A Breeder Steve Thread

Basically a sfv back cross

2 Likes

Yes, I posted those just above and posted that out of stock Love Candy to provide parental information on the seeds you bought.

1 Like

Seems Breeder Steve is launching or involved with the launch of a new seedbank. Stars and Stripes Seed Co. (SSSC). Seems He will be launching several companies and continuing the Spice of Life Seeds company. Nothing is up on the site currently for SOL, but there are lisitngs elsewhere. Who knows, maybe we will be buying new blockhead bx’s soon.

https://www.instagram.com/starsandstripesseed
https://www.starsandstripesseed.com/
https://twitter.com/StarStripesSeed

6 Likes

interesting… I was under the impression he was aiming to get into the Canadian licensed producer market but with a move like this … that’s obviously out of the cards for him.
Will see how this develops.
thx for posting this @jessethestoner :+1:

4 Likes

Interesting how he’d use a name with the same ‘sssc’ acronym. Super sativa seed club, the real sssc, has been around for almost a half century. Definitely gonna keep an eye out tho. Appreciate the heads up.

3 Likes

Steve on the Future Cannabis Project vlog last year talking about his venture named Verosince, can’t find anything on the web about it yet.

Breeder Steve putting in work

Future Cannabis Project

403 Likes

May 26, 2023

“Sterile” females? Talking parthenocarpy with one of the G.O.A.T.s. Get your notepad ready and be ready to learn something. apomixis is asexual reproduction without fertilization. parthenocarpy is the development of a fruit without prior fertilization. There are two kinds of parthenocarpy, namely, obligate and facultative parthenocarpy. The difference is that the former always produces seedless fruits, whereas the latter results in seedless fruits only when pollination is prevented, like when males are removed.

Transcript courtesy @mufafa and his transcription project:

4 Likes

It’s actually ‘TrueSinse’ on his site:

but VeroSinse has a twitter ^^
https://twitter.com/VeroSinse

4 Likes

Steve is talking about it a bit in the video posted by @amumayuk . Seems to be a procedure to apply to clones. I’m guessing chemical and/org hormonal reaction that prevent pistil formation. The recipe will probably leak eventually. Quite interesting for commercial crops of elite bagseed genetics :smiley:

3 Likes

And we thought we seen genetic bottlenecking before wow. Set up with the lp’s in Canada I can only see that going one way

1 Like

He’s got a rather extensive NDA agreement so would take a company breaking that to get it out. I thought he was doing it on clones but it also sounds like he takes the clones and makes a seedline to do the process, idk either way for sure :confused:

1 Like

Don’t know much either, can only make hypothesis. But he states that you don’t have to hand him anything, he’ll just teach how to perform the process. So that put a bit of weight on the treatment hypothesis.

He said also he had the idea when he stumbled once again on a phenotype without pistils. It seems to happen from time to time and other growers are said to have observed that too. From the interview he seems to think other people will follow the same logical path than him and eventually figure out the recipe by themselves.

1 Like

Well if it works on clone-only’s then it is most definitely some type of hormonal or chemical treatment. That exists already for other plant species. Sadly can’t find the full text of this article talking about it :confused:
https://www.nature.com/articles/170038a0

1 Like

Thanks @HolyAngel for the link. Trying to find a full version of that 1952 article, I found this one from last year: Frontiers | Current insights and advances into plant male sterility: new precision breeding technology based on genome editing applications

1 Like

Yeah, as he describes it it’s like really simple idea, just have to put things together. Which one, that’s the question.

1 Like

Seedless water melons are made by creating a plant with an odd number of chromosomes like a triploid.
Not sure if it works the same way or if he came up with a chemical to somehow add an extra chromosome to the plant.

Here’s a clip of an article I seen about the water melons.

“Normal watermelons are “diploid”, which means they have two copies of each of their chromosomes in each cell (22 chromosomes in all).The cholchicine treatment creates a “tetraploid” watermelon with four copies of each chromosome (44 in each cell). Both diploid and tetraploid watermelons are reproductively stable, so you can propagate them separately and maintain them as true varieties.

Now comes the trick. When a tetraploid (4 chromosome) watermelon flower is pollinated with pollen from an ordinary diploid (2 chromosome) watermelon, the resulting seed will be a “triploid” plant with 3 chromosomes in each cell. Plants with odd numbers of chromosomes are sterile because the chromosomes have to match up in pairs during reproduction. That means triploid plants cannot make pollen or seeds.

So the pollinated tetraploid flower will grow into a watermelon with ordinary looking seeds, and each seed will contain a living baby plant that can grow. But the baby plants inside the seeds will be “mules”. When you plant those seeds they will grow into watermelon plants that cannot make their own seeds. Instead you will just see little white spots or gaps where the seeds should have been”

Wait I missed something. lol

“The cholchicine treatment creates a “tetraploid” watermelon with four copies of each chromosome (44 in each cell)”

3 Likes

Yeah that’s the common way that would work by breeding. But there should be a way to induce it in a single cultivar too, without needing to make triploids :thinking:

Colchicine treatment was popular in the 80s and likely created at least a few of our modern cultivars. The variegation can come from it, for instance. There’s also talk of it massively increasing potency. But, ton of mutants and dead beans.

3 Likes

I doubt it’s colchicine, it’s been used enough it would have been found already. Maybe there’s something in there, but it’s too late here to read it now :slight_smile:

1 Like

Some type of gametocide(s) coupled with GA3 would be my guess :thinking:

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/pdf/10.1271/bbb.56.1619

2 Likes

Nice to see there’s still lover’s of steve works!

I put lot of energy by reproducing is old legend ultimate indica… and it’s true fire!

7 Likes

that’s cool to see the LUI still getting the love.
I’m playing with Dutchgrown’s LUI (ortega cut) x G13(pacific cut)

4 Likes