A Breeder Steve Thread

I wanna know more about legends ultimate indica

3 Likes

The guy is a legend! He’s forgotten more about cannabis than most people will ever know. He’s got what a 60k grow down in Columbia right now? Absolutely a pioneer. Thanks so much for making this thread and putting up those links. We appreciate it!

6 Likes

Still whinging about that? Lol, I guess I’m not the only one who respects the hell out of the guy. This guy just made a whole tribute thread to him. What he said about flowering times are that the same plants he’s growing up north in canada are finishing a week or two quicker in the warmer climate of Columbia. Gotta love it, a dude who grows a few plants thinks he knows it all compared to someone growing thousands of plants with 40 years experience. So many breeders still use his genetics too like Bodhi for one with his Strange Brew. Email Bodhi and ask him about Steve and he’ll set you straight as I know he looks up to him too.

5 Likes

I know when I have cold temperatures, it sure makes flowering and/or waiting for seeds to mature drag on…

3 Likes

I didn’t quite understand that as the warm weather knocked two weeks off ,I ass-u-me’d that it was the equatorial (being slightly more direct or closer to the equator )sun , that was the reason for knocking two weeks off an eight week strain,and I had to search him out in Switzerland to order some Sweet Tooth 3 seed somewhere around 2001 or so ,he definitely seem to not work to long with some people,but his gear seems to kick ass everywhere, and I can’t really blame someone focused and passionate about weed to not put up with or be slowed down by anyone,I’m pretty sure I may have suggested somewhere that I wish he’d run for Prime Minister in Canada here, wouldn’t that be cool ,and that was just based in his views on weed ,I don’t really know all that much about him ,but if he dropped seeds today,I’d try to find a way to buy them,where I’d run from any of Marc Emery middlemaned offerings ,
Although being down and out ,I’ve purchased hempdepot beanhoarder gear , out of desperation,and I’ve bought from Emery at least three times in the 90s before I knew anything about any of them , I really appreciate this thread ! Love and Respect all ! Just mho

2 Likes

Great thread! Crosslinking my report from @BreederSteve’s Swiss Factory :slight_smile:

11 Likes

Again anyone saying warmer temps take 2 weeks off of flowering time , is not being even slightly honest.

I don’t care if it is some fan boy on here or breeder whoever. Warmer temps do NOT make an 8 week strain a 6 weeker.

I also love how you try to make the claim sound more legit . Yup no other variables at play. It is just warmer in Columbia

2 Likes

Hahaha, that’s for sure. I’ve got quite warm temps, and my strains are all 2 to 3 weeks longer than posted flower times. I’ve also grown the same strains in close to freezing temperatures with no change in flower maturity time.

1 Like

Here is some daylight data that would more likely explain the quicker flower times rather than temperature.

Columbia

Toronto

August and September combined average for daylight in Toronto, Canada is 1.5 hours longer than Bogota, Columbia

I’m not by any means trying to discredit Breeder Steve. His accomplishments, accolades, and following are beyond most to ever grace the grow.

But, both science, research, and my, in comparison, little experience (over a decade of both indoor, outdoor, personal and professional grow experience) says that temperature will not speed up your flower time. Definitely not by weeks. I know growers that grow, mid +30°C (+86°F) and their flower times compared to mine from the same clones but grown in 22°C (71.6°F) have the exact same flower times

4 Likes

Why dont you actually listen to what he says, instead of basing your argument on what you heard from a friend?

He doesnt just link heat to faster maturation times. Why dont you listen to a longer explanation?

And having grown outside in canada for years, temps do affect finishing time for sure. Not really sure why people would claim otherwise. Idk about making an 8 weeker a 6 weeker, but temp has a huge affect on plants. This is both in terms of cold weather and warm weather

My plants did the best they ever did this summer because of our insane heat wave and warm nights.

8 Likes

First thing I did when I moved indoors was find out how hot I could run them.

Back before High Times, plant science read like “A 3 degree temp increase while maintain dew point provided 15% increase in growth rates”

Now it’s “Fuck your God, All praise be unto Breeder Steve peace be upon him!”

Why the majority of Cannabis growers can’t observe growth of their Cannabis is beyond me.

3 Likes

Exactly, Steve even references scientific data, papers and experiments at universities . But muh bro-science! I don’t know why this guy is so thinned skinned and went out his way to add his snark here when I thought we settled it and agreed to disagree. Guy needs a diaper change or something.

2 Likes

Tangentially related, but I’d kill for a sweet skunk clone stateside.

Borders can be porous, but that one’s hard to get here.

13 Likes

Is Island Sweet Skunk a breeder steve creation. I have read that it is white widow x sweet skunk but also read that it is sweet skunk x grapefruit. Either way, one of my favourite strains, and I had the pleasure of growing it last summer outdoors.

14 Likes

to my knowledge, Island Sweet Skunk is a Federation/Next Generation Seed Company version of the sweet skunk clone. Breeder Steve is the guy who popularized the Sweet Skunk clone.

I’ve grown ISS and the derivative, Golden Goat and love them both immensely. Hazy bright lemon soda.

12 Likes

I agree, I got some of it sent to me with the first seeds I ever received from someone on another board. Needless to say, I consistently will have some of that on hand, as it is such a bright wonderful plant.

5 Likes

I’m gonna make a bunch of beans for everyone and send them to Doug to pass out for free using the Sweet Skunk. I’m gonna use a Sweet Blue male which is half and hit up the original Sweet Skunk clone(NL5XHAZE) so it will be 3/4 SS. Yeah guys the Island Sweet Skunk is a White Widow male hitting up the SS. I grew it out too years ago and it was good as it seems whatever hooks up with Sweet Skunk turns to gold. It’s gonna be towards the fall probably before they’re ready but it should be worth the wait especially for the price. Here’s the Sweet Skunk at 40 days from Flip so still over 7 weeks to go as she goes 12 weeks.

21 Likes

Actually the only thing I agreed on was how ridiculous what you said he said was. I also love how you seem to enjoy name calling. You would fit right in over on troll it up. We don’t call people names here .

Now I am gonna go get my flowering tent up to 100 and cut 2 weeks off my flowering time…

5 Likes

I have a Dolce Sativa mom I keep. It’s a cross made by Chimera - Breeder Steve’s Sweet Skunk x DJ Short’s Blueberry. I made seeds with a couple of phenos I had. I out crossed but am gonna select and hit back to the mom. Slow burner project though. Anyway, it does have unique hybrid vigour. It combines sweet candy floss/ boiled sweet taste with those 90s incense church notes. I’m not a big incense church note person myself. This combo is quite unusual compared with modern varieties as most don’t offer up the best of both worlds. Most will be one or the other ime. The nose from a jar is distinct and kicks up and is as loud as any other variety I have. It is very strong also with an up effect with out paranoia or edgy angst feeling. I have offered out varieties side by side to friends and slowly but surely they realise that it’s different to the others, as cro as the others - kind of like listening to an album and dismissing and then re-listening and realizing it’s brilliance. Best way I can put it. I can send a couple of 10 packs of the out crosses to legit OGers. The two sweet phenos I hit to a Black Triangle male and a Headbanger male. The incense. earthy pheno (high was slightly different on this one) I have just a few beans of and will keep for another grow.

8 Likes

Btw, let’s keep it nice people. People genuinely getting upset by arguments that other people had and happened 20 odd years a go and announcing they’re off in a huff because another person said something they didn’t like. It’s just tedious shameful posting. Smoke a spliff and chill. Really fills up threads with nonsense and Breeder Steve is an interesting dude whether he irks you or not.

15 Likes