Addicted to HAZE - Haze only thread (Part 1)

Yeah they looks like the old pure sativa days
I’m just hope that may behave differently outdoors
I have always thought that pure sativas are for outdoors, where you can see their fullness

3 Likes

When i started to grow all we grew was true breeding lines i didn’t know what a hybrid was.

I have inbreed Thai lines from the P1s 10 generations on Never saw what many claim.

If you know the Hybrid line and you select for the types you like or for the quality and reduce or eliminate the unwonted i see that as improving the line not bottle necking it.

That is what i did with the Nevils Haze.

4 Likes

Well, really you are narrowing the gene pool by selecting out the types you don’t want. Call it bottlenecked if you will, but the quality of the end result is dependent on your selection. To create a stable IBL, narrowing the gene pool via selection is the only approach.

It’s also difficult over long periods and lots of generations to avoid genetic drift, as we can only select for visible traits, this would be why breeders lines may vary over time and todays, ghost train haze for example might be very different to the original. It’s all down to selection.

5 Likes

This is what selfing vs inbreeding looks like.

This is Queeny a selected F1 Mango Haze test seed.

This is one of the F2s i made using a F1 male over Queeny.

Now these are the S1s.

21 Likes

You don’t preserve anything this way, you let the plants narrow themselves the genotype. And it’s generally not in our favor, as stoners.

Considering the average constraint of growers, i find it legit. But this is not the only way.

Open pollination or not, it’s technically happening anyway each generation at the moment you don’t outcross it.
Better to be at your advantage that not.

I do it by example when i’ve to screen out the herms. It’s not a system, just cares that are no longer popular among breeders. It’s even worse, selections tend now in favor of herms.

I can’t disagree.

No, it’s more binary than this. Plant VS You as the breeder. The output can be even more “preservative” (with strict inbreeding) when humanly drived, you can save recessive subgroups and to stabilize them before they disappear naturally. Oh wait, it’s the whole common story of cannabis with humans in fact ^^

No. You can expand it also. It’s a matter of methodology applied in accordance with the generation you have under the eyes.

The knowledge of the line generate enough specialized skills to avoid it. And multiple strategies to avoid it are used in hemp since ages. With cattle too.

If you don’t give a fuck to map your line, only. And not in sequencing it in your kitchen, the old fashioned way. You have a bazillion manners to map “invisible” traits, epigenetic leverages being only one of them.

Are you kidding ^^

2 Likes

Well i see it as removing the unwonted and strengthening what i conciser as quality after all we are talking hybrids or poly-hybrids here.

The main reason strains people buy and grow like as an example like Kali Mist has changed over time is not because of genetic drift but more the loss of parent plants by the breeder.

As soon as you hybridize a line you have genetically changed it for good so if you people want to preserve lines you should in theory not hybridize.

We breed plants for many reasons some breed for faster flowering others for larger yields others to stabilize and so on.

3 Likes

Yes so everyone is starting to think open pollination might be a good idea? Novel :smirk:

3 Likes

I advocate the strict opposite.

So you are saying you can’t do both?

1 Like

No, i say that an open pollination don’t output any control (in any way). Which i think is rational and blatant.

I just mean you are maintaining more genetic diversity this way, sure there will be natural selection, and in the true sense, open pollination is something used to preserve heirloom varieties that already breed true. You are always going to be constrained to some degree by the environment, but open pollination is the preferred method for seed saving, at least this is what I was taught.

True, I guess population size is a factor here. More is always better.

I need more of a technical explanation of this before I can agree. Homozygous by definition is a reduction of variability/diversity is it not?

I am not familiar with this. Please explain l.

Of course I am, it was just an example.

2 Likes

There is no control, but it maintains all of the genetics present in the population used for open pollination, which is why it is done .Nobody would argue that open pollination is selective in any sense. The only way to improve desirable characteristics is through selection. This is Genetics 101.

6 Likes

3 Likes

I would call this genetic drift. It’s the slow change of a variety due to change in the genetic makeup. In your example it happens because the breeder in left to rely on subsequent generations to carry on the line with those subsequent generations having differences to the original.

But it’s also just as achievable through breeding from plants that don’t exactly breed true to type just by slight differences in the genetics of the plants you select.

Lol. Noted.

2 Likes

4 Likes

The best way to develop hybrids that breed true is not to use specific plants. Rather, develop two lines that when bred with each other in open pollination will breed true F1 hybrids. This takes many plants, but is still achievable. Then, rather than maintaining clone lines, you are maintaining seed lines which is far easier to do.

This is how corn, soybeans, etc. are bred. Cannabis is open to this sort of breeding, however, it is far easier in a gynocentric (gynoceiuos?) breeding program.

4 Likes

Exactly, after 12 or so generations of careful selection, you don’t really have a hybrid anymore but an IBL which you then can use to make true breeding F1 hybrids. Hardly anyone goes to these lengths with weed however.

3 Likes

Which is why cannabis is such a polyhybrid mess these days.

2 Likes

For sure and also why you can get a pack of Bhodi’s F1’s and end up with 10 different plants. No disrespect intended.

Selfing is inbreeding, more so than when making regulars. It’s why relying on selfing is a good way to more quickly fix traits. It’s also why it’s easier to end up with genes that you don’t necessarily want.

3 Likes

Tasty looking El’

4 Likes