Addicted to HAZE - Haze only thread (Part 1)

I was under the assumption that leaf color is one of the coupling factors associated with the leaf energy balance by way of altering leaf absorption which influences leaf temperature and water loss.

I thin lighting spectrums with ample to significant green wavelengths would coax out these darker shades of green in the genetics when phenotypically possible to show. You don’t think it has anything to do with that? Much love

1 Like

That’s quite the lineup. Bathing in the sun too :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Oh have a few more less hazy girls baking under the sun too.

2 Likes

Them ladies probably start owning my rent and shit in a month or two.

3 Likes

No it has to do with Nitrogen, and ph

Look up Nitrogen toxicity if you give a plant to much do you think Nitrogen Toxicity has anything to do with Light spectrums???

1 Like

My veg room uses all CMH… My flower room uses mixed CMH/LED. I don’t think the lighting has an impact. I use to run 100% CMH in Flower and got the same. :call_me_hand:

8 Likes

refreshing to see someone using cmh in flower. before leds would you flower in cmh as well? or did you mix it with hps?

3 Likes

Yes. I started with HPS like we all did long ago. When the new CMH tech hit I got 1 630W LEC fixture and tested it vs HPS in a 5x5 and loved it… After swapping to all CMH in flower they crushed the results I got from HPS. CMH has always given me excellent results. I dont think Ill ever grow without using them, especially in veg. About 5 years ago I started testing LEDs and like what I got so I swapped out a few CMH. LED helped reducing my power use as well.

12 Likes

Nah, adding silica makes the leaves darker by enhancing chlorophyll production

3 Likes

I dont use a lot of silica. 1ml per 5g every 3 weeks. When I up pot I use RO with Microbes only no nutes in veg… In flower I dont use Silica and dont feed ever time… Its feed, feed, feed, RO, feed ,feed, feed, RO.

4 Likes

I think it depended on what side of the planet you lived in on what Thai sticks were called in Australia we called Thai sticks Buddha sticks or Thai Buddha.

The Old Thai lines had a unique type of high and you find that along with the old Colombian type affect in the Haze i am surprised more people dont bring this up.

The color of the leaf and look of the leaf varied from high land and lowland Thais the highland ones people in the us called chock Thai had a broader leaf to that of the low land Thai lines.

I found the Thais to have a more darker Green like this Thai.

His a pic of a Thai in the field growing in the 70s.

26 Likes

Nitrogen deficiency and toxicity seem to have direct relationships with photosynthesis, and photosynthesis efficiency seems to be largely dependent on which spectrums of light a given plant has evolved to utilize most efficiency with environmental temperature and water availability playing a critical role as well. Too much or too little Nitrogen seems to effectively initiate observable leaf color responses within the plant in unique ways to alter it’s rate of photosynthesis while it begins to recover and achieve equilibrium with it’s surrounding environment. Nitrogen is for sure a part of the process, but plants do things for a reason so there must be a reason for the observable differences. What function does a darker green leaf provide a plant that has a nitrogen toxicity?

I believe in addition to excess bioavailable nitrogen, an increased and more intense spectra of green light than a given plant is used to receiving will express similarly noticably darker green hued leaves for a similarly functioning result of managing it’s energy load to maximize it’s potential for photosynthesis across time. Much love

2 Likes

Yeah I thought I read on icmag that you mentioned switching to CMH a while back. I’m sure not all lamps are the same but some quick armchair research seems to show the Hortilux 315 CMH is more abundant in green light than most other horticulture lamps. Full spectrum LED’s are also noted to share a similar distinction I believe. While not as drastic in terms of ratio percentage of total energy, MH lamps have more green in their spectrum than HPS and typically give way to darker green lusher foliage within a canopy than HPS alone as well.

I’m pretty confident it has a lot to do with the amount of green in the light more than anything else within this context. Appreciate the feedback. Much love

4 Likes

Interesting correlation of silicas contribute to the process of photosynthesis by way of its impact on chlorophyll production. I appreciate your enlightening reply, it’s helpful for gaining more perspective. Much love

1 Like

This was the original haze from agseedco that I liked the most, flowered from seed it stayed a dwarf and was a little weird lookin, from clone it grew along central cola about 20 inches with loads of lateral branching colas that went about 2/3 the way up the central cola that also produced large colas towards top of the plant, extremely strong and didn’t ever need any suppport. Flowered at about 18 inches and finished around 4.5 feet tall and was ready to harvest at about 12 -13 weeks.Used this pheno to make a reproduction with pollen from 4 males and hit with reversed unicorn poop pollen to make fems
This one Had a piney, sandalwood and funky profile and reminded me of trainwreck or jack Herer.

30 Likes

Nice plant @GreenHighland! Would you have any extra for trade?

2 Likes

Are you talking seeds? Thanks btw, if you’re talking seed I def have a few to spare.

5 Likes

Hi @hempy , I appreciate your perspective. Thank you for the helpful reminder to remember that they’re just words and sometimes words and terms change with location. This helps place emphasis on conversations and discussions rather than debates. I actually have no personal experience with Thai sticks, and the reference was from the perspective of the author Laurence Cherniak. Likely going on what was learned on his travels and a fascinating peek into a moment in time from these antiquated cannabis producing regions of yesteryear like Thailand and the other tropical regions that are seemingly largely responsible for the attributes of haze.

Additionally, your mention of highland and lowland varieties and their morphological distinctions is germane to the conversation as at elevation and within higher latitudes light rays are more scattered. It seems likely that these distinctions of variability across environments would lend to these observable phenotypic expressions and their evolutionary adaptation of the available light energy. The variability in temperature and rainfall seem to shape attributes throughout the leaf morphology as well.

Your cannabis knowledge and knowledge of it’s history, especially the antiquated traditional varieties and types, is much appreciated and enjoyed. I totally believe there to be some fermentation going on in that crate of Thai sticks. Possibly multiple ferments as it slowly made it’s way from harvest in Thailand, through the hot and humid jungles and ports, eventually finding its way in the hands of it’s consumers. That’s such a cool picture and I greatly appreciate the visual aid. It’s a helpful learning tool. Much love

8 Likes

It’s not something I noticed going all the way back to my HPS years. All my hybrids from back then were also Dark olive green. Those pics are on ICMAG. :call_me_hand:

2 Likes

In other words it has nothing to do with “Green light spectrum “ thank you for proving my point. :grinning:

By the way really nice job on keeping them super green I always use Peters and mine are always green but never that luscious green!
That’s why I was curious what nutes you ran maybe going to swap! :pray:t2:

2 Likes