Air / dry curing for Rosin for budder like texure

Does anyone out there do the initial air or dry curing differently when planning for rosin? A few months back I harvested a couple of strains and as I hung them up to dry we had a couple of days of very dry, hot winds. This cured the buds much faster and after 6 days the sugar leaves were dry and crumbling already. I trimmed and bottled it and took a few buds to make rosin with. The rosin came out awesome. Lovely gold colour and very buttery on almost any temps.
This has me wondering if curing for rosin extraction could be different than just straight flower

8 Likes

The far left rosin is a strain that is usually like syrup and a bit of a pain to scrape up but was much better constituency on the fast dry cure

1 Like

Yeah mate. Buds for smoking need a little longer IMO. You get the best presses when it’s been dry and jarred just a couple of days. A small amount of moisture retained seems to give you a decent return when pressing too I feel

5 Likes

You still do the same setup for both though when doing the air dry? Wondering if I try simulate the hot/dry winds it could lead to better texture and look? Might have to try some tests myself

4 Likes

All my buds get dried in the same fashion. Stick them on something spread out in open air for a few days (yes in the light lol). Once a bit drier they go somewhere darker untill ready then jars. We don’t have got/dry here mate. We have moist and cold :joy:

4 Likes

We have moist and hot here, super funsies trying to cure buds when it 80% humidity all day long. I built a box out of cardboard that fits in my flower room. Buds are curing at 55% humidity and +/- 25 Celsius

3 Likes

I usually dry around 21c just Ambient house temps. That’s the majority of the time here btw on the weather front :expressionless:

1 Like

This is lights out in my bloom room ^^^^^^

Ouch, we have some dryer weather during winter. Best time of year to cure if you just hanging it up in the house. Until a dry / hot wind spell hits. Really odd weather phenomena to have during winter.

I’m going to hang some buds right above the dehumidifier and see what happens with them.

1 Like

Best time here is definitely summer for curing. Can’t wait till then just to see my heating bill go down a bit lol

3 Likes

The best flower rosin for me is when it is just been in the jars for a few days or so, as @anon58740919 said. As the bud cures, the rosin gets darker IME.

4 Likes

Not a great comparison but a mate of mine brought some month down generic bud to press the same time as I pressed the cherry tart. My returns around the 24% mark down 5 days jarred for 2. His around 10% and as you say a lot darker. I’m not a seasoned presser though don’t really rate dabs as much as I enjoy smoking a fatty lol

3 Likes

Pressing stuff around a year old. No difference in yield, just color as dark as my soul.

13 Likes

That just confirmed he grows shit bud. Cheers lol :grin:

2 Likes

according to google you want 55% to 62% RH for rosin pressing.

Which sounds about right, a few days in the jars after its done hanging.

2 Likes

When I am going to press Bud, I place the Bud I will use into a jar with several Boveda 62’s for 3 days or so BEFORE the press. IF the Bud is dry, like 50 -55 % (where I like to smoke my bud) yield will SUFFER!!! Tested it, saw for myself. I now smash Bud @ 62 % or I do not bother wasting it!!

JMHO

5 Likes

I was thinking more along the lines of the texture and smell / taste, not so much the yield. Got enough bud to mess around with. The rosin had a waxy almost bubble hash like texture to it and great turps.
I was pressing at 75 Celsius for 2:30 to 3:00 minutes. Got only 10 to 15% return, so lowish yield

6 Likes

I don’t usually press bud, but I think dry is better for hash. Maybe I’ll do a side by side and see, but I usually make dry ice hash and then desiccate it further before pressing.

In the press, water makes steam, and I don’t really see that being beneficial, although I don’t really know for sure.

4 Likes

Same Bud in both cases:

1 gram Bud @ 52 % humidity level, pressed to 13 % return
1 gram Bud @ 62 % humidity level, pressed to 20 % return

Same Buds, same press, same time/temp.

Hash DOES NOT work the same way, need to be dry like Lefty is saying, Bud, needs to be wetter

7 Likes

Yeah I’ve been getting similar results in my bud presses, the rosin is good and nice yields when it’s got some moisture. So with the fast drying that happened in the hot wind, the outer parts of the bud was dry to the point of crumbling but the inner part still had moisture as it was just 4/5 days. Somehow this combination gave me this texture which I’d like to reproduce:

7 Likes