Addicted to HAZE - Haze only thread (Part 1)

I grew some durban this year that smelled of spice, like Indian curry spice, fkn wild because it was a selfie and the plant it came from didn’t smell anything like. Could these be recessive traits bleeding through. The plant also finished with a complete purle hue. The pics are on my grow journal hello overgrow

2 Likes

A better picture of N-Haze x O-Haze)x APPSS. I was not expecting to see such a short plant in these. …

11 Likes

In all fairness to @hempy the Duvall illustration surely isn’t the totality of diffusion and is rather oversimplified in of itself. I say that from the perspective of Duvall being one of my favorite cannabis research authors. I think he’s one of the most top notch in the field currently but feel there is lacking mention of other routes for example possible transpacific trades happening across the Indo Pacific migration all the way to the Americas.

The map and timelines Duvall uses is just too much Columbus discovered America for me. Feels that there’s a bunch missing. Not that those are necessarily untrue routes or dates, but rather they aren’t the only ones and there are many many more going in all directions with merchant traders playing a fairly significant role. Many blessings and much love

Edited proper spelling of Columbus

4 Likes

I agree completely. The Greeks mined copper in North America long before Columbus.

Anyway, there better be some cannabis in pre-Columbian North America, because I’m planning to spend my next lifetime there. :crazy_face:

3 Likes

Graham’s Eyes. Not counting the days, this lady is gonna take a long travel to do.
Supposed to be a sesqui hybrid but she looks like some old dump tropical landrace

6 Likes

Hiya Dirt well its not a gross oversimplification its FACT mate.

Pharmaceutical company’s didn’t take cannabis to Colombia it was all ready there taken by others long before they showed up.

Some years ago i watched this great video on how this researcher believed cannabis originated in Africa then spread to India but i am not talking origins of cannabis or what happened 10.000 or even 2000 years ago.

I was referring to cannabis being introduced to places like south America places around the Pacific even Australia and Caribbean and so on.

Cannabis was vital for new trade roots and vital to military power.

2 Likes

Thanks @hempy , she still keeps the NH lineage although I’ve crossed her with a wedding cake x skunk in hope to some more easy going. Which did not happened. I use mixed industrial leds with mixed temps but I have to play with more, this week I will put a CO2 kit

3 Likes

That’s an old history myth before we learned more about the Great Lakes Copper Complex, that was all Native Americans. If the Greeks got copper from Michigan it was through indigenous trade networks connecting the Great Lakes peoples to the Northern Woodlands peoples on the Atlantic Coast. Maaaaaaybe the Greeks got boats all the way to the Copper Complex or sent a legion across land to haul it, but there’s no evidence that it was them doing the copper mining we see traces of in the spoil mounds and smelting scorch marks that are there.

3 Likes

Yeah that’s totally fair, I doubt Duvall has the complete picture and every historian has cultural bias. I do think indigenous cultures did a lot more long distance ocean travel than we usually give them credit for thousands of years ago, and the Indo-Pacific route is certainly ancient

@hempy again with the trade routes and military power! You are thinking in a modern way about prehistory, it doesn’t work that way. Nobody was trying to project naval power or build empires across oceans five thousand years ago, not in the way you’re imagining. Transoceanic trade would have been sporadic, often accidental, and mainly concerned with finding or bringing small trade objects of great value. If a person brought hemp seed to trade it wasn’t to build a plantation to bring rope and sailcloth back, it was because they were shrewd or lucky enough to bring something with a lot of trade value. All this you’re talking about comes later in the modern era, before then empires were largely local/regional. You need to abandon the settler mindset to think about these things correctly and accurately based on the history we have available. Think migrants and sailors not soldiers merchant kings and emperors and you’ll have a better angle to look at it from

5 Likes

No i am not talking modern times i am talking about country that have had a cannabis culture for many 100s of years.

Lets take the Inca Empire is there any recorded cannabis being grown or used pre the Spanish arrival ?

I have not read any.

3 Likes

Direct from explorer Jacques Cartier’s journal from his in 1534 expedition commissioned by the King of France where he explored the Gulf of the St. Lawrence River.

This is less than 40 years from the Spanish landing in South America with still VERY little European exploration into North America at all. There are other first hand accounts that talk cannabis about during first contact with the indigenous people in North America.

The florentine Giovanni da Verrazano wrote thoughtfully of the natives encountered during a French expedition to Virginia in 1524:

“We found those folkes to be more white than those that we found before, being clad with certain leaves that hang on boughs of trees, which they sewe together with threds of wilde hemp."

I figure if they were using hemp as threads they surely had some sort of cannabis culture… perhaps not with the high thc varieties that originated in other places. Seeing as they obviously used it as a commodity pre contact, applying the same concepts like using the best squash or corn to take seeds from for the following year was practiced by the indigenous peoples here. I’m sure there was some selection of cannabis going on.

Yes hemp was important during the Age of Sail. But I do think its silly to think that cannabis wasn’t in the Americas pre colonial contact, when first had accounts seem to point to the opposite.

7 Likes

The Spaniards brought hemp to the western hemisphere and cultivated it in Chile starting about 1545. In 1606, French botanist Louis Hebert planted the first hemp crop in North America in Port Royal, Acadia (present–day Nova Scotia).

Like i said.

2 Likes

I posted some first hand sources from the journals of European explorers who were exploring and meeting the first nations people for the first times. I have no idea where your pulling that from…

Even then you should notice the Jacques Cartier expedition was 10 years before the Spaniards “brought hemp to the western hemisphere” and 70 years before the 1606 date the first hemp crop was planted even by your own mysterious source.

Especially the fact that he mentions that the hemp comes up without sowing seed or tilling ground suggests to me hemp had been around long enough to acclimatize to local conditions and flourish.

8 Likes

Hemp was invented in 1784 by sir Roger Augustus Green

5 Likes

You focused yourself “this time is gonna be a practical hybrid” but the mess begins

8 Likes

To be honest I am very excited, NH/OH line meets w. Cake and skunk. Surely a plant to be remembered. Drawn in honour to a girl’s eyes named Diane :blush:

3 Likes

Indeed. That’s why besides the success of Manga Rosa there were ain’t to no landraces firmly stated down there. What it’s known is they were brought either for rope by the french , either by slaves from Africa. I still believe that no jump ever occured from Africa to Brazil .the indians recreative drugs where mostly smoke “high octane” hyped on nicotine tobacco plants

3 Likes

My shoes are made of hemp and were imported to the new world. Makes you think…

4 Likes

They arrive by a tall ship ?

3 Likes

I was told it was potentially an invasive species but I didn’t care.

5 Likes