A Long Strange Trip

Someone sent me a pm and ask what I have been been up to since OG and man the shit I will tell you is hard to believe.
Lets pick it up in Florida where I got busted while online on IRC that resulted in Dannyboy bailing me out.

He put up his house to get me outa the joint knowing I was gonna Run.

This thread will go on awhile as I said its been a fucking journey.

Dannyboy
My First Strain
I want to tell you the story of the strain Dannyboy and how it got it’s unusual strain name. Before I tell you about the strain let me tell you about the man. Growers by the nature of the game are a secluded lot. The Internet is a great way to still have some form of contact with other humans while not exposing your-self to the security risk of having people know where you live or even what you do. Running a grow is somewhat of a “ball and chain as you have chores to be done at least every 3 days and leaving a large indoor grow can always be a security risk so a grower can become secluded without this outlet.
[/FONT] I met a guy in 1993 that worked in the nighttime and seemed to always be online in the early mornings a lot as he ran a catering company that supplied coffee and donuts to job sites. Yes Blunt ran roach Coaches and they made great chili dogs! Over the years we became great friends meeting for the first time at the Jungle Juice Café in Schiphol airport in Amsterdam. I found out his name was Danny and from that day on we became brothers. I talked he listened and we saw the sites together, always returning to the net and telling all our friends about the cool shit we saw.

Danny always had my back and without getting to detailed he helped me get out of jail many times on his own dime. In 2001 I was working in Amsterdam for a seed distributor and Danny came to the cup for his second time in 2001 and on the second day passed away in his sleep at 38. Seems he had some health and job related stress issues he kept to himself. He was acting strange the night before he passed, winded, and I asked if he was ok, he replied he just needed to lie down and that’s the last time I spoke to him. Over 200 stoners from the Internet attended his funeral. His parents didn’t know a man could have so many friends. It seems everyone liked the guy.

The only true way I could think of to honor this man was to name my first strain after him. He was a big fan of fruity tasty strains and loved the Killer Queen harvested at day 55. Once I found the line I wanted to work with we selected a few males of Ortega X C99 and did some out crossing. The best female was named Taco by stoner friends who made a joke about Ortega being a food company. The male was selected from only 2 boys but heritage is everything in breeding and either would have been a great father. The final product is a hybrid Danny would have loved.

Dannyboy the strain
tasting like Cherry Jolly Rancher Candy and just covered in thick large trichomes this plant is equally good as a head stash or a Bubble plant. It is so frosty I am sure the ratio when making bubble is very high. The dry kief from it is fruity and smooth and just lovely sprinkled on any bud. This weed smells and taste so much like cherries I was surprised at its finished color. Was just destiny and I am sure Blunt was helping from above…

From seed the plant stays very short with wide sharp leaf edges and a dark green color. Only topped once the females were just a short fat bush and as they matured very little stretch was present. Resin showed as early as 21 days and buy 30 days they reeked like Cherry gum drops. Later as the plant reached maturity it took on a solid white frost with a sour cherry smell, the first hit blew me away it was So tasty I was shocked. Once the buds dried and cured for 30 days I would just sit and smell the buds I almost got a Brandy snifter to do so. From clone the only difference in the growth was a faster finish

Dannyboy at our northern remote lab
At First she was just a favorite of Jill and I and then Sunycheba got a cut and then Badboy was given the duplication project and while at it grew out several females all cherry and fruity and potent. The strain finishes very fast which is nice if you run a bit short close to harvest our phenotype was at least 10 days faster than any other strain in the garden. Her down side is she needs extra vegetive time to compete and yield heavy in soil she starts off slow and doesn’t hit her stride in the vegetive room till she’s over 30” tall. This strain has been around so much it has gained quite a following and recently a good friend Irishfatboy smoked some with Wille Nelson. My favorite story from his travels with Dannyboy in his stash is a buddy that was riding with him and when they stopped to break they had some DB bubble hash his friend says “ The colors are getting to me I need to lie down. Irishfatboy sent me a great picture of his buddy passed out on a beach with a huge smile on his face.
Another grower Ganjaden grew out Danny in large tubs full of soil and his results were amazing with his first harvest from a single pack of seeds coming in at over 26 ounces from 6 females. The more people grew her out the more everyone liked her.
I once did a thread on Overgrow detailing the 2001 Cannabis Cup and I mentioned Danny and his story and basically we sold out of the strain over night. We also have a Dannyboy BX or backcross that is a bit larger and more Killer Queen Dominant and that sold out as well. There are a few packs around but its not an easy strain to acquire in seed form anymore. The good news is a great cutting is pretty easy to find as more DB has been grown out than any TGA gear!
We have just released in limited numbers a Dannyboy X Spacequeen hybrid I named Danielle, which will be a limited offering and is available now at Cannaseur.com. We are making Dannyboy 2 but the Taco male was lost and the new cross will not be released until I am satisfied its better than the original. Dannyboy was also used in Sunychebas cross Black Cherry, the Black Russian father gave this hybrid a vivid magenta coloring in some phenotypes there aren’t many left in stock.

Even though not many at Hightimes knew of him or about his death, Danny was truly an American Stoner working his ass off running a business and relaxing with a nice bowl after work. Unfortunately, due to the drug war it was usually brick weed, he never complained but he sure smiled when I sent him a care pack. He was the coolest dude I ever met and loosing him was like loosing my brother. He is truly the founding member of TGA and I miss him everyday.

