99's Fling in the Tin Foil Forest

you may go check

if you see this =bad!

7 Likes

Yeh, I’ve got images like this burned into my retinas.

Well, I know for sure at least 2 of my 4 keepers are females because one is from fem seed and one had actual hairs/pistils showing. The other two just had much more elongated private parts. Didn’t look like the “balls” I found on the other ones.

Will double-check after work.

4 Likes

If your prone to bouts of stamenoia i recommend @ReikoX LITFA.

It is surprisingly effective for all manner of nanner related anxiety :grin:

3 Likes

Ironic.

It was via @ReikoX advice that I ventured to trigger the pre-flowers and determine sex in the first place. :smiley:

I’m pretty sure I got it right, but the balls above have me second-guessing myself.

4 Likes

I always used to give them 3 nights at 12hrs then back to 18 for another couple of weeks or so. The male flowers don’t usually open until there is a clump like a wee bunch of grapes so i never panic. These days i’m mostly growing fem regs cos of lack of space. Also i’ve killed hundreds of healthy male plants over the years and i hate the waste it causes :upside_down:

4 Likes

The Improved Spray goes a little like this.

(8-10 drops) each oil (Neem @70% solution, Pure Lemon (Peel) Oil, Rosemary Oil, Clove Stem Oil)

3 drops of Organic Dish Soap

32 Fluid Ouces of Water (best if distilled)

Put it all together and mix it all up.

These oils will damage the leaves, especially under lighting. Spray after lights out with fans on high. Spray anything that is green, especially under leaves and spray the soil surface and entire container top and bottom (works in the bath tub). 4-5 days later spray with 3.5% H2O2. If you have bugs, repeat until you don’t. If you don’t have bugs, repeat every 2 weeks, and you shouldn’t.

These essential oils are not cheap, but if you consider I purchased the 8 oz jar of Rosemary Oil 4 years ago, it works out over time.

So, Neem oil is great. It disrupts bugs in many ways including their ability to reproduce. It does so many things. Read up.

The others may be a little less common. I recently came to understand that most insects have a waxy surface on their exoskeleton. Lemon oil dissolves that leaving insects open to dehydration and other issues. Rosemary oil kills insect eggs, and is somewhat unique in this quality. Clove Stem Oil is not the same as clove oil and does not come from the same plant. Clove Oil smells great, so bugs probably don’t much like it, but Clove Stem Oil is a strong repellent, especially for fungus gnats and is used in many “organic” insect repellent remedies.

By the way, I never spray after flowers have formed. From then on, the plant is what it is.

This product is prettied up Rosemary and Clove Stem Oil and also a good solution to your bug problems. Check out other SNS products too. Lots of organic approaches. They are pretty good.

11 Likes

This is what is left of the Cheri Almondine project after the Spider Mites have been cleaned away.

I gave it up for lost, but threw the last, badly infested cutting, into the green house and started blasting it with neem oil and rosemary oil We had two nights right around freezing, and lots of rain. Both things that spider mites don’t like. The shortened light hours kicked the cutting into gear, or maybe just getting the bugs off of it, who knows.

Cleaned her up and we’ll see if we can get some roots. If I could get this one back I would be amazed. The flavor is worth the effort.

I have since trimmed the dead stuff off and re-potted.

Now, maximum LITFA

13 Likes

The little engine that could.

5 Likes

The Grandaddy Purple x Orange Hill Specials are still holding out, so I took cuts from all and cleaned them up as though they are all females. See what they do next.

The Agent 99’s have been topped and flipped. I’ll re-pot the females and select the best male for the back cross project.

Have a great weekend!

12 Likes

First She was just the Mutant Grandaddy Purple. Then the Borg got her.

Now she is 7 of 9 and back in the hands of the Federation.

and she wants to vote too.

10 Likes

Didnt she also root out of a mushy cutting too? Sounds like a fighter to me.

4 Likes

Yes she did, and @Morgwar took pics, so it happened.

4 Likes

Thanks for the formulation. So, for the dish soap in your improved spray, are you using that as a surfactant or is there another reason? Thanks.

3 Likes

An emulsifier. Keeps the oils separated in solution.

3 Likes

Ok, that’s what I had figured, thanks. I may end-up experimenting a bit with this, might be able to utilize an emulsifier/surfactant other than a dish detergent.

I like your formulation ideas. Till now and being lazy, I’ve just been buying the pre-made / concentrates but, like the premixed nutrients, they are significantly over-priced for what’s actually in the bottle.

2 Likes

You may experiment with different Lecithin products for a surfactant / emulsifier. I know soy lecithin does this.

3 Likes

13 out of 15

Not bad. I lost one Northern Lights #5 and 1 Cherry Tart. Still too many :smile:

9 Likes

Dish soap is no bueno. You want a potassium hydroxide soap instead of a dish detergent or sodium hydroxide soap.
Something like a murphys oil soap, or a real castile soap.

5 Likes

Not a chemist, but figured I was on safe ground.

What do you think? This never touches a plant with buds on it by the way.

2 Likes

That’s what you wash your dishes with!? :joy: I just use palmolive. :sweat_smile:

What brand is that? It’s probably even better for eczema than palmolive.

3 Likes