Seeking knowledge of the Haze variety

When they speak of " Dutch Haze " ie " I don’t want to create a Dutch Haze " what exactly is meant ? Does this constitute certain terps / growth patterns ? Or literally collective work of Dutch breeders on equatorial sativas to get them to finish in their climate ?
Seems that Haze means different things to folks . Some want the citrus Thai side , some think that’s heresy & want the incense livery Colombian side . Me likey both .

2 Likes

A quick Google search yielded this -

I always thought haze was a phenotype.
Ie - amnesia haze was a clone only plant from a batch of normal amnesia seeds/plants.

2 Likes

check out the haze threads at icmag and mr nice forums, the bigherb article, the haze episodes of a podcast called the breeders syndicate with matt riot and notsodog, and the gypsy nirvana interview with sam skunkman

4 Likes

The SSH has NL5 & Skunk in it to cut down on flowering time , Amnesia has Afghan for same reason . Doesn’t answer my question though .

1 Like

A Dutch haze is what might also be called a watered down haze because it is been bred with indica genetics to reduce flowering times.

This is to said have been “Dutched.”

Although I’m sure some serious haze came through Holland.

6 Likes

Read 'em some good info , but sensory overload .

Haze originated in California, then was taken to Europe by Sam Skunkman. That’s where it all gets murky. Things were crossed to it to take flowering time down, certain breeders made claims that may or may not have been a bunch of bs, and multiple companies started to sell their own version of it.

6 Likes

Haze is a term that is often attached to strains that have nothing to do with haze,
Haze was created in California from a handful of genetics and people have been referring to everything that has been bred with them as this or that haze for a long time.
Same thing has occurred with og kush , I can’t even begins to tell you how many plants are called something og when the og kush was bred to one time many generations prior.
Haze is a genetic line not a descriptive term.

8 Likes

So it means that a Dutch Haze is / will be a Sat - Ind hybrid not a " puro " . Funny as there’s a certain individual on ICM that thinks Nevilles Haze is THE only true haze & it’s been " Dutched " .

4 Likes

Yes this is my understanding.

There’s a school of thought that to be “skunked” means the same thing making for the confusing definition of skunk

5 Likes

So basically the slapped the label “haze” on anything just so it would sell. I honestly always thought it was a pheno that showed haze like properties and effects from a particular strain. :roll_eyes:
I think I need to do some investigation and homework. Cheers @Heritagefarms

2 Likes

Amazing what happens when there’s money involved .

6 Likes

Haze comes out of central California coast and I’ll save you some time , the haze brothers did not breed it they moved it…the crazy guy that drew the poster disappeared into Mexico and the rest is based on Sam skunk mans stories besides a few older folks who remember haze and skunk from before Sam took it over seas, but those people tend to not remember or speak I’ll of the before mentioned fellow.
You have nevils version of the past and sams and there both second hand knowledge when it comes to these specific lines

5 Likes

So it was a clone only like I stated??? :rofl:

Amnesia haze is from soma and there is a cut that floats around that is his and a particularly good pheno , but the haze that made haze known was a mix of various genetics that went in different directions based on who had what and what they did with it.

3 Likes

Nevil got Haze from Sam, one story says he got a bunch of seeds, but only could get a few to pop, resulting in Haze A, B, and C. B was the only female, and he decided, what the hell, might as well kill it, leaving only A and C around to breed with. That’s where you get nl5/haze lines of “A5”, and “C5”. Another story is that he was only given two Male plants, and never really had a female, and that his Haze was a cross to Thai or some other thing. I’m pretty sure Nevil later said he got Haze from NYC. Nobody really knows anything other than Sam took it to Europe, and the rest is just stories.

2 Likes

Original Santa Cruz Haze is according to legend a sativa hybrid containing everything from Mex , 'lumbo , Thai , Indian & who knows what else . Ditto with OG Kush as you stated .

1 Like

Seems like the history is rather “hazey” :rofl:

9 Likes

Yes that is haze the mix from Santa Cruz area, could of had any mix of those genetics in it depending on what stage , also all the older growers I know in Santa Cruz keep a old heirloom Malawi, well used to I’m not sure if anybody still has that plant. I know equilibrium genetics used the Malawi in a lot of there earlier work.
I would assume most people are familiar with some sort of haze hybrid like nl5/haze or the silver haze , super silver haze etc 1980 was over 40 years ago.
Todd McCormick has recently sold what are claimed to be original haze genetics , all depends on what you choose to believe and from who you choose to believe it.

6 Likes

ALMOST anything out of Holland is a NON “Puro” effort!! Not saying anything about quality, Dutch Breeders, because of Growing Conditions, seem to cross most of their Stains. Some have actually moved their Operations closer to the source of seeds. Looking for “puro” is a difficult adventure these days. That’s why so many want to preserve the known Landraces and, if possible, discover more. That’s purely my opinion, btw. SS/BW…mister :honeybee: :100: :pray: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

6 Likes