80's Story of Nevil's The Seed Bank

People can take it for what it is but those are the facts and I think he would of liked people to know the truth, I’ve read alot of speculation on the matter of how he got busted. I’m sure it wasent hard to figure out who he was and what he was doing with high times explaining who he was with pictures and all but nevil was an advocate and spokes person for marijauna as medicine. What got charges filed was the seed sales and people who handed the evidence over on a silver Platter. Just because somebody is taking risks dosent make it ok to intentionally deceive and cause harm to them to save your self. Anyways just my rant for the day , I have alot of respect for the people who spoke up about the medicinal values of this plant back when it was alot more taboo to do so. That document put alot more people in harm’s way then just nevil. Everybody wanted his help and genetics but they wanted money more then they cared about him. He passed away a very successful man in my opinion but never profited of seeds in the way that so many did who got there lines from him. He was forced into the shadows while they all became the so called kings of cannabis.

RIP to a good man
May his genetics live on in the hands if those he left them with.

6 Likes

I am so glad to see this post.

Let the truth be known to all!

Please check out what I wrote after he passed:

https://growmag.com/growmag_feature/legacy-of-a-legend/

Please see the Indictment and Affidavit of the snitch Anthony Ray Cogo:

1994 Affidavit of Anthony Ray Cogo Nevil Snitch.pdf (2.3 MB)

1990 Affidavit of Prosecutor.pdf (589.6 KB)

1994 Affidavit of Prosecutor.pdf (410.7 KB)

Please keep in mind that after Cogo (read the affidavit): page 6, paragraph 11, and I quote Cogo: “Attachment 6 consist of true and accurate copies of a representative sample of the hundreds of lists I received from The Seed Bank… Although (Nevil) Schoenmakers told me to destroy these lists, I kept them as a record of my activities in support of his operation.”

Cogo turned the addresses of the seed sales over in June of 1989, then five months later this happened:

FYI:

During a two-week period beginning on October 26, 1989, the DEA raided gardening centers and private homes in 46 states. The results of that first phase of Green Merchant – released on November 9, 1989 – were:

o 377 arrests of private citizens for marijuana cultivation;

o 42,677 marijuana plants seized (the Justice Department counts unsprouted seeds in soil as marijuana plants);

o 875 pounds of packaged marijuana seized;

o 5 pounds of mushrooms seized;

o 280 indoor grow-sites seized;

o 19 stores and warehouses seized;

o 11 store owners arrested (8 store owners had their businesses seized without being charged of any criminal activity);

o $7,318,000 in total assets seized.

o 19 stores closed down: 7 stores forfeited, 11 currently under forfeiture litigation, 1 store no explanation;

o 16 store owners arrested;

o $9,208,928 in total assets seized.

(No new statistics on either quantities of packaged marijuana or other illegal substances seized.)

The Operation was far from over. During the past 18 months the DEA has continued its Green Merchant investigations. The most recent figures – released by the Justice Department on February 1, 1991 – are:

o 443 arrests of private citizens for marijuana cultivation;

o 50,794 marijuana plants seized (including unsprouted seeds in soil);

13 Likes

I also found these photos posted by Cogo:

This is the snitch Cogo back sometime in 1986 - 1989

13 Likes

I am reposting after revisiting the above link; they indicate his obit has expired & so it feels appropriate to offer some permanence here on OG:

I lost my mom a week ago, so I apologize if this is off-base/inappropriate. Fresh wounds.

:evergreen_tree:

16 Likes

It’s good to kown history and as they saying goes ----------- “History re-peats it’s self”

1 Like

He was the man…I remember sending him cash and he did send me my NL seeds back in the day…he took his knowledge from parrot breeding and put it to good use breeding pot strains…

3 Likes

Thank you everyone for all the Info! Appreciate you taking the time

It’s important another fact is missing from the puzzle: California orange was made by Jerry beisler. Certainly dam brought it to Holland but had nothing to do with sacred seeds or cultivators choice.

Jerry made California’s most famous strain, possibly the inevitable sam used in his skunk #1 project

med-man

4 Likes

I began growing a few years before Neville started selling seeds. I live in a very rural area and all of us “pot farmers” had our own “found seeds” that we grew. We had heard rumers about a guy in Amsterdam that was selling seeds through the mail. We would laugh and say “ That sumbitch is going to prison.” And he did. He was a pioneer and we all owe him more than we can ever pay. However, he was just a man with all the human flaws. I think that makes him more likeable. RIP :innocent:

7 Likes