I started using test tubes when I was grafting. The tube rack is a sort of holding area. I take a bunch of cuttings and some get grafted, I slash the others at the cut and roll them in rooting powder. They sit in the tubes of distilled water, pretty happy, until roots happen (or not.)
Every couple days I pull the shoot out, put my thumb over the top and shake to airate the water. I top it off and back they go.
Could potentially keep 64 alive, if not thriving, until I decide what they want to be.
This Jillybean cut has been sipping for a week or so. She was on a designated pollination branch that was rotting at a lower node. I am hoping some of her has been polinated and that the water will be enough nourishment to let the seeds mature. It’s not looking promising.
The capped vial has water with caked rooting formula at the bottom. It was a failed experiment. Destined for a yard dump*.
Sipped tube water for a month.
No seeds, finally started to wilt. Interesting note. Tricomes did NOT mature on cutting in water. Still clear as they were when I took it off the plant.
*Don’t dump rooting formula into the toilet.