Blunt
Aka Danny Dobson

14 Likes

So The night Danny died Gypsy started drinking and tossed me into the street I had no where to go so RC told me to get to Canada and he would help me and he did giving me some cash and even some flower and he never carried flower I will never forget that solid. I crash in Montreal for awhile and then head to Winnipeg But I flood the Peg with killer bud and the pigs come for me so I’m deported and I hide up north with Squid and in his closet I make JCB and JCBX.

I get a job at a HVAC place but one morning I fly through a speed trap heading to an estimate and they find the warrant. I sit 9 months in the Kenosha County Jail a fucking SHIT HOLE and the final day of the final hour Florida comes for me but then after riding a shit bus called Transcore for 11 days Florida releases me on probation and bans me from Florida forever.

14 Likes

Great story sounds like you’ve had some unforgettable adventures over the years ! Some serious frost on your plants great photos .

2 Likes

From There I head to Oregon Meet me Ex and spend 17 years building TGA then I gave it away in court to try and make peace and I formed The Dank and thats really all I will say about my marriage and that time period.
Great Memories and sometimes in Mariage you can loose a great friend.

I created some 48 stains from 2002 to 20017 when my house burned to the ground in Santa Rosa CA,

I loved growing in Sonoma county and there is so much more to the story but that will maybe be a book one day.

I left the house in Cali with the mail bin you see pictured.

Weed Pimps
It has been awhile since I have written an article and I think I have an amazing story to tell. In my 56 years I have held many titles, a student, a teacher, an outlaw a grower and even a cannabis breeder. I have owned companies and helped others start their own similar careers. Today I find myself with a new title, Weed Pimp! Let me explain…
After my home was destroyed in the Napa Fires I was basically in shock and very lost and confused. I had a new acquaintance StillWill, I had been working with as the Comptroller for TGAgenetics and we had started becoming friends. Were both Libra’s and have a passion for business and I had taken a liking to him. After the fire I was staying with Patrick The Soil King in Cloverdale Ca. Smoke was choking me to death and having a very serious effect on my Alpha-1 Will asked what are you going to do? I said I did not know so he said I’ll come get you homie. I picked up Will late at night from Santa Rosa airport and the resulting wild ride is almost like a dream and its hard to believe so I wanted to document some of it.
First, we visited Crazy Dago the host of The Grow Tube Roundtable for a few days. He lived far enough away from the fires to get away from the brutal smoke. While staying with Dago I saw him stream “The Growtube Roundtable” and it gave me the idea to shoot that Saturdays “Weed Nerd Live Show” in his studio. I learned a great deal from Dago about business and products and it made me more comfortable with the thought of taking on a new business venture. Will had been speaking with some investors about launching Subcool’s the Dank in Arizona so we said goodbye to California and got back on the road headed to what would be at the time an uncertain future. After a twelve in a half hour drive we landed at Will and Victoria’s home and I stayed on the couch the first night and Victoriousmedz made me an awesome dinner at 11 o’clock at night. The next day being unfamiliar with the area I took out one of the few items to survive the fire my phone and found a local Airbnb where I could lay mine and Tokke’s head for a while.
After a few good nights sleep in an Air bNb I had a sudden realization that I was no longer restrained to my garden like I was on the hill so I wanted to visit my Son in LA. I also had to quickly deal with the fact that all my moms and clones burned up in the fire. My business literally burned up in a fire and right in the middle of a busy time of the year when my fellow cannabis pioneers are gearing up for SoCal Hightimes and Emerald Cup. With so much to do I had to prioritize and formulate a game plan. First step was meeting my good friend Kyle Kushman in Hollywood in order to grab the Strawberry Cough and Stardawg clones. From there I could also pick up the High Times hash samples to Judge live online and meet with my son. So, Will and I packed up and hit the road again…
We arrived in Hollywood and checked into an Air BNB and let me tell you the streets of Hollywood are not paved with gold but garbage and junkies. Will was shocked at how dirty the city was and the place we were at was not much better. After a shower and looking at the used bed and stains I decided to bounce and meet my son in LA at Danny Treoi’s restaurant. Keep in mind I was very much still in shock of loosing everything when we pulled into the parking lot. No parking only Valet and in moments I had to jump out the car, pass off my keys, and it threw me into a panic. I don’t breathe well so out of an outlaw impulse not knowing where I was or how to remove myself from the situation I dipped around the corner to gather my thoughts with Tokke the dog. I kinda found a spot in the corner of the back parking lot and pulled my blades and held my dog. Will convinced me to calm down and come inside when I was asked to leave rudely because of Tokke, He is a registered service dog and his papers burned in the fire but the bouncer was having none of it. I again headed to the alley and shear panic with my blades out holding Tokke when I had a vision. I picked up my phone and made a reservation at the W in LA about 20 miles away. If you’re ever having a panic attack some 5-star service and a clean room can make a huge difference.
As we pulled in Beverly Hills at the W Hotel we found my son and then heard a loud CRASH! We see a car hit a dude on a moped so hard he flew through the air. It is probably a good time to mention this entire exodus was streamed live on Youtube. At the hotel we were treated like Kings enjoying HighTimes cannabis samples and enjoying a delicious dinner at STK with my son, his wife who at the time extremely pregnant, and Will. My son’s wife unfortunately could not enjoy the cannabis. Tokke was treated to a Doggie Box of treats and a nice flexible water bowl. I got some decent sleep that night and the next morning we headed over to meet Kyle Kushman at his grow facility. The mission to rebu

14 Likes