A dark day has NOT dawned in the Medical world!

It has finally happened???

It appears that an 11 Month old has actually died from exposure to MJ.

I too very much struggle to believe this!

3 Likes

I read that earlier today. I’ve also read there are other Doctors who are very leery of this diagnosis.

4 Likes

Don’t despair, it’s goverment propaganda, just like they do with arms control…

They don’t have any real evidence, just are trying to link it to the death. They are trying to throw Med MJ under the bus…

“…we believe there exists a plausible relationship that justifies further research into cannabis-associated cardiotoxicity and related practice adjustments. In states where cannabis is legalized, it is important that physicians not only counsel parents on preventing exposure to cannabis, but to also consider cannabis toxicity in unexplained pediatric myocarditis and cardiac deaths as a basis for urine drug screening in this setting.”

6 Likes

I like how they say “In states where cannabis is legalised”…so it happens to a child in a non-legal state they assume it’s probably something else?
If they can’t figure it out blame the demon weed. :disappointed:

3 Likes

5 Likes

id like to see lab tests done of this cannabis. maybe if they would fucking regulate the god damn medicine we wouldnt have poison being givin to fucking kids as medicine. this shit is rediculous. i can totaly believe this happening. you ingest deadly poison like eagle 20 and guess what!? you die…

3 Likes

I’m very sorry about this kid, but the story appears to be questionable as hell - note that only right-wing new outlets are even running the story - Fox News and Washington Times

this is not a peer-reviewed study - look at this part:

The authors report an 11-month-old male who, followingcannabis exposure, presented with central nervous system depression after seizure, and progressed tocardiac arrest and died.

How is that possible? The ECS (endocannabinoid system) cannot do these things. Cannabinoids cannot “depress” the central nervous system, and it has anti-seizure, anti-spasmodic effect - people take cannabis to prevent seizures. Looks like a pre-existing health problem coincided with cannabis exposure for this poor baby.

7 Likes

And here comes the retractions!!!

Washington Post: A case report about the seizure and death of an 11-month old after exposure to cannabis has prompted headlines about “the first marijuana overdose death” this week.

Except that’s not what the doctors meant.

“We are absolutely not saying that marijuana killed that child,” said Thomas Nappe, an author of the report who is now the director of medical toxicology at St. Luke’s University Health Network in Bethlehem, Pa.

4 Likes

link to Washington Post article:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/to-your-health/wp/2017/11/17/the-truth-behind-the-first-marijuana-overdose-death/

3 Likes

Thanks @RickSanchez for posting the link!

No Problem. Just to clarify though, that Washington Post article isn’t a retraction since they didn’t misrepresent the findings in the first place.

A lot of science and health articles are written by people without the training to the analyze information they’re presented with. Articles in secondary sources often present inaccurate speculation that doesn’t represent the original researchers conclusions.

3 Likes

Right you are!

It is good this story get a proper burial just the same!

I agree (20 characters)

Salutations,

Hummm…

With 200+ pesticides on the Washington list alone my guess is that was only meant to happen, so it’s not just most saddening, the thought it could have been avoided (assuming this intuition could make any sense) just makes it even worse, like there’s no stopping the quest for extremes… Because now i’d fear it’s many young persons who would be put at risk by obcessed blind self-serving ideologists!..

The war on people seems to gain in intensity everyday now.

Good day, have fun!! :peace:

3 Likes

Was originally thinking it was the “FAKE WEED” that is all over the market, but you bring up an excellent point regarding pesticides.

Throughout my gardens (flowers, fruit, vegs & HERBS) I use organic techniques. Fruit trees are a lot of work. It is expected that not all 100% will be perfect and that some product will be lost to bugs etc. It’s usually OK. Plenty left over when they have had their fill. For those who have extraordinary insect problems, there are few good answers, but leave the chemicals at the store. For everyone’s sake.

2 Likes

What are you talking about? This has anything to do with pesticides. The Washington Post article is about how a study is being misrepresented and used to claim that a 11 month old died from cannabis exposure.

Other news sources are hyping this and claiming that the death was the direct result of exposure even though even the authors of the study refute this.

1 Like

Only wondering if the child ate something other than weed, that is being called weed to perpetuate a lie.

No facts, just wondering.

1 Like

was it from accidental exposure or intentional dosing? did he eat a high thc candy meant for an adult? 200+ pesticides is insane. Canada has 17 and that’s already way too many. Can US producers spray dried flowers? Canadian producers can …

1 Like

This happened in CO not WA and I’m not sure where or how that 200 pesticides figure even came into the conversation.

The study basically says that an 11 mo old died of cardiac arrest and that he had THC in his system. They go on to say that it is possible that the two are connected since there have been other cases of THC causing similar heart conditions.

Conjecture about pesticides is irrelevant since there is no consensus on weather or not cannabis was the cause in the first place.

Please read the study linked in the first post or this article https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/marijuana-overdose-death_us_5a0effece4b0e97dffecfc68

Or this one https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/to-your-health/wp/2017/11/17/the-truth-behind-the-first-marijuana-overdose-death/?utm_term=.c27f6dee7d43

1 Like

Yes i think people were just speculating on other possible causes as it’s unlikely to be the cannabis. i’d be interested to know how many pesticides are approved for use in CO

edit: oregons list contains 257 pesticide products which “aligns with similar product lists published by Washington State and Colorado” - and i thought 17 was way too many!

1 Like