Absolute Beginner on a Budget

Only reason I want to use the old T8s is they are already here. LEDs are definitely in the future, I just need to save more capital.

Fortunately I have part of a degree in electrical engineering and technology. DIY LED no problems once I can source the parts, draw up a board. Money in the end. I’d love to expand outside too, but we have a small yard so limited area for a greenhouse. We may be moving in the next 5 years, to a more friendly state, so I’m trying to keep it movable. Otherwise I’d be tempted to buildout a grow cabinet, I built theatre sets for a year so I’m a competent carpenter.

Good to know I’m in the right place, all the threads here are daunting to just start reading but you guys always post helpful advice with a thread link often! So glad I joined up here.

5 Likes

I live right by one; don’t know why I didn’t think about that! I have a friend that works there and keeps an eye out for things for our theater, I’ll talk with him and see if he can give me a holler the next time they have something.

2 Likes

Then do your best with just put a line of clones (barely any veg time) right up to the bulbs and adjust height as needed.

1 Like

Color spectrum is what I’m most worried about, I can build LED panels for a few bucks and an hour of soldering but I’m worried on using an improper spectrum. Any guidelines on what wavelengths and on what proportions?

1 Like

Just a thought…there are tons of 0 dollar hid lights out there in the trash. It’s what I did starting out. A little diy to make them remote mount, and something you pulled out of a dumpster is just as good as a high dollar hid set up. Biggest difference being it most likely will have an old magnetic ballast…but who cares? You are on a budget right?
Look around at what society throws away, you will find you can live well on it. I have built a house from the trash. No joke. And for those that laugh, I bet my place would put your mansions to shame​:rofl::joy:! Especially from a cost stand point. (10+ acres and 5000 square foot house…under 40 grand all up, and paid for.
That is all from the trash. The windows, the siding (I make it from oak pallets), our flooring, appliances, all of it. If it doesn’t work I fixed it.
It can be done👍

9 Likes

check that DIY thread about making your own - they have some very cheap builds going on there

the thread listed is the best place to ask, those guys have it nailed down

7 Likes

Just for some encouragement, and to show you it’s real, and can be done
I am not special by any means.

8 Likes

My “DIY skills” got me in trouble, and I’m discouraged from bring curb pickups home… you start one fire and all the sudden you’re “dangerous”.

I for sure will keep an eye out on Craigslist, and other places. I scour them regularly for other categories for work, might as well see what I can sneak into the basement when no ones home.

9 Likes

If I gave up after one little fire, i would still be living in my van down by the river🤣

11 Likes

then by all means go for it, just be aware of the monthly cost of running them as well as heat management - what seems cheap up front may be a false economy in the long run, but saying that I grew with T5’s and T8’s for years and grew some great bud.

3 Likes

I am the king of budget I think, so always have ways to do it “low budget…outfuckingstanding results”
I live life proving “you get what you pay for” is a straight up lie👍

5 Likes

Will only be for a crop or two, LEDs are a first priority as well as a good tent. The savings I get off my $65 an 1/8 dispensary flower twice a week will cover some decent upgrades in a hurry.

11 Likes

Check out the DIY thread for tons of info on that, but I think lots of people are going with 3500k for a middle of the road spectrum. If you mixed you could do some 2700 (red/orange) and 5000 (blue) for a good blend. You can even get UV strips now to add a bit of that in, just be careful because I believe they can fry your eyes.

1 Like

@ChemicalDependant man I wish there was a huge laughing emoji I could put for your fire comment​:rofl: :joy:

3 Likes

Eyes, skin too up around UVC. Non visible light ain’t no joke. I won’t be the one tending the plants, except remotely (fortunately I love automation) so anything I set up needs to be caretaker friendly for daily maintenance. I should be able to automate most of it but the trimming and training. I should be able to do them myself.

Edit I ran out of replies for my first day, so I’ll have to get back to you guys tomorrow, but trust me I’m reading. Y’all don’t know how happy I am to be here, this is a life changer. Other sites I’ve found are outdated and give conflicting info. Love this place.

7 Likes

I thought this was a budget build🤣

4 Likes

Ya anything uv is really optional so I wouldn’t bother for your first grow.

2 Likes

In my experience of myself and some friends, its easy to waste money, I say think hard and long,not just the present but your plans for later. I am watching someone right now start out, they bought all these cheap led lights that don’t amount to a hill of beans,honestly he could do better with cfls . But in the end these are his mistakes to make, I did try to offer advice lol. I did it myself, I bought digital fans and humidifiers and dehumids then the power goes out,and they dont come back on…And they dont allow the use of controllers.

1 Like

It can be done, some potting soil and some old fluorescent lighting should get you a crop. Its not going to be top shelf, but should offset those $60 eighths until you can invest in better equipment.

@ToddMcC tells a story about how he started growing with some pots, soil, and fluorescent lights he found at his grandmother’s. I love that story.

11 Likes

same problem here 20 years of growing inside

equals a shit ton of equipment :slight_smile:

peace and be safe

Dequilo

5 Likes