when they start to root. Then from there they move along based on new growth of fan leaves and roots. Then from there they get upgrade to the sog tent

An intruder! I decided to use straight coco for the first transfer from the plug because my coco+perlite has been used so many times before I dont want to risk any previous salts and roots from interfering with growth.

The sog tent. The left 4 were some of the earlier clones that have ended up stretching a little too much (they started in the big tent which is why I have 2 in the big tent - they got too big for the sog tent :laughing:). They are all clones of A and C (the two mothers that i’m now flowering).

All of the right 8 are cuttings from B and a couple from C. Perfect sizes :ok_hand:

The main tent. I think they have stopped stretching :crossed_fingers: I had to keep tucking and supercropping to keep them from stretching too much

My very first clone that rooted. Starting to bud very nicely

11 Likes

Excellent work as always 7! I hope things slow to a manageable roll here in the coming times ahead so that we can all continue to share this journey with you. Super stoked that your cloning program is feeling more established. Keep up the good work :man_farmer:

2 Likes

Hey 7 figured id shoot you an update as im harvesting the some shrooms today, i bulked out half the grain with coco and half the grain with vermiculite. The coco is running way slower than the vermiculite seeing as the coco is pinning and the vermiculite is being harvested! I got a ton of pins overall though so im well impressed with these but some do look a little fucked up with non rounded stems and double stems to a cap or just plain old deformed… Anyway! Haha im looking foreward to a nibble then a bbq later today to see what they’re like. I need a bigger and deeper tub because im certain the proportions of the cake helps with consistency and size but im still learning. looking like im going to pull ozs per flush anyway so who cares hahaha anyway hope you are good.

2 Likes

Awesome! Hope you got enough for a decent trip. MSS always seem to produce less than ideal canopy’s due to the nature of the competing genetics.

How did you prepare your bulk? When I do mine, I mix 650g of coco with 4L of boiling water, and add 2L of vermiculite in and mix it all together. Then I mix in a 1:1 of spawn to sub and that works well, no idea about straight coco or straight verm but glad it still worked out for you. I still reminisce about my first tiny ass shrooms :laughing:

2 Likes

I stuck both in the oven at 180 with my dinner then rehydrated with plain phed water that i have for my plants.i then mixed 1-1 volume aswell spawn to substrate. If its anywhere near as strong as the gt’s i have more than enough for several trips to the moon and back im sure. If i remember an am capable ill let you know tonight if i grew wings.

10 Likes

nice!! If you havent used them already, definitely take one of the biggens and cut a small piece out from the middle of the stem and put onto the agar. Then from there you can isolate and you’ll get bigger fruits and more even canopy.

I’ve recently poured about 40 LME dishes that I intend to sell, maybe.

3 Likes

Nice,I got to get on that but I’m dealing with work and plants as my box is about to overflow, I’m feeling those shrooms for sure mate … I’m off to see the wizard about some dinner

2 Likes

Discovered half of the diodes on my super old mars hydro 300w light I was using to veg my mother plant had died, and I began thinking about my long term plan and decided that I have enough clones for now to fill my bridgelux tent, and I have the 2 biggens flowering in my main tent, so that’ll do for now. I cant really fit any more clones, and I still have 5 or so propagating!

I have achieved sog

Insert joke about ‘how did i do with trimming guys?’

Huge stump. My husky loves eating the stalks

Flowers starting to look nice in the main tent. Very nice early smell - not quite lemony but still sweet/fruity.

14 Likes