A Breeder Steve Thread

Cool, we can move this to the DM. I just pulled them out and it is a cross of Joey Weeds AK99 to his Blueberry. Then pollinated with Bluebonic. If that works for you. Interestingly I also have (AK99xBB)x (C99xA11).
C99XA11 is another Joey Weed strain, FYI.
And also JW’s Bluebery x (C99xA11)

5 Likes

@SHSC-1
This may interest you?

1 Like

hey thanx for the tag @shag
Breeder Steve and Spice of Life topics are of great interest to me.
Mainly for the Shishkaberry as I kinda dropped out of the scene in 05 and didn’t follow anything online till 2015. I got my original Shishkaberry seeds from the man himself after literally being dragged by my roommate at the time… to the marc emery seed bank store in Vancouver. I was and still am a very private, some would say reclusive, grower and individual, always prefering to keep a low profile. So this was why it ws so hard for my roomate to get me out of my growing bubble and take a trip to that heat bag marc emery’s store LOL I grew up less than an hour drive from downtown Van in the suburbs of North Delta but I’ve lived all over the lowermainland from downtown to rosedale and everything inbetween LOL
I grew shiskaberry from 98 when it was released , right up to 2005 when I was forced to leave the game for a while. I didn’t really crush that hard on other spice of life strains but did get vials of seed of each of his offerings and we also bought the entire “DJ Short Collection” as his release of strains was called/marketted as.
Anyhow… since late 2015 when I came out of the shadows and finally joined the online community, I have quested for legit Shiskaberry , both the original and the Shiskaberry 3 that came later and was created in switzerland I think??? probably mentioned in those podcasts and articles.
anyhow before I write a book here… I am embarking on a Shishkaberry revival. The thread is right here if anyone wants to follow along. Germination of seeds starts at post 35.SHSC-1 Grows Shiskaberry 3f2 - Overgrow.com
Will be starting with shiskaberry 3f2 seeds released by Ustad seeds in 2016.
I also sourced a quanitity of DJ Shorts 90’s blues on the premise that I would be using material from those seeds to bring the blueberry back into the Shishka 3 line.
I also have my own cross of 1998 spice of life female x 2016 ustad shiska 3f2
Some other folks have also offered to contribute shishkaberry seeds they hold and the quest is ongoing for genuine shishkaberry female cuts in Canada…
so there it is for the shiska lovers. I really want to honor Breeder Steve with this project and I hope I do it justice. :wink:

17 Likes

21 Likes

Does anyone still carry any of spice of life seeds or is the company shut down completely now?

3 Likes

Steve no longer sells seeds to the public, he’s doing development for large farms now, and has abandoned/passed on all of his SoL work to the best of my knowledge. On his personal website he says in the header “Spice of Life Seeds 1994-2003” so I think you can count on anything after 2003 packs not being breeder originals, exactly. Someone going by Kootenay on ICMag and other forums took over SoL at that point and I’m not sure yet how recommended those seeds are. He was running a forum and company named Deluxe Seeds at the time.

Fleur Du Mal/ @Baudelaire were given permission to be the preservationist of the Sweet Tooth line and he’s continued working Sweet Tooth #4 toward an eventual ST #5 release in the future.

He’s also just released a Ortega preservation, which Steve worked with to make his last release, Legends Ultimate Indica/LUI:

And LUI is kept in preservation as an F6 IBL by @KropDuster , I don’t see the seeds up on his site at the moment but he might be in the middle of doing a repopulation:

@SHSC-1 is starting a big Shishkaberry project soon, that’s his forever strain and he’s been growing it for decades, I’d look to his posts to find out who’s got the good Shishkaberry nowadays.

15 Likes

Very cool breakdown there
I actually traded some of the Shiskaberry seeds I made with @Baudelaire a couple years ago for a nice sack of those Sweet Tooth he was working on. I had hoped to remain in contact but that was on a smaller site that lost a lot of members a couple or so years ago.

as for finding legit Shishkaberry seeds.nowadays? I’m not aware of anyone working the legit gear that is dropping seeds anywhere.
if anyone has contact with Breeder Steve they can let him know that I plan to bring the Shishkaberry back to the people :wink: I hope he can give his blessing but he is a hard fellow to track down. LOL

11 Likes

You can try sending a message through his website, IDK if it’s checked often but it seems to be his professional forward facing web presence:

Your best bet is probably Instagram though, he’s still active on there, posted on December 12:

As for @Baudelaire , just send him a DM here or post in the Fleur Du Mal topic, he’s in here every week or two for posts and DMs as far as I can tell. He’s still super smart and helpful with sharing knowledge about older genetics and breeder history, and I just did a trade with him the other week, so I think he’s still gathering beans for many years of breeding and preservation, I’m sure he’d be stoked to talk to you about Shishkaberry, he probably knows a lot about it.

