8k_feet's trying to ride the lightning - Ace Malawi x Panama

Day 51 (Day 2 Flower)

Light: 28k on 18/6
Feeding schedule: hand fed a cup to each
Nutes: 1.6 ec
Humidity: 25 (left exhaust fan on doh)
Temp: 64 lights off, 90 lights on

Finally flipped these guys to flower 2 days ago.

Pots were about 1/4 weight on moisture but everyone is showing nutrient deficiencies, so I hit them with a hand feeding @ 1.6EC.

Roots are already spread out of the bottom of the pots so I think they’ll start getting thirstier soon as they gain more size.

HG4

OG18

PTK

4 Likes

I wonder if they are getting too dry between feedings? I wonder because i never let my coco dry out, since it’s functionally a hydro medium. I’ll let them get “light”, but to me that just means that they’ve used enough of what I gave them last time that they can now take a bit more with only minimal runoff.

5 Likes

Thanks for the feedback, I can use any ideas I can get because I’m so confused as to what’s going on.

The only true variable throughout the grow has been huge RH swings, but overall fairly stable on that also.

I’ve already LITFA’d the everloving doo doo out of the plants so I’m going to take action and up their feeds both on frequency and EC. I think I’m going to go to an after lights on, before lights off 10s feed that’ll just fill the cap and stop for a good soak!

5 Likes

I feel ya. My RH is lately fluctuating between 30% and 51% and I’ve seen it get under 20% fairly often, which is not exactly ideal. It’s an ongoing issue that I am fairly well convinced has contributed to my plants not looking as healthy on average as what I was used to before I moved here. And I can throw a plant on the back deck (until I get too nervous, anyways) and it’s as healthy as can be. Unfortunately, it’s not something I have much control over, so I just plug along.

4 Likes

Day 53 (Day 4 Flower)

Light: 28k on 18/6
Feeding schedule: hand fed a cup to each
Humidity: 65

Everyone’s looking a lot better, despite the crazy red stems. They perked up a lot so they might be swinging into the black, or so I hope.

Sex it up

I’m not sure what their sexes are but welcome guesses. I’m labeling them with what I think they are, probably wrong.

HG4 #1 - Female

HG4 #2 - Female

PTK #1 - Male?

PTK #2 - Male? Too early to tell?

OG18 #1 - Female

OG18 #2 - Female?

7 Likes

Plants are already looking a lot better with just morning feedings, I’ve been so busy I haven’t been able to setup my power box yet to run them 2x a day.

I set my pump dispersion head to “wide open” - it has gph limiters you can place in, but I wanted to go for a full cap fill and found my pump going to just 6 feed lines is too low of a flow rate.

I remedied that by ordering a 930GPH 92W pump (3x current pump output!).

I also picked up a Sonoff TH16 that I’m going to hack ESP-Easy onto to fully automate my humidifier’s output. Should make a huge difference in PH swings.

I will be able to use Node Red from the rasp-pi power box to ping the sonoff, ask about humidity, and tell it to turn on the humidifier. Super cool.

I’ll catch some more pics of the plants later.

6 Likes

Day 55 (Day 6 Flower)

Light: 32k on 12/12
Feeding schedule: pump fed lights on lights off

Pretty much every plant except one hg4 has turned the corner. They look pretty stoked now!

HG4 with major sativa expressions, one still nutes deficient, just a strain thing I think at this point.

OG18

PTK still squat but putting on mass.

10 Likes

Nice. They’re coming back up. Looks like the responded really well to that feed!

5 Likes

Day 58 (Day 9 Flower)

Light: 32k on 12/12
Feeding schedule: 2x @ lights on lights off

Everyone is blowing up. Whatever deficiencies they had they seem to be in the past for now.

Only bummer is there are balls everywhere! 4/6 plants male yikes! Worst odds I’ve had yet. Only male I want to keep I think is a ptk. Both og18 are male, one hg4, and one ptk.

Thankfully @lefthandseeds needs to offload a bunch of afghani females to make space so it looks like I’ll start helping with that project now!

