Addicted to HAZE - Haze only thread (Part 1)

There is mention of Egyptian mummies showing traces of both nicotine and cocaine or it’s derivates as well as Peruvian mummies showing trades of THC hashish or it’s derivatives. Many blessings and much love

5 Likes

As we know the Norse landed in Newfoundland and settled there for a time around 1000AD, and that the Norse of that time used hemp to make ropes, sailcloth, and textiles, it is likely cannabis arrived by perhaps not by a Tallship but rather a Norse Longship IMO. It would explain why early European explorers 500 years later mention wild hemp in their journals…

6 Likes

Vikings: instigators of the drug war.

4 Likes

This is Malzilla F3 at week 17 made by F.O.T.H back in the OpenGrow days. Its Sannie’s Shackzilla X Afropip’s Malawi Gold.

10 Likes

@Foreigner Am I the only one who gives a fuck about The Cannabis for Vikings Act of 1006AD sponsored by Lief “Stoner” Ericsson around here?!?!?!

f89f069593adedeb5554be0e8c56b875

10 Likes
6 Likes

Well hemp arriving “new world” before drug type varieties is possible

4 Likes

The British called cannabis Hemp pre prohibition they had no need to minimize the amount of THC in fiber plants and most were drug strains grown for Fiber seed and oil and used for rituals.

Industrial hemp is the result of prohibition and they are all patented.

4 Likes

It makes fully sense. I believe sometime in the middle of this gamble both varieties were mixed together and also brought together dispite what would be used for, and drug types in filtered as hemp

1 Like

100 percent correct. The Inca did not use cannabis. Cannabis is native to the Asian continent and make its way into Europe through colonization. Cannabis was not introduced into the Americas until the Europeans began to colonize the continents, which subsequently led to the fall of the Incan Empire
Cannabis is an Old World plant, likely originating in Central Asia. It was brought to the New World by the Spanish for growing hemp for rope, and by that time the Aztec and Inca empires had ceased to exist.

7 Likes

This discussion should probably take place in a different thread but I do raise my eyebrows at how certain people seem to be about the timeline about cannabis spreading to the New World.

Like I say it has been proven that the the Scandinavians / Vikings of the early medieval era used hemp regularly for textile production.

See this study

Do you think it likely that when the Vikings settled in Newfoundland that they would have decided to only bring flax seed with them and not hemp/cannabis as well? Especially as sailcloth and ropes from Longships was made of hemp and sailing was such an integral part of their culture… I have my doubts. Like I say it would explain why Jaques Cartier talks about seeing wild hemp in his journals. Remember he was the first “Non Viking European” to explore this area. The Spanish had not been here yet.

4 Likes

Fighting rot and PM on the Canadian coastline since 1066

8 Likes

So I recently crossed original Haze with an heirloom piff-type Haze, and have some extra seeds if anybody would like some to grow just shoot me a message with your info

17 Likes

Very generous of you! I bet someone will take ya up.

2 Likes

I have been sacrificing a goat to Odin for the last 3 outdoor grows and zero PM or rot. When I chop my plants down with my blade, I say a prayer and vow I will meet them in Valhalla.

9 Likes

Warrior goats or regular goats? It makes a difference.

6 Likes

They were conscripted… soldiers but not by choice?

3 Likes

Indeed it has, and I have a hard time believing that they’d have spent their time in Vinland without bringing hemp along, excavations in Newfoundland have shown that they had a weaving room in their boat repair facility, besides a bog iron forge and other manufactories. What were they weaving with for the century they were there before the Little Ice Age hit? After that they abandoned the settlements in an orderly way, heading home and leaving behind hemp genetics in North America.

Archaeologists have shown that they traveled and traded south into more temperate regions, likely accessing the trade routes of the northern nations of what would eventually become the Haudenosaunee or the Six Nations Confederacy, the largest pre-Columbian civilization in the Eastern Woodland region crossing into the Great Lakes. They extensively practiced what we call permaculture or food forests nowadays, and would have easily seen the personal and trade value of hemp as a multi-use crop that was hardy and acclimatized well without much human input. They favored plants and trees that could be encouraged but not directly cared for, and hemp is exactly like that. Incidentally also the group that would encounter those first French trapper/colonists/missionaries who are recorded as the first to plant hemp in North America, and they would have folded those genetics into whatever they already had.

https://www.nature.com/articles/srep02686

4 Likes

I think the Little Ice Age is actually a big issue missing from these discussions of ancestral cannabis and its spread over the millennia. It was a lot warmer in places we think of as cold before that! It’s the only modern period in which glaciation actually increased, in Switzerland they lost whole farms and villages to glacier creep, for example. But before that dip, take Greenland: it was very green and temperate, with much a much wider array of wildlife and plants, because it was at least a few degrees Celsius warmer on average. That’s why the Vikings colonized it in the first place and then the LIA is why they abandoned it largely to the Thule/Inuit since then.

4 Likes

As much as love this discussion, I feel like we have strayed from Haze Only part of this thread. :upside_down_face:

@moderators Perhaps some of the posts here should be moved to here? or some other landrace thread perhaps to help keep this thread topical.

3 Likes