Aerating water while mixing nutes(soil)

Does anyone Aerate their water while mixing nutes? I tried a search and can’t find much. I seen a YouTube video a few days ago and the person had a fish tank airpump with a stone aerating the water while mixing nutes to feed his soil garden, i am wondering is this actually beneficial? Looking to hear anyone who does this and also what everyone thinks about it in general.

Here is the link incase anyone is interested where exactly i seen this.

5 Likes

Yeah, Ive heard of that too, and I dont have a ton of experience doing it but I was doing it a little bit as a result of seeing some guys here aerate their water with an air stone…I believe @AUM does this, or used to. Maybe he can help us here about if there’s any benefits from aerating their water/nutrient mix?

4 Likes

I just add it to a gal jug then add water and shake the piss out of it. No issues here

6 Likes

@anon81143130 this is my method as well but i am always interested in anything beneficial especially if it’s fairly inexpensive.

3 Likes

Not sure I really see any benefit other than making things more complicated than they need to be. The main problem with us stoners growing is we get all smoked up and constantly what to do something with our plants.

We are in love with them and want to suffocate them with affection. Constantly looking for better ways to show them more and more love in hope of a bigger harvest.

Mother nature grows some huge massive ass plants without aerating the rain water. Any oxygen you may have put in the solution would very quickly dissipate. Most likely before it even hits the soil.

8 Likes

Hey Rand, hey Rob,

greetings :slight_smile: Since I use the no till methode I give my ladies only fresh fine water, it is tap water ph 7 and I enhance it with a bubbler, with watermatrix (Tesla Tech), with prayers and blessings, with informated stones :wink: I have very good results :green_heart: Growing fine Automatic Ladies in Germany / Second Go! :)

6 Likes

After reading your post @anon81143130 that makes alot of sense I think i will just continue what I’ve been doing just shaking the shit out of it.

4 Likes

Yeah, I thought you aerated your water!

3 Likes

You have DEFINITELY got a point, there! I am probably the numero uno helicopter gardener in this place! I KNOW that its NOT good and so I hafta limit the time I check my plants out! I have literally put methods in place to curtail my over doing things. You couple that with a mind that is prone to forgetfulness and its a recipe for disaster!

4 Likes

Glad you got you question answered, man, and HAPPY GROWING!

3 Likes

If mixing a single use feed , to use immediately , then shake ( as well as mixing ingredients you’ll still be aerating to due to the air in the bottle too )
If mixing up a Rez for many feeds over time etc then mix and continually bubble it ( keeps fresher longer etc )
If you have tap water and you want to remove the clorine quicker than just letting it stand for 24 , then bubble
: )

10 Likes

I found using a small submersible pump with “waterfall” great for mixing. Just toss bare pump into bucket/res.

Extra plumbing in this pic…goes to chiller.

Jacks with Floralicious.

7 Likes

I always keep a 5 gallon bucket full of water bubbling with an airstone, then I use it to mix nutes as needed and refill it. It can’t hurt and must oxygenate the water a bit. I also thought it removed chlorine, but I’ve read that most municipalities use chloramine now which doesn’t evaporate off?

Either way I like the bubbles and it makes the water seem more ‘fresh’ when I’m ready to use it lol

7 Likes

Water quality is my profession and has been for 20yrs. @beacher you are correct…chlorine is a gas and will off gas removing a large portion aerating. Chloramine is a liquid and stays suspended in the water.

I can tell anyone here that the air your putting in the water with a stone will disappear in about 15 sec after you remove the stone.

Dont believe me ? Try pouring it in a clear glass, water with air will look very cloudy and milk like. As you stare at the glass you will notice it getting clear from the bottom up.

Water it the most dense substance on earth and oxygen is obviously not. Should only take about 15sec for that cloudy glass to be clear. BOOM !!! oxygen gone

5 Likes

The air bubbles may be gone , but the dissolved oxygen level will be at its peak for the temp of that water kind off

4 Likes

@randrobertson522 its definitely hard to just leave them alone. Those lovely ladies are like your mistress. First thing you think about in the morning and last thing you think about before falling asleep.

3 Likes

@ifish something as simple as stirring the water once the air stone is gone will remove dissolved oxygen.

Dont yall go and give me something else to obsess over. Wife already thinks I like my plants more than here. She might be right :joy::joy::joy:

2 Likes

I would have thought stirring the water would help maintain the DO
Time heat and bacteria are the things I would think remove DO from our rez

1 Like

Why I dumped air.
0. I use RO / Coco.

1. Hated the buzz of airpump.
  2. If effed with my nute PH.

Also read that both water temp and DO are not as critical for coco.

Still learning more with every grow, and from you folks.

2 Likes

I’m only really interested in keeping my Rez fresh and not going off as quick
@GramTorino when I was being taught I thought the same thing ( messes with ph ) but I was told to stop complicating things and just ph as normal and it has always been fine , I don’t bubble my Rez like dwc jacuzzi , just one air stone in 50L just enough to keep DO ticking over so Rez stays fresher longer ( like fish tank amount of bubbles )
@beacher , maybe get a container of tap and smell it , then bubble it for 12 hours , or leave it to stand for 24h and smell it again , if it still smells the same then maybe you have Cloramine if it loses its smell then you might have clorine , not sure on that , just thinking out loud as I don’t know if Cloromine smells

2 Likes