10 Likes

That’s a long af way of doing something the th16 will do with ewelink anyway without the need for a raspberry pi? I’ve used a sonoff 4ch pro r2 in conjunction with a th16 to control both heat and humidity and works a treat. I’m guessing you want nothing to do with cloud based software and the Chinese lol.

Red stems are usually from cold feeding IME do you warm your res at all mate?

1 Like

Spot on, isn’t hard for me to hack together, more control and features, and I know what’s happening with my data! :+1:

3 Likes

Day 62 (Day 13 Flower)

Light: 36k on 12/12

Six plants enter, two plants leave!

I threw 3 of the males in the compost pile, and kept the PTK male because it looks great, along with its sister PTK. I’ll cross it with its sister plant on a couple branches to stock up on PTK seeds!

They have good looking root structures for being so young in flower.

Balls galore! I moved the PTK male to the veg tent.

Veg LED setup. Atreum QB144 boards.

The remaining females, PTK on the left and HG4 on the right with crazy top growth. The HG4 has almost recovered completely from deficiency (as witnessed by the huge top fans)

9 Likes

Nice turnaround! Love that root shot, too :grin:

4 Likes

Looks good, awesome roots! Too bad about so many males, I’m curious why you put the one back into your veg room?

Also it’s crazy how many males people get nowadays, years ago it was pretty much always 60% or more female, which makes sense from a reproductive standpoint.

2 Likes

My veg tent is sealed well enough with no airflow and enough light to let the male pop. I’m going to do a pollen collection on it and smash some branches of the female PTK I have with pollen to get more seeds off it.

I’m pretty confident the PTKs are great because they’re exactly alike, a super consistent line so I think it’s valid to propagate it and grow it out again - I wouldn’t usually make this jump without smoke testing first but they’re just so good looking I can’t resist making some more seeds.

I’ll probably get enough to give some away here as well.

5 Likes

Oh nice, I thought you meant an active 24/7 veg room. I’d love to have some kind of little chamber or something to safely mess with pollen.

Consistency like that is usually a sign of a good breeder!

1 Like

The tent just got crowded.

I took some red headed stepchild plants off @lefthandseeds and am now the caretaker of:

1x blue hemp Lebanese
1x black afghani
2x LA confidential

10 Likes

Sick cunt plants m8! My tent thanks you for taking them.

2 Likes

Day 67 (Day 18 Flower)

Light: 40-50k (based on plant height) on 12/12
Nutes: 2.0 ec
Humidity: 80%

This tent has turned into a total jungle. I’m alright with that. It’s obviously overcrowded, but everything seems to be getting enough light.

I hooked up a new 90w pump, biggest one I could find on the market before crossing the multiple c-notes territory.

I got everything rigged on my RPi power box, so this grow is officially set it and forget it now. I just have to keep an eye on plant condition and res PH/EC but other than that I can leave them for days now to do their thing.

I don’t know what the outcome of switching the adopted plants from @lefthandseeds mad scientist nute mix back to plain jane Peter’s 3/2/1 but we shall see.

The Black Afghani (left) and Blue Hemp Lebanese (right) are both just dominating the tent right now with their abundant leaf surface area. We actually pollinated a few branches when I picked them up with Bodhi’s Cherry Queen and a blue hemp male, so crosses are going to pop on those growth sites!

Some of the flowers on the Black Afghan and BHL

LA Confidentials living in the shadow of the monster afghanis.

My original females - HG4 on the right has doubled in height in the last week. PTK on the left is still so squatty but its stem width is greater than any of the other plants, crazy.

4 Likes

Day 70 (Day 21 Flower)

Light: 40-60k (based on plant height) on 12/12
Nutes: 2.0 ec
Humidity: 70%
Temp: 64 lights off, 85 lights on

We are truly in full flower development now, everyone seems to be done stretching. They all look really happy, which is good because I was too busy to even check my res PH.

LA Confidential #1

LA Confidential #2

Blue Hemp Lebanese

Black Lebanese

PTK

HG4 - yet to pop flowers but stretched ~12" in 2 days!

9 Likes