A Question For All You Bongsters

I’m 72 and have had an enduring relationship with our favorite herb for coming on six decades. Full disclosure, every aspect of that relationship has not been positive (cough, cough). I hack and cough far too much for a kid of my age. Perhaps you do too.

I found this thing, the MouthPeace, a while ago and have grown to really love it. I never hit the bong without it, and I only smoke using a bong. (I haven’t found a vaporizer or anything else that gives me the same, full spectrum high that I love so damn dearly.) Yeah, I still cough, but not nearly as much. The wife has even commented on it, and in a positive way no less! HA! Another plus is the filters are corn based, so they go into the compost rather than the trash. Of course, nothing is ALL good, and like other items of this sort, it’s the replacement parts that get pricey. I have a subscription for filters.

My question is do you have any suggestions/tricks for reducing the down sides from smoking (other than quitting, which simply ain’t going to fucking happen till I’m dirt-napping!)?

FWIW, the company (Moose Labs) makes a filter for vape pens too. I don’t vape much, so I don’t use them, but confident that they work too.

Thank you all in advance for helping me cough less. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

You can decarb and eat it too, no coughing!

These are my latest findings and musings, may it work so well for you too:

decarbed in two batches of dried bud, crumbled (sous vide: pot of boiling water with another pot on top with the dry bud, put a lid on the cooking pot containing the bud, make sure the boiling water always touches the bottom of the upper pot) at 212 F / 100 C for 1 hr 11 mins, then take out the half of the batch and let the rest decarb until 2 hr 22 mins, then eat 1/3 rd of a teaspoon of each batch before breakfast.

The decarbed cultivar I’m eating currently tastes like crunchy grilled cheese. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

5 Likes

Check into edibles, they can help you cut back on the amount consumed by bong.
I find it helps with the lungs {assuming I don’t go stupid… :wink: :vulcan_salute:}

Cheers
G

5 Likes

rso oil. eddibles , the bong is fun but the warm ups in the edibles
rso or rick sampson oil is a concentrate of cannabis that has been cooked down ito a tar, a black thc filled tar, strong and concentrated, you take 2 drops the size of a rice grain, your good for a while, to make it you need a big pile of weed, you pore that into a rum 151 or other high grain alcohol, vent very well or cook outside, stir and smash the black stew, cook until there is a small amount of bubbling or some small bubbles, this should look like a black tar liquid, put into syringe’s at this point when hot, let cool, a few hours later put a few drops onto something and eat,

edibles are great too, follow the decarb up top, really easy and you can add it to anything thats calls for the magical ingredient

2 Likes

Roor carbon filter : )
I can’t hit a bong without it

4 Likes

I have permanent lung damage from 25 years of smoking cigarettes (ugh). I’m glad I quit, but I wrecked my lungs before I did. Smoking anything just about annihilates me now, so I have to take baby hits or choke lol. I keep my inhaler handy, just in case.

Keeping the piece clean helps. Burning a bunch of resin and old crud not only ruins the flavor of your bud, but it is hell on your lungs. A soak in 90% rubbing alcohol, followed with adding either a tablespoon of rice or a tablespoon of rock salt and thoroughly swishing it around, will work wonders.

3 Likes

It sounds counter intuitive, but have you ever “hot ripped” your bong?

I don’t even know if “hot ripping” is really a thing but the smoothest hits i have ever had was using steaming hot water in my bong. It was strange, no doubt, but smooth and hits like a lung buster without the hack.

8 Likes

Mostly bongs here too.

Would like to say only, as (as i have had written as reminder across the top border of every computer monitor I’ve owned since the 1990s) Bongs Are Best, but there’s an occasional joint or edible too.

I’m aiming to improve the refined quality of what goes in my bong, rather than filter it
(as the stuff I want, I’m given to understand, is mostly the stickiest stuff in there, and so to filter, seems to me would increase the ratio of stuff I don’t want, to stuff I do want, losing a lot of the goodness to the filter).
Goodness in, goodness out.
Less expectorating (that’s the fancy name for coughing out the gak, right?)

