'95 Black Domina bx AKBB

Ran her outdoors last season at 42N. Popped 5-6 seeds and only got one female to check out. I did run the males and am storing the pollen in a freezer. Also pollinated a branch and got about 50 seeds. Very stretchy columnar side branching with a nice sized main cola. She started flowering quick, but really seemed to take her time to finally start stacking. Resin production was really only towards the end of flowering, but production was good. Handled the wind and rain well. Buds are very long, medium dense, and with no rot. Harvested at the end of Oct. which is really pushing it for me. I really got lucky and had a warm dry fall. Interesting terps that smells like plastic and playdoh with some fruit.

Has anyone else ran Black Domina, and if so what were your experiences? Curious to get others perspective on the Black Domina. I know akbb is using the same '95 b. dom. cut that crickets and cicadas seems to use. I have heard there is some controversy with authenticity of the year of the cut…doesn’t bother me much, just would like to know when it was officially released. Has anyone ran the sohum black dom from akbb? Is Sensi’s Black Domina worth checking out? Are there other reputable Black Domina sources out there?

58 Likes

It’s what I grew back in the day but never grew it outside…Sensi Black Domina is definitely worth it.

8 Likes

I grew AKBB’s GG4 x Black Domina a while back indoors. The seeds were freebies from an order I placed with JBC. Pretty sure he used the '95 in that cross. I grew it a few times but lost the mom when I got broad mites and trashed everything. It stayed relatively compact, had a lovely fade near harvest, yielded well, and I really enjoyed the narcotic, couch lock effects.

15 Likes

I’m curious about this question too, because I have had a good experience growing Icy Grape from Copa Genetics, which is Purple Skittles (SMMJ cut) x 1996 Black Domina #1-4:

“The dad(s) I selected from an original 1996 Sensi Seeds pack. I open-pollinated back in 1998 and again in 2008-9. All 4 of them lean to the Afghani side of things with stem rubs ranging from dank and musty to sweaty locker room funk/skunk. All 4 will bring extremely tight/dense buds, two of the dads have dark green coloring and tight node spacing. The other two dads bring ultra-tight node spacing and an almost blue-black leathery leaf structure.”

Sensi also refers to 1996 as the first year for Black Domina:

But here’s a 1995 catalog scan:

Regardless, I love the BD and it’s a legend for a reason I’m sure AKBB has a great representation. Copa has a few seeds on the market and as freebies using that Dad combo and I doubt it’s the last we’ll see of it. I have three of those in veg now and have been able to figure out that my first IG was Skittles dominant, but I have BD leaner this time I’m hoping is female:

15 Likes

Been so interested in the icy grape, you got any photos of the plants?

3 Likes

Very healthy plant.

2 Likes

Hell yeah dude here’s the one I grew so far, super duper dank modern grape with old school hashy thickness, smoke is a choker to the ash:

3 Likes

Awesome! Plants looked great!

3 Likes

Wow!! Cool to see all the interest in Black Domina!

Thanks for sharing the GG4 x Black Domina experience @BarefootAndBlazed. Sorry to hear you lost the mother.

@Dirt_Wizard thanks for the Icy Grape and Black Domina info and confirmation on the year of release.

Would love to hear peoples experience with the original Black Domina. What are you favorite phenos? Anybody have experience with the Sohum cut? Are there any other Black Domina cuts floating around other than these 2?

6 Likes

Thanks for starting this topic, @Radicle_Reefer it’s one I’ve considered in the past because I’m also very curious about these old building block indicas. I just got some of the newly released Ortega preservation from Fleur Du Mal based on my experiences with BD in smoking over the years and now this IG experience. I’m interested in all four of the parents in BD out of curiosity but I imagine it’s a better grower and smoker than any single one of them. I’m gonna find out with the Ortega and someday I’ll find the straight up Nineties Black Domina. I think it’s exactly the sort of dank heavy but worked old indica I love, and that probably really pops in crosses with newer terpy things. Very old indicas x 90s/2000s commercial lines are very interesting crosses to me.

I haven’t grown out the other BD crosses I have from Copa yet (Crazy Bitch or Zip Tape) but I am hoping for the same sort of richness added to the “high” or volatile sharp terps. There’s a guy who goes by KeystoneKops on Coco For Cannabis that’s gonna get me to join that site just to talk to him, he’s taken Icy Grape to F4 and is working on F5 or just finished.

For OG members who could speak on the Black Domina, I can think of @lefthandseeds @Comacus and @PhilCuisine who have done some breeding with it, and I think @LonelyOC was growing some recently, not sure where it was from but it was a BX something not the current Dutch stuff like SAD.

6 Likes

i randomly just stumbled upon this thread, love the color. seems like she would be easy to trim. is there a legit source for old school bd still available? i ran a freebie bd seed from blimburm. it was supposed to be a heavy indica but grew bushy like a sativa and never purpled up. i like your version of black domina way more

7 Likes

This is Sugar Black Rose (Critical Mass x Black Domina) from Delicious Seeds. Not nearly as pretty as yours! Got it as a single seed freeby back in 2018. Super sweet smell with a hint of spice. The sweetness comes thru in the smoke too, which is very smooth. I was not expecting it to be good, but I was pleasantly surprised. I would probably not grow it again, but I would be interested in trying other Black Domina crosses.

17 Likes

I grew sensis black domina outside and it was real good…

3 Likes

I still have half an original breeder pack I am going to pop next year outdoor season. Here are some of the males used to pollinate a branch of the plant first pictured. Sorry, not the best photos.

Male #1

Male #2

Male#3

11 Likes

Yes, I got a Black Domina La Barraquera cut BX1.
IMG_20221222_204555
Got a couple of more weeks to go, and she doesn’t like to be contained tight at all! But I look forward to smoke this one.

Pz :v:t2:

8 Likes

@Radicle_Reefer Man we have similar tastes. I bought a pack of AKBB Black Domina BX directly from him and here’s what he had to say when I asked about them:

On Fri, Apr 9, 2021 at 9:16 PM WVMountainGhost wrote:

Did you do your Black Domina BX with another BD? Some forum posts say possibly Mr. Bob Hemphill’s BD, so I figured I would just ask you.

“The so hum blkdom came from mr Bob and the 95 is his black muddy waters line bred then bx’d
I used my favorite male to make a so hum blkdom bx now it’s available it’s very so hum dom.”

10 Likes

Have you thought about doing a seed run?

5 Likes

Could be fun! I think I need to gain a higher membership status until I can do one? Should be there before the next outdoor season.

2 Likes

When did it finish for you and what Lat are you?

1 Like

I’m 40 degrees north. It finished right around Oct 1st if I remember correctly

2 Likes