6 Likes

I have both of those. The legands ultimate indica and the sweet tooth 4.

5 Likes

I sent him a Message on his site yesterday. I will see if I can find him on instagram

3 Likes

Barney’s farm offers a shiskaberry, it was just released to get in on the hype, so it’s legitimacy is up for debate. i would avoid.

I have had a lot of issues trying to message him with some questions. I think the best way to get a hold of him would be twitter or something like that., its what a previous poster did with some success.

on his most recent podcast episodes he mentions trying to get something organized to sell seeds to individuals and to larger companies, but that will be for 2023. Additionally, he doesn’t really talk about bringing back to many sol selections and is looking at more modern strains, flavours, profiles, etc.

4 Likes

I’m dropping a new release of Sweet Tooth #4 F4 in a few days. Also doing LUI F7 run soon.

12 Likes

It’s the first time I’ve checked out your site, great looking stuff! Wanting to grab that LUI when it’s done.

Shishkaberry has been, and will continue to be, on the list. I think he mentioned Barney’s explicitly in the potcast interview, so he definitely doesn’t have good things to say. Understandable!

2 Likes

Sign me up for that LUI F7 :wink:
I am about to pop some 2009 vintage LUIx G13hp that came from Classic’s vault (RIP).

9 Likes

This was a pic from Colombia Steve sent me back around 2014.
I was consulting for a few of the first Rec grows in Washington state so I was talking to Steve every week about advice in switching from home grow to a few hundred lights and multiple greenhouses.
He was so open with his wisdom.

I tried inviting him down, but at least at that time, he wasn’t allowed back in the USA for having sold seeds across the CAN/US border.

Steve and Charles Scott are very underrated for having grown 100+ acres in so many different countries.

11 Likes

I’m here man. Your Siskaberry beans are scheduled to go through the preservation protocols in the next year. Very much want to get this line back out to growers, as well as the Sweet Tooth 5.0. Stay tuned, and thanks for sharing your genetics to help make this happen.
peace -b420

26 Likes

Hell yeah :+1:, can’t wait.

3 Likes

Hey that’s great news on the preservation front.
I’m kinda doing the same as far as preserving the shishkaberry goes.
The ones you have were from the 2017 batch (98shiska momx 2016 ustad shisk 3f2dad). I still have a good batch of those remaining and i just sent some of those same seeds to Josh Blue of Dark Star seeds. I am right now soaking seeds of Ustad’s Shiskaberry 3f2 that @PineTarBastard donated for a Shishkaberry seed increase. Those were the 2015/2016 release and are the same seeds the male comes from in the seeds I sent you.

fun times… good things are in the works in more places than one :wink:

13 Likes

Hello,
15+ years ago i was gifted with some clones, including a sweet tooth cut
i kept it 2 years and finally gave up with it as the jars did not go down, i was a bit tired of it.
Cruel mistake…
that cut was too couchlock and made everyone too stone to do anything
Pure smell of forest strawberries, the taste was pretty close to the nose
stretchy girl with no side branches, indica leaves, only golfballs every node, dense rockbuds red/purple calyxes with crazy amount of trichs.

i miss her so much
after some researches i found that cut came from an original first pack of sweet tooth
years later i popped some spg x bb from chimera in order to hunt something close to the one
chimera said it’s original st1.1 stock from sol, just renamed.
but the cut i kept had nothing to do with what i found in those beans…
then i realized that steve released the sweet tooth, i think chimera got this second batch, unfortunately the (or one of the) original blueberry dad was replaced as djshort lost it, if i remember well.

i got the spg cut which has a nice smell but pretty boring high and a common taste, got sweet skunk too, nice “old paper” haze taste, great yielder but imo nothing to do with spg
i got my hands on a shishka cut years ago, the ES “fresita” cut, i didn’t like its chemical strawberry nose, high and taste didn’t impress me, i think there is better phenotypes of that strain circulating
nice to see people still work on those genetics :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Just spoke to Jay of Federation and he had nothing but kind words to say about Steve and everyone. Steve’s been kind to me over the years, but definitely have heard diff tales from diff Canadian breeders iver rbe years that have relegated him to Scott Farms/Reef status. One of my favorite lines was the Blue Satellite 1.0. Koots / Kootenay Icmag deserves a big push for what he contributed so thanks to the above poster for referencing him

10 Likes