Affordable DIY 6 X 8 x 8 Greenhouse

If you have garden or roof top space and a hardware store in driving distance, this is a pretty cool project. Materials:
2 8’ 2x12’s & 1 2x12’ (or 2 2x6’)
2 fences panels. I think I got hog panels or horse panels. Anyway they were 4’x 16’ I think.
Roll of [4 Year 6 mil UV Resistant Clear ](https://www.amazon.com/Green-Store-Greenhouse-Resistant-roll of Polyethylene clear UV resist 6 mil I got the large roll good enough to cover 2 times about $100)
10 or 12 tube foam pipe insulation small diameter
16 Metal strapping or plates. (see pictures)
Electrical tape
zip ties
box 2 1/2" exterior wood screws & some 1 1/2 " screws
4 garden pavers (I used 4"x8"x 1 1/2")
8 2"x2"x6’

Cut the 12’ 2x12 in half or use 2 6’ 2x12
Make a 8’x6’ rectangle using the 2 1/2" screws. Paint the bottom 2 or 3" with primer to help delay rot.
Set rectangle on level, cleared ground with a garden paver on each corner to allow air come from under the green house.
Tricky part - If you can’t get someone to hold the wire panels up, lay them across the width of the box so they overlap. Don’t go past the ends of the box.
Use 2 metal straps and 1 1/2" screws on each panel to fasten to box.
next tricky part. - bend end of panel to the other side of the box and fasten with metal straps.

You now should have an open ended 6"x8" x8’ high frame.
Attach panels together with zip ties.
Attach tube pipe insulation to front, back and where panels join with electrical tape.
Cut 4 2"x2" boards to fit front and back. Cut angles to generally fit angle of panels. Attach with metal straps. I placed mine wide enough in front to fit a hand made funky door. In the back to fit a small window.
Cut 2"x2" to go from uprights to sides of panels to brace panels. Connect with strapping.
Cover with poly and secure to 2x12’s with 1"x1/4" lathe (See picture.)
Use lathe to fasten poly to front and back 2x2 framing.
Done! (I have added a “Snap Fan” and a 100Watt solar panel connected to an adjustable thermostat.)

Corner showing joined 2x12’s, lathe holding poly and garden pavers

Metal strapping holing down panel

Tube insulation and zip ties holding panels together

Framing of front

Close up of framing strapped to panel

exterior rear, showing fdraming and lathing

Good luck!

17 Likes

Here are a few pictures of the green ouse and solar panel and snap fan. I’ve had this for 3 seasons. I’ll go one more, then change the poly.

25 Likes

Good work EpiKatz, I would never of thought of using fencing mesh like that👍

2 Likes

Thanks Jango. Actually, I got the idea off the internet and added a few touches like the pavers to keep the whole thing off the ground and the lathing and the window in the back for circulation. After the first year i learned to keep the door and window open at night or condensation would, soak the plants. The totes are clear which keeps the roots from the edges. The totes worked too well, because the roots went through the holes in the bottom and the plants grew too tall, filled the green house. Used 3 and 5 gallon pots this year, kept the plants perfect size.

2 Likes

Really nice build very creative!

1 Like

If I din not have my plants pollinated by wild pollen I would do the same.

1 Like

One of the features of this little greenhouse, if you have 6 plants in 3 to 5 gallon pots in their, one is bound to be a male. When you want to pollinate just shake the male and you got everything pollinated. LOL! I did that once with the fan going and window open. I think I pollinated every plant within 5 miles! :roll_eyes: Now when i get a male I can take him out before pollination to another secure location, gather pollen and do the job myself.

1 Like

Just wild ditchweed did my plants two years in a row. Decided not to have outdoor plants after that. The seeds turned into crappy plants. Eventually tossed them.

1 Like

Thanks Wubba. The hardest pat was getting those panels in the van. Took me and a guy from the store bending pushing, twisting awhile to get it done. I got my hands scratched up a bit and the greenhouse got a bit asemetrical. But it works pretty good.

1 Like

I m building something similar for vegetables. Was going to for weed at a family members house in a legal state but my states unfortunately not legal and they flaked out on me. I bought everything already so kind of have no choice but to use for vegetables.

Mines out of 1-3/8" fence top rail. 6mil anti drip and UV resistant poly. Channels secured to the rails with self tapping screws and wiggle wire to secure the poly into the channels. 4x4 PT wood base anchored 4ft into the ground every 6ft. To the wood I will set a 1" galvanized steel companion flange and 1" x 6" galvanized threaded nipple. This will set into the fence top rail. Will use a cotter pin set through the nipple and fence rail. This should unitize the structure.

3 Likes

Good luck!