PS, not a fan of big airy tube bongs. A small efficient bubbler, far superior.

3 Likes

I thought I was the only one who did this. Most of my buddies laugh at me when I tell them to use hot water in their bongs for a smooth and clean feeling hit. That smoke/steam combo is quality. :+1:

6 Likes

Yep, putting ice in a bong is like icy spiders wearing golf shoes tap dancing into your lungs. I’ve been a warm water dude for two decades. I also prefer minimal water for dabs, just go a wee bit cooler. something else i seem to be weird for.

4 Likes

Nice piece! @breadwinner

Very compact.

And I thought mine was optimal. Would like to toke a hit on yours to see.

Lower water to avoid splashes in mouth? [edit:(~looking at pic again, nah that narrow enough looking mouthpiece looks like it well splash-safe… am i even seeing it right though… that downstem or just oil in the body?]
The optimal water fill in mine is up higher near its double bubble neck. and moe about optimal position of the downstem on the glass, to perfect the bubble size. no glugs.

I’ll hafta get a camera at some point to show mine. … last two times someone asked online what my bong is like, I drew a picture. XD

ps, I prefer ice… or perhaps at least water 1-4C. if wanting to really go for it. Room temp’s fine 99.999% of the time. Not a fan of warm/hot/steam in the bong. Usually.

2 Likes

I’m going to have to try warm water. Always felt like the ice catcher in my tube made it smoother, but not exactly what I’m into. I’d love to have an alternative to smoking, but edibles just don’t work for me, so I’m looking for another, healthier outlet.

I’m curious to see what other folks have to say here. Thanks for starting this thread @mota

1 Like

That’s just a bubbler, four hole percolator. My logic is you can take the same size hit out of a 6 inch bong as a 6 foot bong. Just because it’s full doesn’t mean you have to stop and clear it :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

With dabs if there’s too much water reclaim cools and condenses on the inside of the peice and boogers form in the water… but I want all that in my lungs lol so in order to do that without scorching my lungs is cooler, appropriately sized dabs w less water, not hot n hurty with more water

It’s comes down to what works for you tho of course. Just my 2c.

Edit: that being said, I have been known to contradict everything I’ve ever said from time to time lol

6 Likes

IDK… I used hot water in my bong for a while, and it eventually just made me hack a lot. I think the steam causes the moisture levels in my lungs to increase too high.

I stick with plain, cool water.

Smoking well grown and cured homegrown has helped a lot with clearing out the gunk from my lungs, versus dispensary weed.

7 Likes

I would suggest finding a bong with an elevated spider percolator and an ice catch. The ice towards the top of the bong will smooth out the rips significantly. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I want to thank you all for your informative answers. Never tried warm water, so that’s clearly on the agenda. (Where’s my bong?!) Thanks in particular to @ifish . I didn’t know about Roor’s carbon filter. Definitely going there!

1 Like

It’s amazing
Whenever you use your bong without it the pull is all yellow and dirty , with the filter it’s pure white
The yellow is Unburnt carbon in smoke what makes you cough
Hit still there and you can inhale like teenager again with no cough deep into lungs

Plus bong stays amazingly clean as does water in it
For ultimate hit use herbiron with it , well worth the money @mota

The roor carbon filter is not a gimmick : )

Let me know what you think when you try : )

3 Likes

I almost can’t even smoke flower anymore. It screws up my sinuses. I vap every day and don’t have the same problems. It is completely different smoking versus vaping. What works the best for me with little to none on side effects. Edibles and Vaping. I smoke some just for my quality check on my flower. Guess I’m getting old.

4 Likes

@ColeLennon if you have bong go the roor filter ( the cleanliness of vaping with the hit of the bong , best of both worlds kindoff )
And for joints go carbon roach filter that @Papalag recommends

Feel young again : )

Paps you need that roor filter in your life : )

4 Likes

Ain’t nobody getting younger. Amen

5 Likes