Across the 8th Dimension

Spent a while reading the thread, love it!

Gotcha. So the Hydrologic is your RO 100 gallons/day which meets your needs. Pond pump to the mix tank, where you have bubblers and another pond pump it looked like.

That was from last season. Assume you’re up to the same deal. What are you brewing? I assumed because of the pH measurement you were doing hydro, not sure why you would do that (have a pH monitor) in organics but didn’t see anywhere in particular you mention exactly what you were feeding.

Compost teas? I’m familiar with adding nutes to those but have been playing with top-dressing this year. I kinda paused on the compost teas because it’s been so hot - the water reaches 90F and I feel like the tea peaks in less than 12 hours. Curious what your input is there for hot-weather tea brewing, especially if you are getting nutrient extraction going.

I would use RO out here just to eliminate the unknown of water contributions (in my case I’m worried about Na), is that why? Are you municipal or well? Maybe to get rid of clorine or cloramines if you are doing organics.

Thanks, sorry if the questions are mundane I’m just curious.

6 Likes

Yes, that’s it :point_up_2:. I like the R/O because we have shitty water here. That particular tea was a compost, alfalfa and kelp combo, I’m certainly no expert, just stabbing in the dark here. I watch my ph because most of the time my plants are in smaller containers and things can get fucked up pretty easily, it’s not living soil or anything like that.

7 Likes

Roger that.

Are you doing a hybrid synthetic-organic combo? What nutes have you been feeding so far?

Synthetic-Organic hybrid sounds like a good way to go - I really like the idea of having a better idea what are the immediately available quantities of various things. Still have the microbes, still have beneficial funghi and that stuff.

FWIW I’m starting to really see the appeal of hydro, you have control of individual elemental levels. It’s not a slow-responding system, you can make immediate corrections.

4 Likes

This year it’s been a combination, been using Osmocote along with some Bio Canna.

4 Likes

Can’t argue with the results! Looking great :smiley:

4 Likes

I fed them some Alaska fish fertilizer tonight to try to slow the yellowing, I also pulled a runoff test, Lands at 6.3, not too bad.

7 Likes

Everything is looking good amigo. Bt ftw! I lkke those brutes, they hold water well. How does the blue can do? Does it stay uniform or bow out when filled?

3 Likes

Seems like your set up pretty good with the watering system. Wouldnt take much, a sump pump and $30 in drip tube n parts to plug in a drip system, if you have close access to elec.

3 Likes

Thanks man, those blue cans do great, they totally hold their shape, they’re very heavy duty.

1 Like

I use the brute buckets and a stealth too, great minds! Mines a 250 though, I’ve been using these brutes for 6 years, never a single issue, what’s the gallonage on those big recycling ones? I have a grey one I grabbed from a neighbor they were tossing when they moved, things brand new, looks like it’s never been used and still smells of fresh plastic lol, my only issue is size as my brute fits in the closet, so all is tucked away nice.

3 Likes

My Brute did great for me for 6 years, retired it never having a single issue, the blue totes are 96 gallons, I really love the wheels, being able to roll them around is priceless, but obviously those probably wouldn’t fit in an average closet. :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Ive got about 8 or 10 of them but most have holes in the bottom from using for hydro resevoirs. Now they are trash cans with drains :laughing:.

They make wheels on frames for the brutes that slide right into the bottoms for anybody that needs mobility with them.

5 Likes

I’ve seen those, great thinking :+1:

3 Likes

Had some wind yesterday evening, it had me a little worried but everything rode it out just fine.

9 Likes

Good call, didn’t know they made those, at my old place I had all hardwood, I made one from casters and 2x4’s but took it apart and repurposed for my buddies rain barrel as he had surgery and can’t lift/move much weight, I’m gonna look at the pre-made especially if they fit in the closet too!

4 Likes

Oh man I definitely need this in my life! Double capacity YES PLEASE!

3 Likes

A few hedge shots….

16 Likes

Look like they are handling the heat fine. :sunglasses: :metal:

2 Likes

Yeah not too bad, I think the shade structure really helps, it’s a little bit of a wind blocker too.

4 Likes

They are growing fast, a few of them are getting close to the top , they are looking very healthy.

3 Likes