Air brushing pollen?

Could be a nice low tech option, I like it :+1:t2:

You ever heard of someone doing that?

2 Likes

No, but I might use it to pollinate a whole small tent in the future.

2 Likes

Heck at $5 a pop, you could just keep the pollen in there and tape it off for later use maybe…

One issue I see though with it is how would you know when you ran out of pollen other than a branch not producing I guess? Empty it out someone how? Might be a pain/mess…

Maybe with the air brush I think they make clear containers at least…

But I still like your idea :laughing:

1 Like

Honestly forced air + pollen to me is a recipe for pollinating your entire grow area.

I prefer grabbing a small, clean paintbrush, getting the plant out in a still air area outside the tent or room, and dabbing each node of pistils.

I’m pretty OCD about pollen though, that shit can fly for 10 miles.

6 Likes

I do it all the time and just use a cheap brush from the Dollar Tree store and just brush the lower budz of my pot plant for just a few seeds.

I pollinated my Carolina Reaper pepper plant from last year just 1.5 weeks ago and now I have peppers growing the middle of February…

Even hand pollinate my Venus Fly Traps

15 Likes

I hear ya, would be nice to learn a method that keeps the force air method contained though.

I was thinking, taking some air out of the bag prior and only a short quick squeeze of the trigger, hopefully it wouldn’t push it out of the bag much at all.

1 Like

I know the brush pollination success, I am curious about this other method or really what is the most efficient if you didn’t have that much pollen and were trying to get the most out of it.

I know some people will cut it with flour or whatever to also get more out of it, but I am curious about the most efficient application method, this is why I put this thread in advanced techniques I believe.

No knock to you guys posting, I appreciate the consideration FYI.

1 Like

Perhaps just adding some pollen to the bag and using compressed air to stir up the pollen? I don’t know if pollen would work in an airbrush. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

I swear I saw it somewhere, maybe I just dreamed it lol

Holy crap! Never seen a venus flytrap flower!!

1 Like

There’s a member here that has a few carnivorous plants…check out my thread…

Phototrons…SWC/TRON

1 Like

If you just want to pollinate a.couple of branches. What you can do is cut a hole/ holes in a trash bag, put bag over plant and carefully fit the branch/branches through the hole and then tape it up around the branch and pollinate. Wait a few hours and spray with water the trash bag and pollinated branches, floor and surrounding area and remove trash bag and put plant back in flower room.

1 Like

I know @TreeTop is an airbrusher
Maybe he could give it a go sometime!

1 Like

@Shadey is also an airbrush artist. Maybe he knows. :grin:

2 Likes

I have never tried using an airbrush for pollination, the air that comes from a compressor usually contains a lot of moisture, even with a moisture filter. The way moisture damages pollen I think will lessen the chance of success.

Air from an airbrush at 6 inches from target will be about 2 inches concentrated with anorher 6 inches outside that of overspray area.

Then you have to think about air pressure, and how much you would need to push pollen through the airbrush compared to how much will damage the bud

I would think a paint brush would be more accurate, I have a very fine soft makeup brush that I have used.

I will have a play with some flour and one of my bigger nozzle airbrushes, and see what occurs.

3 Likes

Thank you, would def like to see how that works.

I wasn’t thinking of spraying the pollen directly at a bud, but like I mentioned, to a bunch of them in a bag…

I have a lil bit of experience with compressors having parted together pieces for an air atomized aeroponic side build so I know a lil bit about moisture in the air…

I personally have three filters it would be going through, I forget all their specific names…

I wouldn’t think it’s enough moisture to effect it negatively much, I mean I doubt it’s much of a higher RH than ambient.

It’s so weird though, I swear I saw this being done and now I cannot find it anywhere for the life of me lol

1 Like

Last night I was thinking about my breeding cabinet, as I chopped a big Oregon Huckleberry boy down yesterday, that managed to sneak into the flower room :cold_sweat:

I am planning on using 2 OH males and a Ogers female but not quite yet, and was thinking how I could get all the pollen that drops on the floor in the air and moving about.

I thought either a small fan on the floor pointing up, or drill a small hole in the side of the cabinet, and stick an air jet blower on the end of the air hose and blast some 120 psi air in there for a couple of minutes :smirk:

1 Like

Hmm, maybe if you had a clean vacuum, like maybe a shop vac, you could put a hose from its outlet to the cabinet and maybe take off the filter inside of the vacuum?

1 Like

If you are set on the air method I think the simple rubber bulb syringe mentioned above might be good

otherwise I’d just use a paintbrush, you can be more efficient with the pollen that way

3 Likes

I don’t have much experience with airbrushes, but using one for pollination seems a bit like trying to use a jackhammer where a screwdriver would do the job.

Don’t see any advantage to using that much air/pressure to move the pollen and there are lots of others methods that have less chance of causing any damage or stray pollen.

1 Like